1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap in the wind

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Been using "light" 1 1/8 oz #8 for handicap (just made 23 yards last weekend), next hncp event after taking the 23 yd punch, light breeze-----shot a 92 so guess I can handle the yardage, then halfway thru the 2nd 100 event the wind came up ahead of a storm moving in, score went plumb to hell! 71, wind was maybe 25 mph and gusty. Got me wondering?? Would there be a noticable advantage to using "heavy" 3 dram loads or "super handicap" or "nitro 27" or something heavier than my ol' "light 8s" in these conditions?

John C. Saubak

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Old Cowboy,

I used to wonder about things like that when I was shooting trap hot and heavy. I then came to the realization that some of the better "windy day" shooters shot fairly flat POI guns. I was convinced that I needed a 90/10 POI or better gun to be competitive in trap.

I have since learned how to shoot guns with a more civilized POI. 70/30 or less will do just fine!

ec90t

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Now that you brought up this subject, let me assure you that shooting in the wind is very much like farting in the wind. You just never know which way its going........UNLESS there's a prevailing wind, which changes everything. In this case you divide the speed of the target by the rational equivalent of the wind direction and subtract 23[the number of targets you will miss].That should goive you a standard deductable medium of 4 [two more targets than you deserve to hit under these conditions. The logical conclusion to this equation is to ask yourself the question...."Why the hell am I shooting in this Goddam wind in the first place ?"

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Remember the old saying. "Wind in your face, pack your case."

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

John...........I too made the 23 1/2 yrd line this year. First thing I noticed (for me anyway) is that the different shell speeds didn't make any difference in my score. If your on your on. The truth be known, I enjoy shooting in the wind. Besides it helps keep my concentration up.

Bill

6. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I never noticed a differnce in anything until I got to 25 yds.

I used to shoot 3dr 7-1/2 for everything when I was a teenager.

Now, I shoot light 8s at 16, light 7-1/2s in the wind at 16; heavy 8s for doubles and being a 27 yd handicap shooter - I do notice I break better scores with the hdcp class loads like Nitro 27s, Federal Paper HDCP and W-W silver bullets - all in 7-1/2. It might be in my mind, but I see better breaks with the handicap stuff.

I shoot my best 16 yd scores with 1-1/8th oz, 2-3/4 dr #8s.

I shoot my best 27 yd scores with 1-1/8th oz, HDCP dr. # 7-1/2s.

Conversely, If I shoot handicap ammo or really fast 1-oz loads like the Fiocchi Sport 1,250 fps 8s from 16 - I get spottier breaks and more lost targets.

So, to me, yes it does make a difference.

7. JJM

JJM Member

I have found that 6's do a wonderful job from 27 in the wind.

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

jjm..........Nauthy, nauthy!

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

fast shooters have an advantage in the wind.

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Keep your head down and shoot fast. Nada mas. Jake

11. Hauser

Hauser Member

John

I shoot with Dick Goerlich and he for the most part shoots reloads. By my count he has 8 100s from the 27 shooting 15.5 grains of 700x and 1 1/8 ounce of 8s. I dont know where this load is on the velocity charts but it's not anywhere close to a "Nitro" loading.

Dont think you need more speed.

Jerry Hauser

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

It ain't the arrow it's the Indian. RG

13. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

Advice from many of the pros who shot a few years ago at the Missouri Fall Handicap with the wind in your face and cold: Shoot fifty and if you break more than 35, shoot the remainder of the event. Many never made it beyond the fifty. Kiner broke 35 and went home, as many of them did. I personally hung in there with a 92 from the 24 yard line. Good enough for 4th place. A lone 95 was high on the last day.

Best advice is to hang in there regardless of the wind. Shoot quick and shoot with what you have confidence in, 7 1/2 - 8's, or whatever. If you are not a quick shooter, learn to shoot quicker. I believe the faster the load the better.

Finally, wind is a great opportunity for short yardage shooters when competing against All-Americans. Hang in there.

14. canada

canada Member

Alright, in a perfectly calm day, when the targets are where they should be, not dancing around at all, a quick shooter may shoot a good score. In the wind, QUICK SHOOTERS ARE NOT AT AN ADVANTAGE.

A very very very small percentage of shooters are quick AND smooth. Nearly all fast shooters are jumpy, allowing them to hit targets when they are where they should be. In a head wind fast shooters will pull the trigger and the target is rising so fast they will shoot under it, and good luck jumping all over a low target in a tail-wind.

Now of course, a slow shooter will struggle too, but slow shooters struggle in singles. There are so few actual slow shooters though, which will give you an idea of my definition of slow.

The difference between fast, and good, is a probably about half a second. Just enough to have that extra look at the target before you pull the trigger. Shooting this way will work in any conditions.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pattern you pet load in all wind variations, cross,head and tail and see how wind effects the entire charge. In very strong cross winds, you might even miss a 4X8 sheet of ply wood. Hap

16. canada

canada Member

not unless you're aiming off the plywood in the first place?

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Shootlow says he likes to shoot handicap while breaking wind.

What the heck does he mean by that???

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to shot handicap in the wind