1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HandiCrap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

My Handicap (26 yds) has suffered this spring, suddenly barely making an 80(chipping my way there)..so yesterday for the hell of it I left in my singles ( IMP Mod Briley) choke and shot them in practice.....ran a 21, not a great score but the 4 misses were severe brain cramps (shooting alone and too fast), the 21 hits were solid.

I started shooting a Briley Full extended this spring, previously used the Optima factory flush full choke. I have not yet patterned the Briley Full.
    With the Briley Full, it seemed I just could NOT get solid hits, played with comb height, hold point, timing etc.
    I realize one practice round is hardly a scientific study.....is it possible or probable that my Briley Full choke shoots way off? Like right or left etc???
    BTW my 16's scores and hits are fine.....
    -Frank

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

You have got to check both the point of impact ( against the improved modified ) and the inside dimensions of the choke tube to get your answer. I have heard of Briley chokes marked full, but when checked were actually skeet. Do your homework before spending a lot of money shooting.

Tom Strunk

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I DO NOT LIKE CHOKE TUBES!!!! I have found switching differnt tubes is like changing barrels. in the past some guns that i have owned, different choke tubes had different poi, also, i have had a couple tubes incorrectly marked. steve balistreri

4. Frank C

Using a dial Caliper, Briley extended measure IM .706", Full .697"

Beretta flush measure IM .704, Full .693....

If it ever stops raining in Mass. looks like a trip to the pattern board is in order....

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with choke tubes, ask the sporting clay shooters, or in the case of trap ask Phil Kiner and Harlan Campbell, they all have choke tubes. Your caliper checks show you that the chokes are marked properly, this is not the problem.

Sometimes certain barrels and/or chokes prefer one type of ammo or pellet size over another. I am currently shooting a Kreighoff K-8- Trap Special/top single combo that likes Remington Nitro 8's better than all other's, but I have never shot anything but Federal or Winchester 3 dram or handicap loads of 7 1/2's for my entire shooting career, this was found out by shooting targets at the practice field. Barrels are choked by Tom Wilkinson and have no choke tubes.

What brand and type of gun are you shooting?? Also, an improved modified is a great choke and would probably be just fine for your needs. Just experiment with different brand of shells as well as pellet sizes, you will be able to tell what it likes by the way the targets break.

Tom Strunk

6. Frank C

JEtchen 687 Top single. I have had good scores with my own reloads, with Gun Clubs, n yesterday with the cheapo Fed top Gun 3 drams, 7.5 shot.....got to go pattern the full choke and see if it is "off", otherwise, I'll just go back to the Beretta full which brought success last yr. or stay with the IM Briley....thanks FC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.