1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Target Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powder-em, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powder-em

powder-em Member

OK for all you math wizards. How much does a 27 yard target rise between the time you fire and the leading edge of your shot string gets there. And just to complicate this a little more how does that compare to a 16 your target. If this has been discussed please just paste me a link. Thanks for the help. Dave

2. bigben

bigben Active Member

Dave, math is great but i like to equate my observations, if you shoot well at the 16's and fall down on longer range handicap you gun is shooting too low, a neutral or starting gun is 100% that is at the point of aim at a target, at 37 yards the bottom of your shot pattern will just be touching the large dot on your paper target. Where most shooters get dumbfounded is as they call for the target they they instinctively move the gun up in anticipation of the rising target! Some shooters will say this too high but it is not, as the really good accomplished shooters shoot guns much higher, it's just that they don't move until the target clears the barrel! incinerate em!

3. powder-em

powder-em Member

4. powder-em

powder-em Member

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I started to calculate this apparent simple trig problem but then I quickly remembered that the target flight is not a straight line, it is a curve. I do not know what the curve is so I can't help. I do know that the shot has slowed to around 1000 ft/sec and the target has slowed to about 35 MPH. How fast the shooter shoots the target is another unknown factor. The rate of target rise declines with time until it reaches 0 and then it begins to fall.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.