1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Shooting Struggle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goldenkc, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

Same old story. I and my team always shoot very good at the 16, but the following next shoot, we are moved back to the 25, and our scores drop. Of
    course then we moved forward again, and we shoot good again.
    It may be part mental, but any tips in shooting handicap when moving farther
    back in yardage. We usually shoot a practice round before the league round.
    It is frustrating, but I really like this sport.

Thanks, Keith

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

Keith
    Most shooters scores drop when they move from 16 to 25 yards.

25 yards is a different game and if your not practicing it regularly don't be surprised to struggle.

Shawn

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Raise the comb on your stock inorder to combat the effects of gravity. HMB

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Understand that everything done wrong from the 16 (whcih you can get away with alot and still break many targets) will be greatly enhanced from the 25. Make absolutely sure everyones gun is properly fitted, shoots straight left to right, and then as hmb says, raise the comb. Without knowing I would gamble to say that most guns involved are flat shooters. It also takes a complete delivery of the fundamentals at long yardage to be effectively consistent.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

+1 what everybody has said. Just curious but what guns, chokes and shells are you using? Get the fundamentals down, stance, mount, gun position, etc. for each post.

One thing you can try is to shoot a whole round at the 25 from post 3, this will give you a good visual of where your POA and POI are. Then move to posts 2 and 4, then 1 and 5.

Wayne

6. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm shooting a BT99, but when I look down the rib the beads are lined up behind each other, not stacked. So I would assume it is shooting flat. No comb, so I will add some tape to create height, and try at next practice. It seems I have more trouble with straight aways, than angle shots at 25 yds. Will pattern soon for POI.

Keith

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Keith, you got a lot of good tips here. Here is another. Even though the target flight for singles and 25 yard handicap is identical, the apparent speed the target rises is faster for caps, because of the change in the geometry.

If you hold a high gun and make a short move to target, I'll bet you are shooting under straight aways. In that case, adding 1/8" to 3/16" to your comb should correct it.

If you hold a lower gun and make a quick move to the target, you are probably shooting over. In that instance, adding height to your comb is a mistake.

If I were you, I'd set the trap to throw straights. Then shoot from Post 3 and experiment. Try shooting under, at and over the target from 25. That will tell you what you need to know better than shooting for POI. 50 to 100 targets will tell you if you are better off adjusting your hold points, move to target, and/or bead/bird relationship when you pull the trigger, or adjusting your comb.

I've tried adjusting my swing, etc. which I consider a better approach. I just can't seem to manage it. So I raise my comb for long yardage handicap, then lower it for singles and doubles. It's a pain, especially when I forget.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Shooting from the 27 once an month doesn't do much to keep ones game up either...that's the hassle with being 60 miles from the nearest club...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
25 yard handicap trap shooting tips
handicap trap shooting tips

trap shooting handicap tips

trapshooting struggles