1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

handicap system

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauser, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauser

Hauser Member

missedsome

You might want to stick to criticizing the merits of the suggestions and not the motovation of the posters.

Jerry Hauser

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

wow...though it looks like several posters have deleted.

Why can't people who don't win practice more and get better....or accept that without some dedication and time on the range it just isn't gonna happen for them?

Why must people who are successful be penalized or otherwise brought to heel so that someone who doesn't deserve it can win?

Sounds like something Kennedy, Obama or Pelosi would want to me.

4. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Jerry,

Yeah, but then he wouldn't be ridiculing and disrupting the thread. Same for Hauxfan.

+1 for Hauser, doing a good work.

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Can we have an Amen!! Good for you Jeff, I like your attitude. I feel the same way. I work hard to improve and gain yardage. I will not ask that any additional handicap be placed on anybody. Cream rises to the top, as it should be. I'm presently at the 22, I play the options and the big boys don't always get my money. J.Woolsey

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

J. Woolsey,

They will get your money. When you win you move back and the targets are tougher the next time. When they win they don't move and things stay the next time.

jim brown

7. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Jim, did they not go through the same process? Seems pretty equal opportunity to me. I play the "safe" options for me, 25's 50's Lewis I usually hit at least one of the 25's and at least one 50, 49, 48. So I usually get a part if not all of my entry money back. The Lewis is pure chance for most. J.W.

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

When they went through the system nobody was dominating the scores in handicap. We were all pretty much equal in handicap. If you broke a 96 in caps your name would show up on the payout sheet. They could afford to compete because they won some and targets were quite a bit cheaper. If you shoot the same number of targets I have the registered targets alone would cost you $103,000. The practice and non-registered would surely double that. Can you afford $200,000 or pay it off by winning a little in the 25's and 50's. BTY I haven't practiced nearly enough yet to compete with the big dogs. Most of them have shot far more than I have.

jim brown

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

J.Woolsey, one of those 50s at the right shoot may garner you an additional yard also? If it's long range shooting you want, you can ask to be advanced to the 25 now,no reductions for two years, it used to be 26-1/2 yards. You had to earn your way to the 27 yard line though. Easier angles and shooting with 14 other guys and win with any score and bingo-bango, you are there!

Did you know at one point in time to join the ranks of the ATA, your application had to be signed by two life members that supposedly knew you?

Maybe we should adopt a mandatory history lesson on our sports history and one must pass that test before becoming a member too? Sounds about as silly as some of the other rules we have in the rule book today too.

How many average members can break 100s at average sized shoots today? Not very many at all is the correct answer. Most are lucky to break much over what our top shooters average from the max! Our sports history says change is needed, not for you or I, for the most proficient ones! Hap

10. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I can remember in the 70's, when a 96 was a real good handicap score and paid a real good lick. If I shoot one now I'm either in a 8 to 10 way tie or someone has a 97 to 99. I do agree that the big dogs are more consistant in hammering out the big scores. Jim, I'm just hardheaded and not going to give up trying. (The eternal Optimist) J.W

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

J.Woolsey

"I'm just hardheaded and not going to give up trying. (The eternal Optimist)"

Did someone ask you to stop trying? I don't even know you and I would be ashamed of you if you did.

My only concern is if you as a 22yd shooter shoots that 96 as it stands now you get a half yard. I would like to see that the 27yd shooter that also shoots 96 actually get to move a half yard as you do. I believe that if that happens everything else will take care of itself.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.