1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hard expensive lesson from TSA to me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I have never traveled with any guns for any reason by air. I had a trap match back home and the chokes ,all Briley, for my Browning were with me not at home. So like a dumb ass thinking there is certainly no threat from chokes in a carry on, put them in my luggage proceeded thru security. Well, having 2 hip replacements I always get searched.As I was waiting for the guy from TSA to pat me down I could see the commotion on around the Xray machine as they examined my bag. They pulled the bag over and opened it to pull out the chokes in the box I had along with the choke wrench. The TSA guy asked me what they were and not having any reason to think otherwise I told him shot gun chokes. Nobody knew what they were! The Tsa officer pulled me aside and said this is an illegal item and they are going to confiscate the 5 chokes. I was shocked and pissed. I said can you tell me what threat a hollow steel tube is to anyone!!! The first TSA guy had to go get his super and the Chicago police, This was a Midway. The police did not know what they were either. The head TSA guy taol me that had I checked my bag I could have gotten by with taking them. I said well lets pack them in the bag and I will go check it. No he said this is a gun part and the TSA regs say it is forbidden and they confiscated them and said I may even get fined.I am so angry that no one used any common sense. However, most of you who travel and go to shoots probably know NOT to do such a stupid thing You can not rely on any Govt worker to use common sense. Even the police were pissed that they confiscated them but it was out of their jurisdiction. BTW they did a backgound check on me before letting me go.

2. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Thats a lot to expect. Common sense from TSA?
    Sorry to hear of such a story

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Machined parts are a good answer.

4. neofight

neofight TS Member

I believe Chicken Little was right after all. The sky is falling and it's raining idiots.I came back from a long range fishing trip once where i had to fly home. I did not wish to place over$3,000 worth of reels and jigs in checked luggage, so i did carry-on. Oh boy, bells going off, people all excited, called in reinforcements.

It seems they have difficulty in seeing the difference between say, an M-16 or maybe a shoulder mounted rocket launcher and a bagful of Avet reels, Yozuris, feathered jigs and a couple spools of fishing line.

I guess you should have told them the choke tubes were ancient Mayan flutes....sigh!

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Axle sleeves for my wife's mothers washing machine.. See they screw in from this side.. the knurked ends make it easy.. shaft to the inside.. and this grease is to keep it lubed.. Worked all the way to Italy.. The PFS stock was fitted with a camera adaptor.. Sorry for the painful lesson.. I think Kim Rhodes had a similar problem.. That's where I learned about it.. Hers was choketubes too..

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Common Guys and Gals, you know the gooberment doesn't know a AK-47 from a VW bug.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> AK47Chart.jpg </a>

Jerbear

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Put everything in checked luggage, they will ding you for anything gun related anything. If you had your spare light tubes for your bead they would take them if you said they fit on a gun. It's ridiculous but those guys can't be firearms experts and know what parts are what so they go strictly by the book.

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Just because they don't know any better, and you can't expect them too, we have to look out for our own asses. I don't even carry a nail clipper with me anymore. Last flight I had a guy looking at my ball point pens like they were tools of the devil. But he missed the carbon sticker in the laptop case. And I had forgotten it was there too.

Washing machine sleeves sounds just really good to me.

happy trails
    C

9. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

I got real close to loosing a Perazzi spare trigger group on the same kind of deal. They did let me go back and put it in checked baggage. The TSA guy, who had a brain, explained to me that several people could each take a gun part onboard and assemble a weapon on the plane. I have to admit that I could see his point. I was lucky that I happened to catch the right guy. Or that he caught me. I won't try it again.

Jeff Bailey

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

related story, last March I shot at the Florida State Shoot, I borrowed a few extra shells for doubles and on the day of my return I still had one, knowing that I had to put it in checked baggage I put it in my Shaving/toiletries pouch. The rules says you must have the shells in ORIGINAL packaging, but since it was a single shell I figured....let them find it, I didn't have an empty box......fast forward a couple weeks, I fly to NYC/LaGuardia for a trade show, stay overnight, carry on bag only.....getting the picture yet?.....fast forward another week, I am at home looking for some shampoo in my shaving bag, unzip it and voila, a 12 gauge Black shotgun shell that went thru security both in Boston AND Laguardia undetected!!! I had to go thru a full body scanner.....as did most grannies flying that day. Hopeless!

Free Lesson for travelers.....don't put ammo/chokes/empties etc in anything that might someday be carried on.

As for the initial Choke story.....the TSA has to justify their existence, so ANYTHING they find will be confiscated.....

LAst year I had to fly with a machine part for a customer, about 6 inches long, one inch in dia. fairly heavy stainless steel....They would NOT allow it, said it resembled a blunt "billy club" ...this part was barely longer than the width of my hand and it was worth $2100, but they let me bring it back to my car. I have repeatedly flow with a 8.5 foot ugly stick fishing rod, broken down.....that could do a lot more damage than the part they disallowed....

11. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I read a news story on Monday that said that 10,000 TSA employees were just given Secret Clearance.

God save us from petty government functionaries with guns and too much power.

12. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

I got my spare Perazzi spring kit back by telling them "Those are spare parts," "Parts to what?", "Ummm, parts to my remote control car" - probably the only time I can claim "quick thinking." lol

Don't say the "G" word!!!!

Jeff Holguin

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    After the TSA goons tried to confiscate Joe Foss' Medal of Honor as a "weapon", nothing surprises me anymore.

14. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

That's amazing. I would try to sue the TSA for the cost of the chokes.

Unfortunately, you were in a double whammy zone; TSA and Chicago.

15. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

TSA stories?? I have some that will make you bend over and laugh to the point of fluids coming out your nose……..If you do the following, make sure your about 2 ½ hours early for your flight though, because when I get done with these guys they are ready to quit.

I fly to about 8-10 flyer shoots a year. At most I ship shells by UPS to where I am going to shoot, but on occasion I will fly with my 11# on the airlines, or 30# if I am flying on Alaska Airlines……Now I’ve traveled for years like this and have an Americase to put my gun in, and a custom made Americase for ammunition, I always declare my firearm and jump though all the hoops, but about 90% of the time at the CTX scanner they always want to open up the ammunition case. One thing I can’t stand is some stranger going though my bag in front of everyone. So I smile and gladly hand them the keys to the case. Inside the case I normally cut the bottom of the shell boxes with a razor knife, so that there is one tiny spot on there that is still held by cardboard.

Ever see a TSA agent that grabs and yanks out two boxes of shells and they go flying out all over the airport???……they end up on hands and knees picking them up from everywhere. The key to this trick is to act as surprised as they are (like there was a box failure from the factory), who knows you might just win an Oscar for a great performance. If I had someone else with me I’d have them off to the side discreetly video taping it for youtube

16. Frank C

I wish I was watching!! Too Funny

17. Frank C

nice try fred

18. RickA

RickA Member

They won't fly in your checked baggage either if TSA gets a hit for gun powder residue. I left my choke tubes once at my sons in N.C and didn't realize it until after I had returned home,no big deal was going to be back there in a few months anyway and would get them then. Put them in my luggage when I came home in the spring and when I get home and open the suitcase I find a nice little note that said TSA had removed them because they were parts to a gun and I hadn't claimed them on the return flight. I was told to sue away that it was govt policy and that my chances were about as good as a snowball in hell so I was out about $250 and learned a valuable lesson.
    Rick

19. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

tell those idiots you have spare parts for your mother-inlaws flux capiticer time machine/delorean..

20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Tiffpak is all you'll ever need

tuff_2.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.