1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard lefts from post 1 missed because...?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Very simple question and I know I read the answer somewhere but can't find it and don't remember what it was.

Shot a 96 in a 100 target event today. All the birds I missed were hard lefts off post 1. Two were fast climbers and two were regulation. I read somewhere that most hard lefts off post 1 are missed by right-handed shooters because they shoot _________ them and/or _________ them. What belongs in the blanks?

Morgan

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Morgan...........Where do you hold your gun when you call for a target on Station 1? Ifin you ain't holding 6 feet above the house, then you are chasing the hard lef target up from the house. That ain't good. Hold high and simply and smoothly swing the gun horizontially to the left to intercept the target and fire when you catch up with it,BUT....keep the gun moving at the shot. Try it, you'll like it! There I went and gave away another secret about how to shoot hard lefts and rights.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

CAPT MORGAN try this. Hold gun off the corner about a foot but lower. if targets are higher hold higher. DON'T move gun or EYES when you call for target. When you call for target and see target, let it go than go after it in a smooth swing. Don't let target control you. if you are missing you are usually chasing the streak as i was doing. i have increase my hits from number 1 and number 5 station by doing this.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm glad the intercept method works for Hipshot3 cuz it would never work for me. I hold a low gun 6 inches over the house max and track the targets flite path and let er go when I catch up to the bird. For Post 1 get your feet positioned for the hard left angle so you don't have to swing your arms. Phil Kiner says most hard left angles for right handed shooter are missed low and in front probably because if you are gonna crossfire Post 1 will be where it shows up. I have to use a crossfire preventer front bead.

5. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Simple as one, two, three. 1.Set machine on hard left. 2. Stand on post 1. 3. Shoot 300 rounds every practice session until you learn to hit them. If you can't learn to hit them, you're screwed. Because you can already shoot 96/100, there is nothing wrong with your hold, stance, gun, shells, mount or lucky socks. Most of the people in this sport will try every fricken thing in the world except practice.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Thanks to everybody that replied to my question. To answer some of the points that were made:

I've never been able to hold a high gun. Even though I shoot with two eyes I find I acquire the target much more positively if I hold less than a foot high (yes, I've measured it with a foot tall object on the house roof) directly above the corner of the house. Targets always appear above my barrel and I will hold lower when visibility is poorer (clouds, twilight etc).

I use a light-full choke for everything: .027" constriction in a .740" bore. I rarely ever chip targets or shot off the heads or tails. I either shatter them or miss them completely.

I looked up some old "T&F" Phil Kiner articles in which he talks about arm shooting by right handers on post 1 after miketmx mentioned Phil's name. I'm going to alter my stance and focus on my turns to the right on 1 to see if that is my problem. My eyes tell me I should hit them but my shot doesn't agree.

Morgan

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have seen Phil Kiner prove time and time again that people usually miss a target like you are talking about because they don't see it well, try to rush the shot, and end up being low left of the target ... He is not only a good guy, a great shooter and teacher, but not bad with a video camera also ... Some of the storys that camera of his tells are almost unbelievable with all of the jerking, pushing, and shoving of the gun while trying to hit a target ... Get a copy of his video (DVD) and watch for yourself besides that is the best investment you can make in your shooting besides taking one of Phils clinics ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Hold further out from the house. You'r having no problem with the right/straights, correct? If you hold near the house, you have to swing fast as hell to chase the bird down and may swing past or your left eye may lock on the target and you crossfire. If you hold 2 or 3 feet out, it's a simple move to intercept the target and hit it and you are less likely to crossfire. Try different things untill you find what works for you. (You don't hold inside the house in skeet on low house station 2 do you?) AJ

9. doctordennis

doctordennis TS Member

You may want to try dipping down and coming up to the left target as this will help you slow down ( after all you actually have more time to shoot this one than any other). This will also help you see the target as well as keep you from "tracking it" which often causes you to stop your gun or "bead check". It is also very common for righthanders to take their cheek off their gun on left hand birds and since you don't seem to know why you are missing maybe it is because of this that your sight picture is correct but the bird is not breaking.

10. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Missed because you DIDN'T hold for a straight away from post 1 and then shoot right at the target. You are shortshooting it. Try it, you'll like it.

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"<I>It is also very common for righthanders to take their cheek off their gun on left hand birds and since you don't seem to know why you are missing maybe it is because of this that your sight picture is correct but the bird is not breaking.</I>"

This may well be part of my problem because I can see no reason why the targets don't break. I usually know when I send shot to the wrong place otherwise.

