1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Practice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Jul 23, 2013.

1. FNG

FNG Member

Would it be helpful to practice handicap from a yardage greater than the yardage shot in tournaments ? If so, how much farther ? I'm a short yardage shooter and I have shot some good scores, just not very often and I don't seem to be improving. My scores are very erratic and when I do shoot a good score, I have no idea how I did it.
    Thanks for your input.

2. plux001

plux001 Member

Good question to ask. I suggest you practice one yard more than your yardage. At registered shoots, your actual yardage will seem "easier", and when you get a punch, you will already know you can break birds from your "new" yardage.

Paul

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Kiner advises +1

4. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

A two yard slide is the best practice i think.

Start on 20 shot one shot move back 22 shoot one shot and so on.

After five shots move to the next post start on 20 and do the same thing.

Barry

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Some even advise to move up a yard to help build confidence also. Best thing is practice, practice, and more practice.

6. RedScare

RedScare Member

Plus 1 yard on practice has been working great for me.

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

Handicap within plus or minus 2 yds is nothing more than a place to stand! proved many times with students, I carry slaters felt, and when covering the yardarge markers, having them shoot, the are amazed when I roll up,the felt covers up the yardage markers, so they have no clue! after the 25, a 1 1/16, 1 /8 washer afffords big dividends! incinerate em!

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm wrong, but,

If you aren't practicing at the 27, you aren't learning anything useful.

Bob Falfa

9. Ryanthelion46

Ryanthelion46 Member

THe only yardage in trap is 27, with a full choke. Anything less, is uncivilized!

Ryanthelion

10. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have been on the 27 yard line many times as I step over it going to the yardage which I equally inept.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Practice your yardage. How the heck are you going to move back if you don't get proficient at the yardage you want to move back from.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Barry. The handicap landscape has changed. Looks quite different now. Seeing adult men stand on the 18 is dumbfounding. And they just shoot a little closer to 90 now. Have we gained more handicap shooters or lost the long yardage guys that shot for fun. Someone will know the numbers and how they stack up with years prior to the 2 yard gifts.

13. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

After I got to the 27, I could shoot 48's, 49's and 50's but couldn't put them together at reg. shoots. When they came out with the 2 yd reduction, thinking I was getting old and uncompetitive, I took it. Didn't shoot any better for a year, so I didn't take the next one, but finally shot a 96 and 98. That convinced me that you need to practice from the yardage where you compete, that there is a subtle difference, even at shorter and thus supposedly easier posts.

14. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Your question asks whether practicing from a little further back would help. Everyone has an opinion, and here's mine.

Rather than handicap, my question would be: "how is your 16 yard shooting?"

Put some pressure on yourself. Join some leagues at your local club or two. When you can run 25 at 16 yards often, you WILL gain some yardage at ATA handicap events.

When you get to the mid-yardage group, say 24 or 25 yards, yea, go shoot at 27 for practice. If you find you mostly shoot 20's or 21's you're only practicing missing and need to get to where you can break a 23 or 24, ALL the time. If that's at 23 or 22 or 21, practice there. But don't practice missing.

If you can hit them all, most of the time, at 22, you will be a winner at 25. It puts into your mind that you can break them all. That's more important than practicing from a yard or two further back, with misses.

15. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have to go with Shooter R above. I know lots of shooters that practice from the 27, and feel that the 22 or 23 that they break makes them a 27 yard shooter. Let's face it. 88 and 92 are not going to win anything unless the weather is bad, so don't kid yourself into thinking that it's easy. If it were, lots more would have to shoot there.

As he says, practice breaking targets.

shoot well and have fun.

Rick in MT