1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handmade Gun Cases...Beautiful Work!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by randy-s, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randy-s

randy-s Member

A gentlemen at our gun club, Ray Sterck, is the maker of fine handmade gun cases. Recently he brought a case to the gun club for us to see and drool over. The woodwork and leather craft on these cases is of the highest quality available. Ray's attention to detail is unsurpassed. The pictures do not do his work justice, you would have to see to believe. I am posting for fellow TS.com members to see. Many of you will appreciate his work as I do.

Randy Shelton
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

That sure is a top end case... I would afraid to use it. It is way to nice.
    How much for that Masterpiece.

3. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

What is the info to get in touch with him. Phone number, web site and so on?

4. randy-s

randy-s Member

I will check with Ray.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It is so encouraging to see that America can still produce artisans capable of this level of work even in this day of mass produced trash. Absolutely stellar work.

6. randy-s

randy-s Member

I just talked to Mr. Streck. Here is just a bit of what I learned. Ray who is retired and living in California, has built several custom gun cases over the years. These cases are primarily used for display and are not meant for airline travel. He has, however, custom fitted aluminum cases for travel. Each case is unique in its own way, designed for a particular firearm and its accessories. Ray uses several different types of hardwoods. He has used different types of hides such as ostrich and elephant although his standard is a vegetable tanned cowhide. The interiors are lined with billiard cloth. For hardware Ray uses brass lid stops, hinges, buckles and other fittings. Many of the accessories included in the cases are “French fit” in that they snap into place and don’t rattle or fall out. The leather work is hand stitched.

He built a case for a rifle in 470 Nitro Express that the owner had taken an elephant with. A portion of the elephant hide was used for the case. Ray said pushing a needle through it was like trying to sew the sidewall of a car tire. Ray has built cases for fund raising events such as the Safari Club’s annual event held in Reno, Nevada. The rifle case pictured contains a custom .270 built by a group of gun makers from the American Custom Gunmakers Guild for their annual dinner. Another case was built for a client’s grandfather’s rifle, shotgun, Bowie knife and pocket watch. One case was built to display an early Winchester take-down rifle and a Colt pistol.

The Merkel pictured is a 28 gauge side lock gun with 28” barrels and a 3 piece for end. The Winchester is Model 21 Custom Grand American 2 barrel set. The Beretta EE LL is a top of the line gun with screw in chokes and a set of “turn screws” or screw drivers which Ray tells his client to never use.

His prices start at $2100.00 and go to around $4000.00 however “the sky is the limit”. The hide alone for one case was $3800. Accessories such as snap caps, choke tube wrenches and oil cans can be nickel plated or even gold plated. Other pricey options such as buffalo horn, ivory, hardware and exotic hides are available.

Ray Sterck

530 621 3865

Located in the Pacific Time Zone

7. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I just bought two Huey cases and they are excellent. Their web site has a pretty good explanation of their options and pricing. Marvin Huey is an excellent craftsman and a pleasure to do business with. He is usually booked out six months but right now he is not quite that far out. Marvin has been doing cases about 30 years and he put number 1536 and 7 on my cases. He told me a case takes him and his helpers about three weeks to complete. I would best describe him as an old world craftsman. The cases pictured here done by this gentleman look very comparable to Huey's. It takes a real patient person to do this kind of work. These two both are of that type. Google Huey Gun Case and you'll find him.

Mark Zauhar

8. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Very Very nice case but I better buy something that is worth going in them. My old hunting will not do.

9. mt

mt Member

Wow, thanks for sharing this

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It's like that Mercedes Maybach that I really want. Love it, but can only admire it from afar.

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Aw Devi, just drive the Bently and let Martin drive the Hummer for a while. Awesome craftsmanship for sure on these cases. Omaha

12. randy-s

randy-s Member

Thanks for all the positive comments. I will be going to Ray's shop today to see a new case. Hopefully I can get a few pictures to post.
    Randy

13. randy-s

randy-s Member

Ray just finished another case yesterday. It contained a custom falling block take down gun with 2 barrels. One is a 20 shotgun gauge barrel and the other is .577 rifled barrel. This case was made to transport the gun and has heavy brass corners and a very pricey lock. This is another example of Ray's fine craftsmanship and of another unique custom firearm. I hope you have enjoyed the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

Quality is a joy to behold. Please share our comments with the craftsman himself.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Do they have any pre-fitted for my Mossberg M500 Pump?

16. randy-s

randy-s Member

Up again for those that may have missed the thread.

17. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I don't know what's more beautiful, the cases, or the guns in them!
    -Trappy

18. randy-s

randy-s Member

Both Trappy. I was in Ray's shop a few days ago and had the pleasure of seeing a couple more fine guns that were awaiting cases. Wow, some engraving is absolutely amazing! Hopefully I will get to go back and see the finished products, cased fine shotguns. If possible I'll take a few pictures to post. Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cowhide takedown case for shotgun

custom gun case makers

elephant hide guncase

handmade shotgun cases

huey gun cases and accessories

huey pistol case

marvin huey gun cases

ray sterck gun cases