"<I>Missed because you DIDN'T hold for a straight away from post 1 and then shoot right at the target. You are shortshooting it. Try it, you'll like it.</I>"

You're correct that I don't hold for straights off either 1 or 5. I tried it, and I can't see any advantage to holding so that I will have to chase to the left 99% of the targets I get on 1 or chase to the right 99% of what I get on 5.

Morgan

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

MR ducks more time than you think is right. 1200fps=818.18mph Target @45mph=73.8fps. slow is smooth smooth is fast. Dont let that 1st miss get to you. What works for me. holds just about level gun I dont move until I see the bird pass the barrel.

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

First, a 96 is a nice score. you are asking a question based on one event. Is it always like this? You always have trouble with a hard left on post 1 and if the birds on post one cooperate you always run-em? Your question is really odd to me. You shot 100 targets so 20 of them were off post one and you are telling me that only four of those 20 were hard lefts. Or were there other hard lefts and you hit them? and for the second time in the same response, does this always happen or when you get better targets on post one you will run them??

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Are you a two eyed shooter? How old are you? You've gotten an lot of good advice here but I don't think they'll be permanent solutions to your problem.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Morgan- Several good suggestions posted above that will help with some problems, but your first step must be to identify your specific problem. If you are not shooting behind the bird, making a change that will help you not shoot behind the bird is worthless.

You stated that you do not now know what is happening. That might be a clue. When I see the bird very clearly and everything looks good and I miss, I have usually lifted my head. If I am tracking a left bird and just as I shoot, the bird seems to vanish, I have cross sighted. It is also rather easy to move the stock from your cheek with your arms when shooting a sharp angle. I know I am supposed to only move my lower body on angles but my upper body has not learned to do this all of the time. When you miss the left bird, stop and think what you did. After you have figured our your problem, it will be easier to figure out a cure.

Pat Ireland

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When a top notch shooter misses a target, he can tell you exactly where the shot charge went awry. He does so with his eyes and where his barrel, bead was in relationship to his target when the gun fired. The more intently you can look at a moving target, the easier it is to see that bird/bead relationship develop,,,, OR not. You can learn from mistakes as well as success and it's all in how you use your eyes to differentiate between the two. Hap

17. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

HaveGun,

Sorry if it seems like an odd question but it's the my blister on the foot of progress. I shot a 100 bird event. Out of each 25, I got 2 hard lefts off post 1 on three traps and 3 on the fourth trap. That's 9 hard lefts out of which I missed 4 and that's why I'm asking for a little input. I swear I saw the same sight picture on the 4 I missed as I did on the 5 I hit. Of those 5, 2 were shattered and 3 broke into 4 or 5 large pieces so I hit only 2 of the 9 with centered patterns. If I don't get a bunch of hard lefts or if i somehow manage to do things correctly, I'll shoot 98-100 depending on whether or not I lose concentration somewhere else and let a target surprise me.

Barry,

I shoot 2 eyes and I'm 60 years old, right handed and right eyed. But I still use a small fence to blind the bead from my left eye. My bead is the smallest white light pipe I can get for my Hi-Viz Comp sigth made a bit smaller. The center bead is painted ultra-flat black. The gun is fitted so my sight picture needs no checking once I've mounted the gun.

Pat,

You wrote: " I know I am supposed to only move my lower body on angles but my upper body has not learned to do this all of the time."

I'd really like to understand how you move only your lower body (waist on down) to shoot angles. How do you get the barrel from where it was to where it needs to be to shoot the target?

Morgan

18. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Quickly, by holding for a straight away will allow you to see the target quicker and clearer, thereby not letting the target pass under/behind the gun and out of your focus. That is a good thing. Simplarly, holding for a straightaway (from every station) will add impetus to your swing and enhance your follow through on any target. Also a good thing. As with any new tactic it will require your attention for some period of time to adapt to it.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I still think you are crossfiring. Try taping your left lenses ala Kiner.

20. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Do not grip the forearm of the gun, rather PLACE the gun onto your flat left hand. That way it is difficult to arm swing the gun and you will have to twist your body and gun to follow the bird. The best thing you can do is have an experenced shooter watch you shoot from station 1 until he can tell for sure what you are doing. AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

i keep missing the hard left at trap station 1

missing hard left in trap station 1