1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap scores Higher with voice pulls??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superxjeff, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I thought it was painfully obvoious that this was the case but I have a man who either hasn't seen it or wants empirical evidence to prove the fact.

I think that the winning handicap score is higher now since voice pulls have become the norm. I know that it seems a 98 or better is required to win just about any handicap.

Plain and simple... Are the winning handicap scores higher on average today or do you think they are the same?

The same meaning it took just as high a score 15 years ago to win a handicap then it does now.Jeff

2. bigben

bigben Active Member

Jeff, right on! 1992, 96-97, you made money and all is good!, by the time 96 rolls around, 99-100 are the winners, I remember one moronic shooting friend saying with the voice activators, I'l lkick the "big boys a==] I told him you don't know what you are wishing for, the high 90's handicap shooters are now going to run the table! and having shot with them, the results are in black and white![and green for the money] the only deterrent for e high scores were the quality of the pullers, the All Americans stayed at home with their focus and gun movement, not so for the "cannon fodder" tring to beat them with inferior shooting fundimentals! Even now, watch a donater call for a target with a voice activated system that does not thow on time, his gun moves at leat 6 inches and the target has no appeared yet! LOST is the result, incinerate em!

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I can remember being a trap boy back in the 60s at a small club. We had a local shooter go to the Grand one year and he broke a 95 in GAH. No he didn't win but he came back with money. We thought he was a God. Shooting in the mid 90s at the biggest shoot in the world.

Now a 95 in handicap at a local one trap club won't even get you an atta boy.

I don't have any numbers but it just seems from normal observation the scores today are so much higher. It always took a 100 or 99 to win a super big shoot like the Grand, but now their are dozens of 98s, 97s that we used to never see.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most of the naysayers only read about Trapshooting in a book before the advent of voice systems. The rest only know what they think they know shooting from the 21 yd. line!!

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

They might be higher due to the consistancy of the release time. Makes it easier to get a good score today than it used to with hand pulls that could & did vary in release time.

Eric

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Geez Eric? Do you think that may have something to do with it?Jeff

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Times in the 100 meter dash are better along with all the track and field events. Caused by voice pulls or 2 hole targets?

jim brown

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Jim, because whatever's chasing them is faster now....

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Check the number of shooters that have obtained the Grand Slam before and after voice releases. If memberships went down, but Slams went up, it should tell you something.

One of our favorite posters brought this up.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Ask Daro Handy

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Damn voice pulls and 2 hole targets caused the price of beer to go up too.

jim brown

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Voice activated calls wasn't the reasons for increased averages by the top guns, easier angles were!

Even when we had people doing the pulling, the top shooters didn't move their gun till they saw the targets! When they did see it, it was sometimes a tougher angle to get the correct lead on.

Hap

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The first time I went to Vandalia, I watched a squad of All-Americans, all very famous shooters, always on the covers of magazines. They shot 125x125 at singles, but the poor trapboy must have thrown nearly 200 targets to get thru the round. I walked away in disgust, thinking to my self: "you call this shit a sport" Bah, Humbug!

14. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Sprinters are faster, golfers are better, pro football players are bigger, faster and in better condition. The same goes with shooters. As a group we (you and i) are better.

7 years ago our club would have 1 or 2 25's per month. With no change in launch method, we are having 1 or 2 25's per squad.

I give small credit to voice but the major credit go's to the quality of shooters.

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Shotguns have improved, shells have improved, traps have improved so I would think scores would improve also.

16. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Just could be that most places are using pat traps now instead of the old winchesters. I don't beleive pats throw as many wide angles as the winchesters did

Bob

17. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Books, DVD's, Wall Charts, and one on one instruction from All Americans helped a lot also, along with the internet. The opportunity to learn is larger than it has ever been. Instruction along with better equipment in general, along with two hole targets. Its a bunch of different things combined. MHO Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.