1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Man, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

What is a good green dot and unique load for a 1250 fps shell. Or a good handicap load.

2. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Anything listed in Alliant's on-line guide is tested and safe.

Try Rem STS/Nitro hull, Rem 209P primer, Rem Fig 8 wad, 1 1/8 oz of magnum 7 1/2 shot, 21.5 gr of Green Dot.

Jason

3. gslam

gslam TS Member

Green Dot: 21.8gr should put you right on with any tapered hull and a fig 8 wad with fioochi primer. Having a powder bushing is the trick. Figure 2/10gr. for each 10fps change. in outher words a 22.2gr.would move you up 10fps over a 22gr. load. Powder bushings can be adjusted with nail polish by painting them inside a coat at a time to hit the right amount of powder. Give or take a tenth 22gr should be 1250fps. I use 22.2gr and it gives a steady crono at 1275fps. That is all with 1 1/8oz. loads.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Browning Man-Please check an Alliant Reloading Manual.

Green Dot can produce many excellent handicap loads with different hulls, wads and primers.

Pat Ireland

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Handicap Loads"

A term that has multiple meanings? If a shooter can't handle them, they are a real handicap. Is more felt recoil and more muzzle blast better for scores and confidence because the "magnum mentality" group says so? I don't think so!Most ATA shooters shoot their targets from 16 to 22 yards and would be better off shooting the same load as shot on their singles. IMHO

Our yardage was increased from 25 to the 27 by one mans domination of the sport shooting a 2-2/4 dr load for all events. Read the shooting prowess of Arnold Reigger(sp) on our ATA site for a little historical shooting perspective.

If your gun weighs more than 10 pounds and has a recoil reduction stock, go for it. Hap

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Talking about handicap loads, how far back could 1 oz of 81/2 break targets? Lets say at 1200fps & 1235 Fps.

Lou

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've used 7/8oz of 8.5s back to the 27 with excellent results! Remember, it's the Indian and not the arrow! AndyH ;)

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I currently use on the 27: AA hull, Cheddite primer, WW wad, 1 1/8 oz 7.5's, and 21.5 grains of Green Dot. Pressure is right at 10,500. It will cream targets from the 27, with no noticable delay between the trigger and the puffball of the target. Great patterns at 40 yards.

9. fracdog

fracdog TS Member

10500! WOW

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I like STS(or equivalent), CH209 or WW209, 21.5gr., DR Windjammer, 1 1/8 (7 1/2 or 8).

Buz

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Go to Hodgdon's website and look at their loads using Titegroup.

This is an excellent powder for handicap loads.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

My favorite load for 27 yards is STS hull, 18.4 Red Dot, Spolar Gold wad, 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2s and Fed 209A or Cheddite primer.

Unless I have a Brain Phart, absolutely smokes the bird.

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I'm with P-BigBore on this one. Some of the very best 50yd patterns I've seen were with DownRange Versalite or 12F3 wads pushed with 22g of Unique. Even in the "cheepie" hulls I get great results! HTH AndyH ;)

14. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

32 grs longshot,behind 1-1/4oz #5's(smokin)

15. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

If you are going to talk about that long of shot, I have a great load, 36 grs of blue dot, 1 3/8 of 6's. Great for winner take alls.

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

What I have learned about long range shooting in a field and at the sporting clays range with 3/4 ounces of shot and a 20 gauge is that shot size and choke are the two most important parts of long range shooting. With 7 1/2 shot and a full choke I can easily break 60 yard targets, even with 3/4's of an ounce. Open the choke up and you start to miss, drop down in shot size and you begin to chip targets that don't break. Speed of the shell is not that important. Shot size and choke are.

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

highflyer makes a good point. I introduced a friend, a sporting clays threat at any venue, to 7/8 oz loads in a 12 ga. and suggested he try them for close birds. Instead, his 7/8 oz loads of #8s at +/- 1250 fps became his standard sporting load. He's always got a few mates circling him to determine his secret, especially when they get to try one of the lethal weenies, but he never completely defines his "magic" sporting load to anyone......Bob Dodd

18. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I really don't think it takes a slober-knocker shell to break targets - I shoot ww209 primers in AA hulls, winchester orange wad - 1 1/8 oz (7 1/2 or 8's - no real preference - from an unmodifed MEC charge bar so the actual weight is lighter) and a 18.6 grain charge of green dot - gives me about 1180 fps measured at 4 feet from muzzle of 0.035 chocked barrel - will break a target as hard as any other load from the 27

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

With handicap trap targets it isn't as critical, and with 12 gauge it isn't as critical. You aren't talking 60 yard targets. But a 3/4 ounce 20 gauge load is very telling in long range shooting. I have read that shot size and choke don't matter. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have shot number 8 shot in the light load at 60 yards. Miss, miss, miss. Then put in the 7 1/2 shot. Break, break, break. Same thing with an open choke. Miss, miss, miss. Tighten down, break, break, break. Then you go pick up the unbroken targets from the open chokes and 8 shot. At least half of them are hit but not broken. What you gain in shot count from 7 1/2's to 8's is lost in energy and breaking power at long range. You can break long range targets with an open pattern with luck. But putting enough pellets on the targest to insure a clean break is greatly increased by choking down to the proper choke. A full choke throws a much larger effective pattern at long range than an open choke. You can't beat 7 1/2's and a good tight choke for long range shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green dot handicap loads

is a rem sts 12ga hulls with a versalite wad green dot powder a good handicap load