1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handling Guns from and Estate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Powerhouse, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powerhouse

Powerhouse Member

Unfortunately, we've had a death in the family of a man who spent 50+ years collecting shotguns, stocks and many misc. parts. What's the best way to go about disposing of all this? How does a person sell finished stocks, stock blanks and the original stocks that were taken off the guns? He loved Model 12's and had several. Many were made into trap guns so the numbers don't match. Any guidance would help. Thanks

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

You can probably move most of that stuff right here. Just takes good pictures and post each item individually. If you use dealers or auction sites, you will take a hit in fees and such.

3. farmallh

farmallh TS Member

If you don't know the value an auction site may be the best. The fees may more than make up the additional amount you receive. An example, a couple months ago I had a small Winchester Store tape measure that I would have been happy to get $25.00 for and when I put it on an internet auction, it brought over $500.00. Just my 2 cents.

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Use an auction site like Gunbrokers.com. That way you will get what your guns & misc. are worth.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

I got one of those winchester tapes. Looks l;ike it is headed to E-bay. Jeff

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I guess the question should really be how many guns and how much stuff ??

You may need to do an Auction yourself . You may have people in your town doing Auctions and can help .

Selling one piece at a time can be a big job and take alot of time .
    Do an Auction and it,s done in one day .

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If you do an auction make sure you get a company that will advertise the heck out of it in local papers etc. The fees from doing an auction with a company would be way more than selling them through gun broker.

8. Powerhouse

Powerhouse Member

Thanks for all the replies. I agree the auction may be the best way to go. It would take quite a while to do things one at a time. I think once the smoke clears and things settle down a little, we'll have to sit down with my aunt and really decide what to do. One thing I have already learned is sentimental value doesn't mean anything. You really have to look at things with that in mind. Thanks again.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It takes a lot of time to determine prices, take pictures, post items on several websites, reply to and make agreements with prospective buyers, and when the deal on an item is made then you can pack it up, label it and drive off to the postal or fedex and ship.

Even at 10 percent you wind up making about 50 cents an hour if that.

Your relationship to the survivors and your memory of the deceased will determine how much stomach you have for this monumental task.

Been There, Done That, and it's still going on after 2 years. I'm not sorry about it in my case but you should know what you're biting into at the front end. I have to say I learned a lot and made a lot of new acquaintances. Also got a few hunting invitations.

Think before you act.

HM

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The lesson is get rid of your collections before you croak. Collections of guns etc. left to people who don't want them are just a liability. The heirs appreciate cash more than your treasures.

You can't take it with you - no pockets in a shroud.

11. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Prior to my friends death, he had a representative from Divine's come to his home to look over and give him an estimate of what his guns were worth at auction. They took 49 guns and auctioned them off for him. He was very happy with their service and what he got for them.

Ed Yanchok

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

An auction house would be good as long as its a known auction house to collectors. Soldusa is a known gun auction house. If you do not want to do your homework and sell them yourself then thats the way to go. Just remember, if you use a auction house the IRS will want their cut. If you sell them yourself take cash.

13. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

What if you find out that you could have "Taken It With You" I was planning on getting rid of ALL my stuff before my demise. Then I got to thinking, what if when you meet up with St. Pete at the pearly gates empty handed he says, " Theres a 5$ cover charge"!!! dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.