1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Targets at MINUS 10 degrees

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff P, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

An extension of the "are cold targets harder to break" thread....I promised field test results from last night's league and here they are:

Shot 1 round of 27 yard handicap at a measured 10 below zero, F. There was a VERY slight breeze - you'd just feel a breath of air on your face occasionally.

27 yard handicap, white flyer bio all orange targets
    18.2 grains Red Dot, Claybuster wad, 1.125 oz size 7.5 West Coast shot
    34" P gun unsingle with a briley LF choke.

I don't know what everyone else used for loads and chokes. High gun on the squad was an 18...of the 7 he missed, he got LOTS of dust off of at least 5 of them. I shot a 14...dusted 5 or 6 hard. Which would put my score around what I might expect in the daytime and warmer temps. Low score on the squad was a 4...but he's a skeet shooter and even he admits he's not a 27 yard guy.

FWIW, I wore a T shirt, an underarmour loose summer weight shirt, an old rugby jersey and a summer weight shooting jacket on the top. Long johns, sweat pants and insulated carharts on the bottom. One pair wool socks and pac boots. Stocking hat. Gloves.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jeff, if you've ever shot that load over a chronograph or patterned it at -10 deg, I'd be very interested in learning the results.

3. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

-10? I guess I won't bitch about Winter League. (For now.)

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

There is a calculated sceintifical reason as to why you just dusted those targets Jeff. Research has been done and it has been found that when shooting while wearing wool socks the added thickness and comfort during cold weather will make you think of how cold it is but how comfortable you are and that lack of concentration will cause you to miss targets.

To really do proper research you must shoot 2 rounds next time in the buff and then wait exactly 3 months and shoot another 2 rounds and then again in 3 months and 3 months after that then you can have an average of various times and thusly will determine a more precise finding as to how shooting in the cold vs. warmth effects the breakage of targets. By doing this research in the buff will set a honest comparison basis along with all shells must be from the same reloaded batch of shells.

This is the only true scientific way of solving the questions.

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

Not only are you guys up in Anchorage Alaska bad shots but your rather insane to boot. LOL Did John shoot his new Kreighoff? Just so you have something to blame your horrible scores on. The last time I patterned my gun at -10 my pattern density had decreased 15% from when I patterned at 60 degrees. The dense air kills your pattern.

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

OTnot...it can't be that much warmer where you are 100 miles south of me. And by the way, we did win 4 of 6 points on Tuesday (when it was only zero or so). Last night we shot against the field average, so how many we won can't be known until the last teams shoot tonight. Today, thursday, it was 3 below at 8am, and zero at 11am.

Positivly a heat wave.

Farner hasn't shot the K-80 in competition yet. Our team is in 1st, and he felt that shooting a new gun on a first place team would be irresponsible. However, he then proceeded to shoot an 18 at wobble. Poor bastard. He is shooting it pretty good though - at least for the one round he shot it. Dropped 3, I think, with no adjustments to the gun whatsoever...just shooting it out of the box, so to speak. Pretty wood. He'll be tough to beat with it. I'm counting on you and Alferman-boy and I to keep him out of the win column with it, for at least a little while.

Lumper...if you want to come up and shoot naked in December, you come on up. I'll find folks to fill the squad out.

Jerry...state shoot is July 16-20, 2008. Bring a bunch of friends. Otnot's grilling salmon Friday night, and my dad's working the grill for steaks on saturday. OTNOT, YUKONJACK222 and I promise you a great time!!!

jeff

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Our score averages changed some when we tried the all orange bios at my nephews farm trap during the summer. Lots of dust at times without a broken piece. Centering them is ideal but that's not the way trapshooters do it all the time. The softer chilled lead worked best on the bios at lower velocities. Hap

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- Your story will be successful in making me feel cold all day long. Our predicted high today is 50 F but I will be thinking about you shooting in -10 F air and I will shiver.

I know a few people live in Alaska during the winter, but I don't know why. Have you thought about moving to the South? Our gasoline is $2.69 today and you can get new AA shells for $5.00 per box at Dick's with a coupon.

Pat Ireland

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Pat -

I strongly suspect we have several mutual friends...I shoot with Dave K at least once a week. By the way, he was the high gun in the 10 below handicap with the 18.

Well, our gas was $2.98 yesterday. But I can get Choice ribeye's for $5.99...not sure why. Nearest beef cow must be 4,000 miles away.

However, yes, I am going to move south...probably no more than 3 years. I'm looking now. Headed to Springfield, Mo. for retirement. Or at least a very relaxed work schedule.

I will be down for the Fall Handicap this year...hopefully, you'll be there as well.

Drop me an email...

jeff

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Jeff ... the last time I was in that type of climate I developed lumps in my breasts. The doctors tried like heck to figure out what the solid masses were and almost kicked me out of the office when I informed them that my testicles had also seemed to have disappeared.

They told me my cahoonies had receded up into my chest trying to stay warm and they would drop back down once I got into a warmer climate so I'm sorry but I must decline the undertaking of that scientific research.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

jeff- Dave is a good friend of mine. I didn't think you had enough daylight to shoot this time of year. But, I guess if it is -10 F, it does not matter if you are shooting in the dark.

Pat Ireland

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

Pat it's actually easier to shoot up here under lights than with the daylight that is available. The sun is only 10 degrees about the horizon this time of year and is only up for 5.5 hours. By the way to all "Happy Soltice". Yahoo we are gaining daylight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.