1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap powder?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SR1, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I am looking for a good load useing unique or red dot. Loads will be AA hull,1 1/8 claybuster wad,sts primer. Thank you Shaun.

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

DO A SEARCH!!!! Numerous posts! Follow powder mfg's data sheets! JEEEEZ!!!

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Andy44.......as much effort as you put in sarcasim... you could have just answered the guys question.

the first 2 posts I have read this afternoon, you have given a smart answer, if you are that impatient with everybody why don't you just post all the answers so people can then ask the question??

tony

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

There simply aren't enough words that can answer questions such as this. READ IT! NO amount of info would suffice. "good load" ???? Good for WHAT?? "unique or red dot" Two totally different powders! "1 1/8 claybuster wad " WHICH 1 1/8 oz Claybuster wad? Not to mention no gun type, shooting style, recoil sensitivity, etc. In cases as these, sarcasm is appropriate! Impatient? TS.com as taught me that!
    AndyH

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Andy44 YOU are a POMPIS A** nowonder this site is going to H*** with D***'* like you.Drop dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its ok to for everyone to ask stupid questions that dont even apply to shooting and thats OK I ask a question and you have to be a jerk and reply.You sir are whats wrong with this site.

6. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Shaun, if your handicap yardage is 22 yards or less, you really don't need to go to a different type of shell than what you already use for 16 yards. If you are shooting longer yardages you might like to look up some loads on the Alliant website for Green Dot powder. This powder is favored by a lot of handicap shooters for providing a good handicap load in the 1200-1250 fps range with a bit more center density in your patterns and also a bit less felt recoil than the same velocity load with Red Dot. I've used it for years for handicap and am very happy with the results I get. .....Rick

7. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Andy 44 - If you can't say something nice, and play well with others, just shut up! Nobody wants to hear an arrogant want-to-be know it all!

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I didn't originally respond to the post, since there was very little info to go on. What is the desired velocity? What yardage handicap? What components do you have on hand, exactly? That would be a good start. The first recommendation would be to ditch the STS primer for some powders. I would also select a wad that would give decent performance at longer range, if it is to be used past 23 yards. The Red Versalite from Downrange is a good start. Green Dot is a great powder and about 20 grains would work if I am correct about the type of wads you have on hand. I am just assuming that they are the CB1118-12, since you are using the Win AA hull. If they are the CB0178-12 "Orange Wad", I'd rethink that strategy for handicap loads, unless you shoot from the 21/22 or closer. The STS primer can cause a "ball of flame" to be evident out of the ejection port on an auto like the 1100 with some powders. For that reason, I will not use them with Green Dot. It is rather spectacular at night.

I would suggest that you look through the data available on the powder manufacturers websites. Choose one that gives decent pressures (8000-9500 psi) with your components, for consistency. Then take some out and pattern them to see how they perform. If you have access to a chronograph, that would be a plus. If you would be using them in cold weather, put some in the freezer and then run them over a chronograph while they are still cold. If they perform well in that condition, you would be in pretty good shape. If you will be shooting them in very hot weather, then you want to make sure the pressures of the load you select are reasonable, since pressures will generally climb with temperature incrases. Some powders are less affected by temperature changes. Some combinations of powder and primers do not work well in cold weather. There are many other considerations, but this is a good start. The end result would be a load that is customized to your individual preferences and needs.

Unique will work alright in the 1200 - 1250 fps category, but it is less efficient than some other powders and would not be my first choice. Red Dot or Promo is fine up to around 1200 fps, but wouldn't be a good choice for heavy handicap loads. For 1200 to 1250, Green Dot, International Clays, and a host of other "medium" powders would be good.

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Sorry for not being more specific I am going to be shooting a 2yrd hop league you start at the 18yrd and move back 2yrds after each shot. The gun is a Citori Special Trap with 30in.bbl's and I will be useing win aa hulls . I can get just about any wad or powder combo that would perform well,recoil does not bother me so anything from 1200fps-1300fps would be what I am looking for. I tried to find a load on Allient's site before I asked here but it said it was down for maintainence. This is just a fun league so we dont need to go by ATA rules normally I shoot a 1oz load with 16.5 gr of red dot for every thing including handicap as my yardage is only 20 right now. I hope this info helps as I did not give enough when I first posted. Thank you Shaun.

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Hey noodle! Who asked for your 2 cents worth? You didn't even answer the post. MYOFB!

11. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Shaun-

I have shot a LOT of Unique, and found that because of it's "fluffiness" wad selection is limited using A-A hulls. So far, I really like the Downrange Versalite wad over 23 gr of Unique in A-As. I prefer Wolf, then Cheddite primers over anything else. This load will crush 'em from any handicap position without beating you up. For most, recoil DOES have an adverse effect after a while. The Downrange DR F3-12 wad (Federal 12S3 copy) works very well in larger capacity hulls such as STS, Federal GMs, etc. You can go to 24 gr in those. HTH AndyH

12. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Thank you Andy.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Consider Titegroup.

Its (essentially) what is used in Remington Nitro 27 handicap loads.

Look in the Hodgdon data for loads. I use one that (actually tested on a pressure gun and a chrono) tests out at right at 1200 ft/sec and 10,000 psi.

Good stuff.

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with Timb on the Titegroup. Been using it for 3 years for everything<br>
    All STS hulls & primers, yellow 1oz. windjammer wads, 1 oz. 7.5 shot with 16 grains for singles <br>
    and 1st shot doubles, same wad with 1 1/8 oz. 7.5 shot and 18.3 grains for caps.<br>
    Great shooting loads.

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you had started with: "Tried the Alliant website but it is down. I need a load for a 2 yard Hop League starting at the 18 yard line. I have ...." I think Andy would have been more cordial.

From Alliant's "Over 125 Years Of Experience" Guide (no year edition) that I got in May of this year so it is 2007 or 2008 edition.

Win AA hull, Rem 209P primer, Win WAA12 wad, 1 1/8 oz of shot (use 7 1/2)

Red Dot 19.0 grs = 1200 f/s & 9500 psi

Unique 23 grs = 1200 f/s & 7500 psi; 24 grs = 1250 f/s & 9300 psi

Jason

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Since I load 20 and 28 with Unique, it was natural that once I ran out of Solo 1250 I would try Cap loads with Unique. Titegroup seems to generate maximum pressures (11,400psi) at around 1250 in the AA hull. I prefer to load between 9000-10000 PSI in shotshells.

For loads of 1250 fps or faster, Unique is a great powder. It IS bulky, and you might be better off with Remmy or Federal hulls. Not only does the AA hull have a smaller boiler room, it develops more pressure than other hulls, and does limit powder and wad selection. I like the CB3118-12AR, 12S3 clone and the Windjammer for long distance loads. Unique can be loaded to 1300 foot, if that level of performance is desired, and that level of recoil can be tolerated. (ouch)

I load 24 gr Unique with Windjammer wads, Fed 209A primer in a GM hull with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's and have come to prefer it when shooting in the back yard. It is way too much for 16's or even the second shot of Dubs. Recoil is moderate, but the horsepower and expense are more than is needed up close.

Pressures are moderate, and on the back fence it really boils the target with an Angleport 40 point choke in my Browning Unsingle.

17. Robert Long

Robert Long Member

If you ask Andy you'll find that there is not too many people that have played reloader as much as he has. He is wealth of knowledge and he shares it. He also can back it up on the range.

Just my opinion.

Rob

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

SR1,

I would probably suggest a load with 1 1/8 oz of 8s, or 7 1/2s if you prefer, Winchester 209 Primer, 20.0 grains of Green Dot and the Downrange Red Versalite. The WAA12, Fig8, or clones, can do fine as well. The Federal 12S3 is a great wad for a straight walled hull and some people use it for the STS and AA. I don't. I get around 1235 fps with this load and the Versalite wad is one of the best handicap wads I have ever used. I would start with a more open choke at the 18 (Mod or IM) and change to a tighter one past 22 yards (IM or Full), using the Versalite. A little time on a pattern board will tell you which may perform better for you. Shoot some targets at the various yardages and see how it works.

Red Dot is a little fast and Unique is a tad slow, but both could work with careful component selection. Watch the pressures with Red Dot when the velocity gets near 1200 with 1 1/8 oz. I try to stay under 9500 psi or so, with a few approaching 10,000, using Red Dot. With Unique, I try to get the pressures up over 8000 psi.

Your 1 oz load would be a little too light for my preference, but I have used a 1 oz for handicap. I like to step them up a little to around 1235 fps. You could consider that as well.

You can download the Alliant Catalog and look for data there. It's available from their home page.

19. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Quack Shot--Thank-you for your courtesy and straight forward answer to the initial inquiry.I have to agree with Noodle. I would take the info posted by Andy44 and use a shredder to make a bed for a gerbil.What an immature sounding ass he is.

20. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Thanks everyone I am going to try the Green Dot load with Versalite wad and see how it patterns out of my gun. If anyone else has a load that they like I am open to more suggestions.
    Thank you Shaun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green dot powder recipe handicap

wsf for handicap loads