1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Left #1 Right Hand Shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NCK, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCK

NCK Member

I'm a right hand shooter, and having problems hitting the hard left from #1 only? Sometimes I smoke it and other times I can miss 3 in a row...tried everything HELP?

Thanks

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Foot position, are your feet at 45 degree angle to the station, can you move from the waist easily? Are you aware when you miss if it is in front or behind? Scott

3. NCK

NCK Member

Standing facing the right hand corner?? 45?

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Right hander chasing a hard right from station 5 tends to press cheek into comb. Often times when chasing hard left from station 1 tends to pull cheek away from comb.

5. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

You're losing your cheek weld; or you're shooting too quick (before the target is clear). Compare break points to hard rights #5.

Caution, I'm a slightly below average shooter, but this is the internet after all.

K

6. NCK

NCK Member

Thanks will make sure I'm in the wood hard tomorrow!

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

being in the wood too hard can have an adverse effect on your swing. let your eyes follow (Lock on) the bird and then bring the gun to the bird. Actually the hard lefts for a rightie should be our easier target, the gun movement is coming towards our cheek, the opposite is true of a hard right we have a tendency to push our gun away from our cheek. They real key is to swing as a unit from the waist(tank turrent) and stay away from arm swinging.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Which eye is dominant?

Where are you starting your gun?

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

lock down a practice trap to throw a hard left while standing on number #1 until you consistently break the birds like to want to...

Jay

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"The real key is to swing as a unit from the waist(tank turrent) and stay away from arm swinging."

Very good point. I prefer to swing at the knees. It seems to help me say locked up. Plenty of people swing at the waist with good results. Plus keep your eye on the target and don't come back to the bead.

11. NCK

NCK Member

Yes I'am left eye dominate....I did think that maybe my left eye was taking over? Had the sense I was in front but could not be sure?

12. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

Turn it down if you can't break it.

13. jimsw

jimsw Member

If you are a right handed, right eye dominant, 2 eyed shooter you may be showing symptoms of cross dominance. If this is occurring in handicap that is also an indication. I've been through all of this and was cured by Phil Kiner. If you shoot with both eyes open shoot some practice with one eye closed or tape on your left lens to see if that helps. Put a blinder on the front of the barrel opposite the front bead. That is all that may be needed. Good Luck.

14. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

A hard left from #1 should push your cheek into the gun, not away from it. Sounds like you may have the left eye taking over momentarily. If it is you will not be able to align rib with bird. Effectively you will be looking down the left side of the barrel. Momentary cross eye dominance happens to a lot uf us, especially as we get a "little older". If you are a one eye shooter the left eye may be opening trying to find the bird. Same result. You might try some tape or a Magic Dot on you left lens. Good luck, Marc

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

NCK what if anything are you doing to combat your x-dominance?

I have the same challenge and propensity to miss lefts more than others.

Guy Babin

16. NCK

NCK Member

Nothing shot Skeet for over 20 years was AAA across the board in 06' never looked at a gun bead in my life until trap! Now I'm going to put the gun in my mouth.

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Stop looking at that damned bead! StopIT! STOPIT NOW!!!!

With your history you have all the skills you need to figure out your issue on your own.

Good luck

P.S. Please don't do the mouth thing--we need all the trap shooters we can get!

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Try opening your stance and starting the gun a bit lower and further left...suspect you are not seeing the target quick enough and panic chasing it or binding up your motion at the waist before you swing through it and causing you to stop the gun...follow through is everything on a hard angle

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So why are you looking at the bead in trap?

If you were a AAA skeet shooter then you have mastered shooting sharp angle targets. The hard right from #1 is no more difficult than what you have mastered. Quit looking at that darn bead and focus on the target like you know how to do.

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

typical restatement of that already stated .....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting hard right hand targets in trap