1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Shooting Adjustment Necessary

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loophole, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

What adjustment/s need to be made as you move back when shooting?

2. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Raise the comb make the gun shoot higher, But if you need to do this before 23 yards your gun is shooting a little to flat,Hold maybe a bit lower on the house as well. All just my opinion.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Raise your POI. HMB

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I agree with all above.. But learn to get on the target sooner..and get that swing going.. I've found that rapid agression.. and pulling thru the target yields great results. Unless you already shoot reasonably quick..It's hard to ride the target from the 27 and have good results.. Also.. getting to the target quicker gives cross winds less time to play with the target.. AND.. personally.. I prefer a 1250 fps shell.. The lag time of 1150's screw with my head.. I require pull/break..... not pull.........../break.. Many people differ on that.. I'm speaking for myself only..

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Mike said. 1250 fps and a high POI is the key for me at the back fence. I have adjusted my bead-to-bird relationship for the 16 yard target. I do not change my gun for different targets.

6. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Raise your POI, shoot 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 at 1200 to 1250 fps. DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT THE TARGET FASTER!!! Seeing the target is extremely important in handicap. TAKE YOUR TIME and get a good hard look at the target. When you do this, it will appear to slow down. Make a smooth precise swing at the target, and stay focused on it. Don't rush, or chase a blur like many of us are prone to do at the 16 yard line. Every little screw up and sloppiness is amplified with yardage.

~Michael

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The primary adjustment is in your head. Handicap targets are harder to hit so you must work harder. With singles and doubles, you can get in a groove and things are easy. This rarely happens with handicap targets.

Pat Ireland

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hold lower, shoot higher and don't hesitate!!

Curt

9. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

how can you tell somebody to shoot a higher gun, when you dont know what he is shooting now. if your hitting 16 yard targets good, then stay with that poi, practice on your way back in yardage. there is no shortcuts,if a 2 3/4 shell is used on singles then maybe bump up to a 3 dram shell somewhere at mid yardage, again that is practice that works for you

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

I set my gun for handicap POI and use it for singles with the same setup. The main difference is I hold a lower gun for handicap.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Going from a 2 3/4 shell to a 3 shell won't help. A higher POI will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.