1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Who is able to shoot from the 18/19 yard line in handicap? The reason I ask is I know several shooters including me who have a hard time shooting in the 70's from the 20 yard line. Due to my age and health problems my score have suffered. I won,t quit the sport because I love it. I often wonder how many people quit the sport because the are over handicapped. I believe the handicap yardage should start at the 17 yard line until a persons average goes up or they have a win or score of 95.

2. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

How many registered hcp targets do you have. The ATA does reviews every 100 targets. Im sure a average in the 70's will get you a yardage reduction. If you have less than 1000....you havent got your review yet.

3. Trap4

Trap4 Member

17 yard line IS not handicap, neither is 18 yard line , Handicap should start on the 22 yard line.. Not the 18, 19, or 20.

trap-4

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You need to review the singles average requirement at the back of the ATA rule book. If you have a "relative 16 yard average" of less than 93.0, based on at least 500 birds, you may get reduced below 20 yards.

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Talk to your delegate. At one time if you were a vet or super vet you could be reduced below the 20 yard line. I don't see the rule in the 2010 rules. There is a statement on page 26 about requesting a special review through your delegate.

I disagree with Trap-4, the handicap event is suppose to "level the playing field" giving the not so good shooter a chance to beat the good shooter. Just look at the singles scores and/or averages of the C and D class shooters and compare them to the averages of the top shooters.

Jason

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

waverider in the current rulebook you should find

SECTION VI

THE ATA HANDICAP SYSTEM

The ATA Handicap system is the method whereby shooters whose ability to win
    or compete at a level of accomplishment has been demonstrated and shooters
    whose ability is unknown are handicapped by shooting a greater distance from
    the trap house. The minimum handicap is 18.0 yards and the maximum is 27.0
    yards.

It does appear that Trap4 is working pretty hard at being difficult as to my knowledge the starting handicap yardage hasn't been at 22yds since the 1970's as it stands now a new shooter starts at 20 and may be reduced as far down as the 18yd line through the reduction process.

Bob Lawless

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

trap-4- I disagree with your statement.

Pat Ireland

8. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"17 yard line IS not handicap, neither is 18 yard line , Handicap should start on the 22 yard line.. Not the 18, 19, or 20.

trap-4 "

Kinda depends on what you shoot from the 16 doesn't it.

I assume you're one of the guys that thinks if you're not an "A" shooter...you should stay home. Too bad...it doesn't do much to help the sport.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The game of handicap trap is about further adding difficulty for the most proficient shooters in the game already at the max yardage. Adding distance is one way, adding more angle is another. I can't recall reading anything about giving anyone below the best shots in the game a better chance to win? Where does it say that?

I totally disagree with Trap4 also, that's just more nonsense, the same as ATA tried to do in the 70s with new shooters. That didn't work out too well either for growing our sport!

Hap

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The Grand American Handicap was won 7 times from the 16 yd Line. Maybe thats why they thought they needed a Handicap earned Yardage system ?

11. Garry

Garry Active Member

SECTION VI

THE ATA HANDICAP SYSTEM

The ATA Handicap system is the method whereby shooters whose ability to win or compete at a level of accomplishment has been demonstrated and shooters whose ability is unknown are handicapped by shooting a greater distance from the trap house.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Question - What is the ATA's definition of 'compete'?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone like the idea of having the yardage class winners shootoff to determine the overall winner of the event?

12. Garry

Garry Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.