1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hanging my bear

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Sailor, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

My wife and I are discussing how to hang my bearskin rug on the wall in the family room. I want to hang it with the head very slightly above horizontal, and she just thinks that is crazy. She says vertical, head up or down, it doesn't matter. I told her that if the head is down, the hair won't lie flat, and it will be a HUGE dust trap, so now she says head straight up. I think that if it is vertical, it loses some of the effect of the taxidermy, as it looks too static. Being on a slight angle gives it a more natural look and feel. I know that I am going to be told to put it on the floor, but my dog claims it, then, and she is hard on it, lying on it and squirming around.

So how do you guys feel? How should I hang it?

2. 100straight

100straight Member

How long have you been married? And how long do you hope it will continue?

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Sounds like the best solution is for you to finish off your garage into a bedroom, then put the bear skin on your new bed to keep you warm on those long, cold nights...

4. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

You could get a new wife before you could harvest another bear. You know what to do.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Or you could wink at her and ask HER to squirm around on the rug ; )

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

Now there is some good medicine.

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The Domestic Goddess and I will have been married for 31 years,on Feb.20th, and I figure on at least 30 more. My garage is far too cold to convert into a bedroom, although I have spent hunting trips far, far colder than it will ever be. As for harvesting bears, I can get a bear any old time around here. We have a 3 month fall season, and a 3 month spring season, with a bag limit of 2 bears, and they are everywhere. Go for a walk in the hills to pick berries, and you will see tons of sign and scat, if not live animals. We even have a resident neighborhood bear that wanders through on a regular circuit, but shooting it would be like shooting the neighbors mastiff; easy, but ultimately an unsatisfactory experience. Calvin's idea has been thought of before this, but her natural antipathy toward bears rules it out. Now, IF I was in the market for another wife, I might try to persuade someone else to squirm around on it, but wives who encourage, hunting, fishing, and trapshooting are hard to find, and definitely not worth the price.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Have you talked to the bear about this, what would he like? HMB

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Mount it vertical, then get two other mounts, heads only, to go on either side.

Bob Falfa

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Do it her way, but with the proper "negotiations". Everyone wil be happy happy happy.

11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Hang it her way on a "temporary" basis. You know, just to see how it looks. After a couple of months, move it to your way and leave it like that. Works for me. Bill

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Then make sure to keep your eyes open on trash day and the skin is still hung on the wall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.