1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DanBee, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanBee

DanBee TS Member

As a general rule....should the POI of your handicap gun be higher, lower or the same as your singles gun?

2. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

You just think you are over.

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

What Phil said. Get to the patterning board.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Long ago someone told me . Most lost targets are shot under (most straight aways)

5. DanBee

DanBee TS Member

Higher, lower or the same?

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

do you set a guns poi at the hdcp and then move to the 16yd line? and if so how many use the same gun-same comb/rib settings for both events?

7. racer

racer TS Member

FWIW- I started raising the comb around the 24/25 yard line. Seemed to get harder breaks. I'm talking another 1/8" washer in addition to the washers that put the shot about 5" high at 13 yards. If the targets aren't smoking when you believe your shooting well, the comb's not high enough. Have fun, Dan

8. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Danbee,

I was punched to the 24 in Aug, and struggled with an 87, 85, 85, 74, and 81 in the next five events, Figured something had to change.

Went back and watched Phil's DVD again, added a 1/16 spacer for caps, hit 90 and 88. Figured that if a little was good more might be better. Added a 1/32, hit another 90, and then a 97 for a punch to the 25.

Made a believer out of me.

Jim

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It needs to be higher unless you are shooting trap on the moon. It's all about gravity. HMB

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Besides gravity there is geometry involved. All other things being equal, it takes about 3/16" more spacers under the comb to give you smoke from the 27 with the same aim points.

Alf-99, most of my misses on straight aways are over. That's a fact. I don't know why. I see it happening in real time, yet I pull the trigger anyway. Usually it is when I am surprised.

Danbe, it depends. If I set my POI for handicap, I can use it for singles. It works best if I use a more open choke. If I am using my unsingle with the really tight fixed choke, I am way better off adjusting the POI for singles, and then again for caps.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If one shoots the same gun (barrel)from the 16 and 27, they must make compromise in terms of the POI. I shoot under the 16 yard targets and slighty above the 27 yard targets, or at least try to. But, two barrels set up for each is the way to go.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I learned years ago that I needed to add 1/8th spacer to the comb for 27 yd handicaps, over 16 yd setting.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.