1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy New Year from Japan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

Just landed in Osaka Japan about 12 hours ago to spend New Years with my in laws. I was hoping to tour the MirokuBrowning plant, however it appears as if they are closed during the week of New Years.

Funny that they make these guns here and very few citizens are even allowed to own them.

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I saw a video about and no one that makes the guns has ever shot one!

3. t7731

t7731 Member

Isnt it wierd? The owner of the company Mr. Miroku only owns one Citori himself. It probably hangs on the wall in his office and has never been shot.

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You're not exactly correct, a friend of mine was stationed in Japan and shot on the Airforce skeet team, I think at three different military installations. Japan paritipates in international shotgun diciplines fielding a 2012 bunker team which did not make it through, I don't know about skeet.

Its true gun ownership beyond air guns is highly restricted to a very few citizens, but to say Miroku is restricted from testing their products isn't all together factual.

I entertained several Japanese businessmen when they visited the mainland and their list of see and do, Eat a big steak, shop for western clothes, go to a topless bar, shoot the Dirty Harry gun gun, 44 mag, shoot rifle or shotgun, ride in a fast car and look and do everything else after fulfilling the their list. Most learned skeet very quickly and are great fun to be around.

Surfer

Surfer

5. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

I also live in Japan. In 2012, they only had four shooting related homocides in the entire country. It's the safest place, I ever lived.

Rick

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Same as you Mike, and same time frame, only I came home in Dec '65. Respectful is a good word. I was at Sagami Ono, the 401 Med lab, and there was an elevated shooting complex just past the gate. The sign said "Skeet RENGE". Those were good times.

best....mike

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Sounds like they've come a long way since they went through Nanking in the late '30s.

I commend them.

Bob Falfa

8. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

I spent 87-90 there at Camp Zama and Sagami Depot. My oldest was born at Yokosuka Naval Base, back when the Midway was still in service. Very friendly people and I really enjoyed my time there.

Where else could bars leave their beer on the sidewalk overnight?

I do remember the riot police and water cannons at the entrance to Narita.

Tim

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I was there in the summers of 79 and 80: Osaka and Tokyo. Great time. Food was phenomenal. Also enjoyed the historical parts of the country. Will never forget the morning the honey truck came to empty out the can under the toilet. Woke up gagging but didn't loose it. Mosquito bites so bad my eyes swelled shut. Buddies threw me in a drainage ditch one night after some drinks. So many things go unsaid in that society. After thinking about it I figured out why that woman farmer stopped her work and started yelling at me as I walked by. She must have lost plenty of relatives in the war. I should have bowed and said I was sorry. It might have helped her even though they started the war.

10. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

"I also live in Japan. In 2012, they only had four shooting related homicides in the entire country. It's the safest place, I ever lived."

I have always wondered if their are no guns how do people kill one another. One of the big rants with the libtards is get rid of guns and homicides will end, but they never say anything about knives, swords and baseball bats,(give them time). I cannot find any stats for Japans "murder rate" not including the four with guns. It is not Buddha utopia over their, with some of the most ruthless gangs in the world, and they have a good size drug culture.

CM

11. t7731

t7731 Member

Not sure about that whole drug culture thing. As far as I know there is very little drug abuse or use here at all. Yakuza is pretty much limited to loan sharking, extortion, and some prostitution. Hardly the Sopranos.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think they are more "humbled" than "respectful". We blew the stuffing out of them and they've been quiet ever since. They're like little children protected by our big stick.......but that's out the window with the president we have now. While Obama and the democrat party continue to weaken us militarily look for China to consume Japan in the near future ................... and we wont be able to stop it. Japan wont be anything but "occupied" then.

13. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

CM, first of all murder is rare in japan and with a gun almost non-existant. They have a very high rate of suicide but guns are not the tool of choice. Its either overdose, jumping in front of a train, subways, hanging and or jumping off a high building. : (

A far as the Yakuza goes their into loan sharking, drugs and prostitution. There was one Yakuza hit this year in 2012 and it was a knifing on the street. The reality is even the so called roughest places in Japan ( Roppongi and or Shinjuku ) dont hold a candle to any small-size city in the US. I go all over Tokyo and do the night life scene without a fight, hassle, arguement and or even a cross word! You can say all you want about guns for protection but here your two fists will be just fine if need be!

Rick

14. t7731

t7731 Member

Wow, I was wondering how long it would take before somebody would bring WWII into this post about Browning shotguns. The "stuffing" that you are refering to amounts to nearly 250,000 innocent people that were under the rule of a crazy emperor. They had no stake in the game whatsoever. Whether or not the use of nuclear weapons on civilians was justified or not will always be a point of contention.

What is not up for debate is the level of honor, respect, and character that the Japanese people have always and will always have. For example, you would never hear a Japanese person talk about how they caught the Americans totally off guard and blew the shit of of us at Pearl Harbor. That would show a definate lack of class and an almost certain high level of red neck.

Their high level of class has nothing to do with the A bombs. It does however have a lot to do with being humble. Their entire culture is based humbleness. We could probably stand to take a few lessons from the Japanese.

15. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Your speaking of two separate cultures, the warriors were hardly humble about their atrocities which in China, Burma and the Philippines demonstrated just how humble they were.

"From the invasion of China in 1937 to the end of World War II, the Japanese military regime murdered near 3,000,000 to over 10,000,000 people, most probably almost 6,000,000 Chinese, Indonesians, Koreans, Filipinos, and Indochinese, among others, including Western prisoners of war. This democide was due to a morally bankrupt political and military strategy, military expediency and custom, and national culture (such as the view that those enemy soldiers who surrender while still able to resist were criminals)."

But that was then and this is now.

I does sounds like a great country to visit. I watched the special about the tsunami and cherry blossoms, watch it if you get a chance. One thing that I noticed is they are all on the same level or consciousness

CM

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

t7731. Tell the relatives of my two uncles, who died on the Batan death March and had their heads and genitals chopped off, how respectful the Japanese are. I have a photo of one of my uncles, found in one captured Japanese soldier's pocket, in a group shot of about 20 US army soldiers, posed sitting in a line. Each man was holding in their laps their own head with their genitals crammed in their mouths.

Was that any less horrific?

17. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

t7731 : How did your trip end up on the other side of the pond? Do anything different?

CM

18. t7731

t7731 Member

War is a very nasty thing and this one was more than 70 years ago. Lots of attrocities happened, including that disgusting shit with the heads in the laps and genitals in the mouths of some US soilders. Less horrific than wiping out a quarter million civilians? I guess we each need to make that judgement for ourselves.

I can only tell you that the Japanese people treat me and my family like royalty when we visit and it doesnt have a god damn thing to do with them being humbled because the USA dropped nuclear bombs on their ancestors before any of them were even born. Happy new year to you.

CM. Trip has been great. Going to Kobe tommorrow for Kobe beef and we are heading to Hiroshima the next day to do the tour.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A single culture environment makes all the difference. America's, multi-culture environment does not lend itself to that kind of atmosphere. Apples and oranges!

20. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

Well said shot410ga..that is simply the truth.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
camp zama trap skeet

content