1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap practice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The new shooting year is just 30 days away & I'm going to dedicate it to improving my handicap. My practice routine is shooting 25 shots from each station & then shooting at least 3 games. this gives me 200 practice shots-will be doing this at least 2 times a week---its about all my back can handle. Looking for any and all advice on handicap practice routines.

Phil Berkowitz

2. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

What yardage are you? You should practice 1 yard behind your ATA or league yardage, that way when you get there you will already have practice from there.

Kyle

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just the 21--want to get to at least the 24 this year. One club I shoot at is going to start scheduling handicap as the first event followed by singles. This should help.

Phil Berkowitz

4. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

So when you go to your club next go shoot a round or 2 from the 22. This will help a lot. You will go into that yard with a lot more confidence knowing you have shot there before and know what you need to do in order to break each bird.

Kyle

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have more trouble with Post 1 and Post 5 so when I shoot practice I work on specific things like gun hold and eye hold over the house. I shoot 10 shots from Post 1, 5 shots from Post 3, and 10 shots from Post 5. For me this is like shooting 2 practice rounds for the price of one.

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Phil, The first thing you should do is trade away the two cheap guns you are shooting and get a good 1100. I have an 1187 I would trade. Both of your guns and I'll give $100 to boot.LOL

Seriously, settle down to one gun and shoot to have fun. (look who's talking, Mr. always looking for another gun). But I have settled down to only shooting my Pro 3 and it has helped. See you soon, Marc

7. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

lucky hunter,

just a question--if Phil can't master the 21 yard line why would he shoot farther back? He should practice closer and then move back.

Just my opinion

Ron Burdick

8. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

635g:

Your plan over all is good. I would just add a few things you could do as you train (not practice). As you already stated, you'll shoot 25 at each station. That's good. And since you are a 21 yard ATA shooter, I would do the following at each station;

Post #1

1) Shoot one shot at 22 yards, then move back to 23 & shoot again; then 24; then 25; then 26 yards...
    2) Move to Post #2 and repeat above...
    3) Continue same routine to Post #5...
    4) Shoot your so-called three games at 22, 23, & 24 yards...

That is a tough 200 shot training session, and you are accomplishing a number of things doing it this way. You are training your mind to different sight pictures; you are exercising your vision at different distances; you are learning the three (3) angles that emanate from each post; you are establishing your set-up over 200 rounds; you are working on proper stance and much more. Good luck in your training. And as you do these procedures, just remember that another shooter (me) will also be doing them along with other training routines....Cya

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Colt1911A1---thats a good drill, but with Canterbury's its a Royal Pain in the Butt moving the speakers--if the clubs in my area used ERADS-nooo problem. That is the drill that Nora & Kaye recommend. So maybe I'll do this- Mon-drill from the 22, Wed drill from the 23 , Fri drill from the 24

Phil Berkowitz

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Phil Kiner advises that you practice from one yard more than your handicap in case you get a punch during a shoot.

11. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I never thought about what system you had, but Canterberry's can be a problem. But just moving them one yard back at a time is workable; I know from experience because that is what our range has as well. You just have to move them softly or you will be wasting a lot of clays. Now if you are the only shooter or can get a pulled, you're all set. Whatever, Phil, train hard and success is a given....Cya

12. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

Ron Burdick

What I suggested is that during PRACTICE he should shoot from the 22 that way the 21 will seem easier and if he ends up getting a punch during a shoot he will have the confidence going into that yardage because he knows he shot there before and knows what to expect.

I have done this before and it has helped me a lot. Maybe it won't work for him maybe it will. All is did was suggest something that worked for me.

Kyle

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

If you can't hit em from the 21 why practice from the 22.

Concentrate on constantly breaking targets from your correct yardage and even move up a yard once and a while. What you want is confidence in BREAKING the target. You won't get a punch (in most cases) until you break at least a 96 and you won't stay there unless you hold a 90% average.

14. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I would start with improving your physical condition, exercise,diet,walking,eye control exercises, eat food to help maintain your eyesight. Practice mounting your gun and dry fire it with snap caps in it. Mount it with your eyes closed then open them see how far off you are. This helps develop mussel memory. Go shoot some targets like you plan to while getting into a nice training routine.
    Go online and buy a Bullworker exerciser they are isometric and it will improve your strength and flexibility cost $12. check it out. I am 65yo and I would like to compete for the prize next year. Two deaths(wife and her mother) in the family in one year have hindered my shooting and training. I just started shooting after 20 years so I am very rusty and have let my body deteriorate more than I should have. But "I'll be back" next year God willing.

Harry

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Harry,I've got a personal trainer three times a week> I'm determined to make some real progress next year. Even though I'm 68.

Phil Berkowitz

16. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I am with you except I have to train myself. I have a life membership to Bally's Health Club but never went after they eliminated the swimming pool years ago. My friend who I went to high school and college with has taken lessons with Phill K, Nora and a doubles clinic. His big advantage is he shoots 15,000 rounds at least a year. This year I only shot 400 so far. My best score was 23 from 23 yards.
    He can now shoot with the best. My goal is to match him next year. Oh he shoots a Ljutic for S&H and a P MX8 for Dubs. He's flying out to the Grand from back East Sunday. I shoot an 870 Comp and don't do dubs. I know we can do this!!

Harry

17. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Start at 20 yards and shoot a round, then 20-1/2, then 21, and then 21-1/2. Or shoot 18,19,20, and 21. There's your 200. Next time, start at 19, 20, 21 and 22, and do this several times. If 21 is your yardage, stop at 23. It does you no good to shoot further back, according to Kiner, but you're ready for your next yardage when you finally connect the dots if you plan for it by adding a yard.

Starting closer allows your head to get around the distance, as if you're shooting singles, which is what your brain tells you are easy birds. Sneak up on your yardage. It helped me a lot. Shooting from 1 and 5 is also good practice if angles are something that needs help. I do this too.

This is just opinion, but it's a waste of shells to just keep banging away at 21 yards without a plan, because it doesn't solve the problem. Practicing from way back is just going to screw you up worse. And forget games. 30 yards is a waste of your time and money.

Good luck.

18. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Save part of your money and take a class from a quality instructor. Kiner, Campbell, Harrison, Hoppe, get the picture. They will do you more good than any advice you get on here.

19. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I'll politely disagree, trapshooter1. I've had classes from Kiner (twice), Campbell and Harrison, I learned a lot and I respect all three of them. I don't regret spending a penny, and recommend their classes.

But they won't teach you how to shoot caps. They'll explain it, and maybe help you understand it, but you have to figure out caps yourself. Phil's video camera may help if you're doing something grossly wrong and all three of them may help you solve a specific problem or catch you doing something ineffective, but they can't (and don't promise to) make an 80 shooter into a 95 shooter in a weekend.

Like most things, you gotta do the work.

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've taken clinics from Harlan, Kiner Nora & Dennis DeVault.--I've learned a bit from each of them. I will not say anything but it was money well spent. My back problems cause my head to get out of the game. If I can shoot 100 targets pain free, I shoot well.

I going to concentrate on caps & doubles, this year--with the emphasis on caps.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best way to shoot handicap trap

hcp shooter