1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? Handicap Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cardude, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cardude

Cardude TS Member

Guys here is a question Thats been bothering me ! Here at my club we shoot a turkey match which includeds several killers and other games including a 35 bird race i load my killer shell with 36 bush blue dot- shortred wad 1 1/4 4 or 6 this will smoke the bird if i do my part! but when 35 race starts I always shoot fedreal wallys 3 drams 7 1/2 seems like with not as good of break was wondering if what you all think about this recipe -AA grey hull 12r4 wad 1 1/4 no 6 with a 31 bushing od blue dot Thanks

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Without looking at what the bushings are supposed to throw, if your big load is recommended by Alliant, you will get mediocre results if you download Blue Dot.

Blue Dot is a powder made for heavy and magnum hunting loads.

Use Unique for a Super Pigeon Load (3 1/4 X 1 1/4)

3. Cardude

Cardude TS Member

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

TRY either Unique/Longshot/or PB with a scale...........1 1/4 loads ...anyone of them are GOOD. I happen to prefer PB now ...just because the SHOT is more of a PUSH than a SHOVE as with Longshot. Unique is in between the 2.I've also found that shooting HEAVY loads will MESS with your MIND and cause flinching .
    TRY taking 20 shots at a target from 60 yds (Our shootoff). I you never had a flinch ....you wil. Some of our guys shoot 1 1/2 #4's .....which isn't BAD in the WINTER. BUT......the regulars KEEP winning.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

dkusner- If you measure the difference between your "push and shove", you will find out that it is about 3/10,000 of a second. Check the pressure curves for powders.

Pat Ireland

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Cardude, first let me acknowledge the fact that you can and are shooting that many blue dot loads and still able to shoulder the gun. You have my respect...

You can do alot better in powder selection however. The load shooting coach speaks of would be a good heavy load for your 35 bird race and works well for me to about 45 yards. You may also want to look at a premium new shell such as STS Nitro or Winchester Handicap when buying new. If you really want a killer backer load look at buffering your shot. Powders that I use for buffering are 4756 and 800X. Be darn sure to look for published recepies when buffering as the buffer raises pressure quickly. If buffering isn't for you then 4756 would be my choice of posder for extra long range shooting. I've been the Longshot route and for me 4756 produced tighter loads than I could acheive with longshot.

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

My usual load for that kind of shooting is 28.5 grains of 4756, Win AA12R wad, 1 3/8 of #7 shot, in a Fed paper hull. And that is #7 shot, not 7 1/2. I've also loaded some up to 31 grains of powder, but the difference in recoil is much more pronounced than the difference in performance.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Where do you shoot the 35 bird race from? Wild targets or mild? I've used Rem SC loads with good results on wild clays back to 40 yards or so behind the trap. From there on back, more horsepower via bigger shot for me on those back-up shots. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.