1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap hold points ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zzt, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Phil, there is nothing wrong with using the same hold point and the same load and choke in your situation. If you hold high, you'll probably find lower hold points work better the further back you go. If you hold low, there is not quite so much benefit to lowering your hold point more.

I used to shoot high gun. I lowered my hold points to somewhere between the middle of the trap house and the front lip. I hold on the front lip for singles and half way down the roof from the 27. It is actually a minuscule angular difference, but it helps me pick up the caps target sooner. Any time I'm having trouble I hold lower yet.

The best advice I ever got was "Try it and see how you like it". Try holding higher or lower and see if it makes a difference for you.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Agree with zzt

The further back I get (now 25) the lower I hold. Now I hold with the top of my bead level with the top of the front edge of the house.

You can successfully shoot your 20 yard handicap just like you shoot your 16's. If it's not working, try lower/higher, like zzt said.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

1 and 5 lower, 2,3,4 level. i allway keep target above my barrel so i don't ever loose sight of it comming out of the house. but that's me

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

zzt gave fine advice. For me, using different hold points at different stations would add confusion.

I like to hold a low gun. I bring my gun up while looking at the house. If my gun naturally comes up a bit high, I do not remount my gun. I shoot the target and then hold my eyes a little lower on the house the next time. I want my gun to come up where I am looking. If it does not, I will not lower my gun to where I want it to be. I change where I look the next time.

I also frequently notice that during a round my hold point seems to gradually go up a little. I have to frequently correct this. When my gun is mounted I am not thinking about hold point. I am just thinking about seeing the target and keeping my cheek on the comb.

When I am not shooting well, I will change my hold point many times. This is much easier to do than making the proper changes I need to make to break the next target.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high gun hold for handicap trap

lower hold point for handicap