1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Problem, Help to Fix!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HUNTER64, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HUNTER64

HUNTER64 Member

The last 3 weeks in league, I have hot 73 out of 75 at 16 yrd. Now to the problem, I have shot 61 out of 75 at 25 yrd.... I have broke 4 and 5's on post 1-2 and 2,3,1 on post 3,4,5.. I have no clue what would cause me to start doing this.. I seem like a I miss a few maybe I am starting to aim to correct and then it really tanks.. I have been shooting for 20 years and this just started in the last 2 years since I have started shooting more and more. Mental, timing, any practice idea's or comments would be great...I need help?
    Thank You in advance to all that help with suggestions

2. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

Ever see the movie "Tin Cup"? You need to put all your change in your left pocket, move your wallet to the opposite pocket, hike up your skirt, and take your head out of your a$$! In all seriousness more than likely you are lifting your head, try slowing down a bit, there is no need for super handicap shells at that yard line so a lighter shell may help too. If you are a one eyed shooter, make sure you aren't peeking with your other eye. Hope this helps

3. toad67

toad67 Member

Are you a right handed shooter?? If so don't forget to move your body along with the gun for those right angles. Maybe go try a round of skeet to get yourself back in the groove of staying with the bird. Every once in a while you need to press the reset button on yourself and flush all of the crappy bad habits that clog up your brain. Good luck!!

Todd

4. HUNTER64

HUNTER64 Member

Yes, I am RH, and I am shooting a 682 Gold E Beretta, thank you for the helpful suggestions.. I will put them to good use.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

maybe your stance is too open (towards the left) when on 3,4,5. When you swing to the right you might be dipping your right shoulder. close up (face more toward the right) on 3, 4, 5. You will still be able to shoot the left angle straight away, but will have better control going to the right.....

just my $2.00 worth....

Jim C

Hell, Michigan

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I experienced the same problem several years ago. My eyes had "floaters" and I had corrective surgery. Other slumps I found I had succombed to the most common cause of missed targets ; it is due to lifting the head. Being right handed you may be swinging the gun off you face, ie, arm shooting. I would be you are hitting lefts off of post 3 and missing rights. You could have a practice trap locked for right angles, shoot posts 3,4 &5 only, you could even go a couple steps to the right as if there were a 6 post. Start close and as you work on shooting each target correctly, move back. Shoot hundreds if need be until you are ink spotting the birds.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

So many things could be causing your low handicap scores. Any suggestions we might make are just wild guesses. The great majority of shooters are able to provide good suggestions when they watch you shoot. Without seeing you shoot I don't know how anyone can help.

Now, if you can give us some specific problems such as left hand targets seem to occasionally disappear from your vision or you are shooting behind the angles from posts one or five, you can get some good help on this site.

Pat Ireland

8. HUNTER64

HUNTER64 Member

It feels like I am pulling the trigger and knowing darn good and well I am not on the bird. It is almost like my mind is telling my finger it is time to pull it, but I am not on the bird yet. I tried a slower shell this weekend and shot better all on post's 3,4,5 but still not like I was... I made my stance checks, head down, and over exag. my swings but still had a few birds the finger pulled cause of the brain, knowing when I squeezed I was not in the right Spot!

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Move your focus and hold point more to the right so you see those birds earlier. Also try to lower your hold point. It may be a focus issue. On 5 try holding 1' of the corner of the house so you can see the hard rights leave the house.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My guess is that you have a vision problem. On stations 1 & 2 you see the bird first with your shooting eye (right eye) and everything is fine. On the other stations your left eye is picking up the bird first and is taking over. They call it cross firing and it is a common problem. HMB

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What you are describing is sounds like you really aren't seeing the target. As we all know, seeing the target well gets more and more difficult the farther you get from it. So with that in mind, I would ask the following;

1) When was your last visit to the optomitrist?

2) Are you new to the 25 yard line or have you shot from that distance much in the past?

3) Do you notice any trend with the targets you do hit? (chipped, top hits, bottom hits L/R, smoked - any consistency?

4) have you tried blacking out or removing your front bead?

5) have you tried starting the gun in different places?

6) Ever had professional coaching?

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

hmb's post would have been mine if I read this thread earlier. Been there: done that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.