1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Case Hassle - just a rambling observation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I’ve concluded that hard, break down cases are more trouble than they’re worth. Except when shipping. This notion has come to me as I’ve been lugging around a two-gun Browning case. It houses my BT99 and Citori. I have to have both guns so I’m ready for Trap or Skeet, don’t you know. That’s one heavy piece of luggage when loaded.

I haul it to the car and lift it up and into the trunk area. I have to be excessively cautious because I’m loading a Corvette and I sure don’t want scratches in the black paint. Then, upon arrival at the club, I carefully lift it out and lug into the club. That’s where I can open it and take out the barrel/forearm and disassemble them, placing each piece someplace safe, whether on a part of the case or on a table. Then, I gingerly remove the stock/receiver and add a dab-o-grease. I carefully pick up the barrel and attach it, then I slip on the forearm. Now, I have a fully assemble shotgun that needs a home. Lean it against the table I’m working on? No, place it in the gun rack - after making sure it isn’t loaded. Close the case, with the remaining gun, latch it and look for a place to stow it.

After shooting, I go at it again in reverse order. This time, though, I’m wiping off grease and gunk and trying not to make a mess or drop anything. This process gets even more onerous when I unload both guns. I also find that I am less inclined to clean the guns after a day, just because of the hassle I perceive getting the case out of the car and the guns out of the case.

Single hard cases aren’t as bad, but they’re still a pain in my pitoot.

I have decided to put my hard cases away - maybe for good - and replace them with good quality cases in which I can slide the gun without breaking it apart. That’s the only kind of case I used before I really got into the whole breakdown and hard case arena. I only shoot for fun and sometimes have three guns out (my skeet and trap, and my wife’s newly acquired 1100 - got to be ready to fill in if a squad is short, don’t you know).

My old sub-$20 cases were cheaply made - and I wasn’t careful sliding the guns into them. Ripped practically every lining with the sights. I’m buying new cases and may even “put a sock” on the muzzle before sliding into the case. Regardless, I’m looking forward to unzipping, checking, and shooting in far less time, and with far less effort than I do now with the hard case routines. That’s time and energy I can devote to having fun with the gun instead of just unwrapping and assembling it. I am looking seriously at the Boyt Harness Signature Series Shotgun Case w/Pocket.

Come to think of it,even a gun sock would be a decent alternative to the hassles of a hard case.

2. stillmisses

stillmisses TS Member

I can relate to your post completely. I have a bad heart, and partial stainless spine and am limited to lifting max 40 lbs. for life. My Berreta 680 with undersingle and doubles barrels in its aluminum americase weighs 34.5 lbs.
    When I go rifle and / or pistol I have to break it all down to manageble weights. I get tired pretty easy, plus permanent nerve damage to both legs. Many times I get the car loaded and have to take a nap and rest before going to shoot. I have done as you and went to soft cases I could leave things assembled with actions open whenever possible. I also trimmed down my usual pile of stuff to minimum needed, and I seem to be having more time and energy to shoot.
    Good luck to you
    Stillmisses, mike T.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Great story! I have a closet full of hard cases and that's usually where they stay. I've come to the conclusion that soft cases are much more friendly when traveling locally.

I still break mine down though. It actually prompts me to clean them more because they are already apart.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I usually use soft cases locally. taking down and reassembling just gives opportunity for nicks and scratches.

And dropped forends. *@$%@@!!*

HM

5. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Boyts are the best as long as nobody else piles their crap on top of yours.
    I`ll let everyone elso put their guns in,then gingerly place mine on top!

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I like shooting my 11/87 or Super x-1, but I hate taking them down more than necessary. I also don't like the weight of a hard case. So, I compromise and use a loooong Doskocil plastic case. Weighs about 3 or 4 pounds and either gun fits with about an inch to spare. Not sure if they even make that model anymore.

Kiv

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bought one of those Americase "vaults" Granpasarms described that holds 2 complete guns. Bought that rascal used for $300 bucks and just smiled all the way home about the quality and price. Put my stainless steel Ljutic in it and then the Browning double gun. Stood there a minute and admired it all. WOW nice! Then closed the lid and tried to pick it up. Decided to weigh it but couldn't drag it to the scales so brought the bathroom scales into the gun room and man alive 54 pounds!! Managed to painfully drag it to a couple of shoots. (just stubborn and mad at myself for not thinking about the weight issue and determined not to let my wife know my mistake) I finally found someone as eager to pay $300 for it as I was and it now has a new home.

LESSON LEARNED.

8. Skiracin

Skiracin Member

OK, I'm going the other way on this one! If anyone wants to sell a single Browning hard case to fit my 30" Citori XT at a reasonable price please PM me! Let me take your lightly used hard case off your hands and put it to use! You can use the money to buy a new soft case- we both win!
    Thanks!

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Also add the number of dings and dents in the corners,hallways, and trim, in your house as you negotiate that hard case on the way to the car and back.

10. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

The world is filled with options. Whatever works for you is the right way to go. In my case, I use both hard and soft-sided cases depending on where I'm going. Good luck....

11. ithaca33

ithaca33 Member

I Have a canvas covered beretta hard case that I love. It's light, convenient to store in my car and i feel it better protects my O/U. That being said, I also shoot an 1100 occasionally and even more rarely (but I LOVE shooting it) my Ithaca 37. For the Pump and Semi, I like the sheep wool lined leather gun sleeves. No zippers to mark anything up and the raw sheeps wool provides great padding.

Just my preference :)

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I'll go the other way as well

Looking for a no logo Americase, set up for a 30" O/U that is in good shape, doesn't have to be mint as long as it is not beat, broke or torn.

Prefer a one barrel case.

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I have an older Americase. It doesn't have all the fancy compartments, but it's very sturdy. If anyone is interested, I want $100 plus shipping. Feel free to PM or email me about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.