1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

handicap loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I had a pound of green dot laying around, so I figured I'd load up some handicap shells to use it up. I tried out the shells today and was amazed at how well they worked, I shot 23, 21, 25, 24, all from 25 yards, the 25 and 24 were in a round of 50 handicap, so I got 49/50, and that was my first 25 straight ever from the 25 yard line. This was the best I have ever shot in handicap. I think the extra speed really helps. Before this I was using 2 3/4 dram loads for everything and was struggling to beak 20-22 in long yardage handicap. Has anyone else expierienced this when using handicap loads.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

what was your load?

yes

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

jbmOU

SSSHHHHH!!!!!!! Don't give away the secret! I find that a faster shell works better for me at caps. Green Dot is a good choice, as are several other powders. I use a load that is just a bit over 1200 fps on my chronograph. It matches the velocity of one of my favorite "factory" handicap loads.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Quack Shot- I do the same thing you do. I always use Green Dot for handicap loads.

Pat Ireland

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why do you suppose they manufacture and sell Green Dot?

Ed Yanchok

6. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

If I mix Yellow Dot and Blue Dot will it make Green Dot?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

derbyacresbob- No, it will not. But if you mix Red Dot and Blue Dot it will make a large orange flash. It is not a good powder mix for shooting handicap but is good for the business of a gunsmith or a new gun dealer.

Pat Ireland

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Yes I shoot heavier loads for handicap. Does it make a difference or make things easier? I dunno, but it helps my confidence seeing that bird break just a split second after pulling the trigger, rather than having that slight delay I'd get with a 2 3/4 dram shell.

Green Dot is nice for 1200 fps loads (as is Winchester Super Target), but going up to the 1250 fps load with Green Dot, I found recoil to be a bit heavier than expected. Since I shoot Super Handicaps in competition, I now use that Winchester AA Super Handicap powder for my practice reloads. I honestly can't tell the difference between them and factory when I pull the trigger.

Michael

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Why do you suppose they manufactor and sell Handicap loads ..? There is a difference, thats why ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

My load is: STS hull, 22 grains of green dot, cheddite primer, wt12 wad. The book says it should go around 1250 fps. I know I'll be using a lot more of this load, I think I might go out later today and shoot a few rounds of handicap.

11. frank t

frank t TS Member

I would suggest trying a few loads with Unique powder. There is less bite than with green dot in the 1250 fps range and Unique is slow enough that it can be loaded over 1300 fps. I use it for handicap and sporting clays and havent found anything better

Frank T

12. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I probably will try some loads with unique since I am already running out of the green dot and I have had a pound of unique laying around for over a year now.

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

jbmOU,

I know that the book states that you are loading a 1250fps load. You may want to chrono this load to double check its speed. Find someone at your local club that is familiar with clocking loads. You might be surprised by what you find.

ec90t

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

ec90T- Your suggestion is good advice.

Pat Ireland

15. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

My guess would be...the higher the fps...the less lead you need to use as you get farther back, as opposed to using little to no lead from the 16. You probably did better because you are shooting hdcp with very similar leads to singles, speed your shot up and that lead becomes less necessary. Increase your lead on the target and you may not need the extra fps.

am i way off?

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Isn't it that you need to slow down your swing for caps? If that is so, wouldn't a faster shell make that transition harder? If you didn't slow down enough, you'd be WAY ahead of the bird, making a slower shell an advantage? Just a thought.

Quack

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hi Mike,

I just tried to put some logic into it. I usually do better with 1 1/8 at 1200 - 1250 myself at caps. I guess the pellet energy may have something to do with it, but if you think about it, it could be the other way around for the reason I stated. I usually use 1200 at 24 and up to 1250 at the 27 or parking lot ranges. Now I know why I shouldn't think about some things! :) I'm convinced there is little difference in my scores using a 1oz load at the 16, or even a fast 7/8. I have seen about a one bird difference with 1 1/8 at 24 and beyond. It's enough reason for me to spend the extra $.25 a box. A 7/8 oz load of 8 1/2 shot at 1300 crushes targets at the 16 yard line, when I do my part.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I also shoot a little heavier load at handicap targets. It just seems to be the logical thing to do. The reason is not to shoot handicap targets with the same lead as singles targets. 1150 ft/sec and 1200 ft/sec loads are not that much different at 40 yards. Also, leading an angled target is not something we should think about. All we have to do is see the target well and our gun/body will take care of the lead without our brain interfering.

Pat Ireland

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

To quote Daro Handy, who holds the record for the longest run for registered handicap targets (over 500 straight), "For handicap shooting, I'll take speed over payload. In handicap, SPEED KILLS.".....Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. hooptied

hooptied TS Member

Skip, do you have empirical evidence, 10 shots or more on a pattern board, that your statement about Green Dot's ability to tighten up the center core is true? I'm not saying that GD is not a great powder. There are just far to many marketing myths that have been tossed around about every powder sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.