1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap..Higher POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dove Commander, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Had a small argument today, so I promised to put it on TS.com

When you shoot handicap, Do you raise your point of impact, or leave at your 16 yd. setting and....what yardage do you shoot? Mike, I'll bet you owe me a beer!

Let r' rip.

2. grammie

grammie TS Member

It all depends of how fast you shoot!!!

Example,,,,Do you ride the targets??? If so,,a higher POI will get you nothing but LOST!!! A 70/30,,80/20 POI will do you well in this case!!!

And reverse??? If you try and shoot real fast,,,,Pull---Bang!! Then you will shoot under the targets with a 70/30 setting!! In that case a higher POI will be needed!!!

Myself??? 27yds...I am a "see it,,shoot it" shooter,,,I hold a high gun at handicap,,and even higher at singles and doubles....I wait till it appears above my gun,,,bang!!

AKA Grammie......

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many very good shooters recommend raising the comb a little for handicap. This will raise the POI. I prefer to hold a lower gun (a foot or so below the top of the house). This increases the speed of my swing and the momentum of the moving gun results in a higher POI. The lower gun mount on handicap also results in shooting the bird faster, at least when I do it.

I do not raise my comb because I am sure I would forget to lower it for singles and doubles. Changing the comb height between singles and handicap requires a shooter with a much better memory than I have.

Pat Ireland

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

One thing for certain, you'll tweak the gun a little till you shoot that big score, then you'll tweak it a little more and eventually you'll play hell trying to get it back to where it was when you shot that big score!!

I think Irish is on to something about K.I.S.S.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You raise the POI inorder to deal with the effects of gravity. HMB

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

HMB, a 3-dram 7 1/2 drops two inches in 34 yards and 3 inches in 40 yards. Should people change their comb of make up for an inch? And in most cases, won't the rise of the shot over that distance cancel it out anyway?

Neil

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil - I appreciate your explanation but I am not certain that the affects of gravity are constant. Sometimes early in the morning when I get out of bed I am convinced that gravity is much more powerful at that time than it is later in the day.

Pat Ireland

8. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

Hey I like the gravity comment and getting out of bed. Gravity seems to be getting stronger over the years. If it gets much stronger I won't be able to move in the next couple of years.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Good points by all so far. Shot drop at 40 yards, and the tendancy to "float the target" may requires this? If you float the target, what is the "gap" of the float at 32 yds (ave. 16yd break point) and what is the "gap" at 40 yds? Is that gap at 40 yds proportionally much greater? Visually greater? 4-6" at the 40 yds? More? I find I have to add a shim and lower my rib (K-80) some at 27yds because I visually float the bird more. The target is smaller and my bead appears bigger. The "gap" grows, and is difficult to maintain.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

This cannot be based on one theory as what works for one may not another!

Leo, Bony, Kay all do it different in POI setup. grammie is not that far off with his comments in my view.

At the 27, things that are important are "target recognition", "gun placement" (ie hold point), "gun fit", "your ability to stay in the gun till shot is delivered", then worry about POI. Most non proficient 27 yd shooters have poor "most_of_the_above".

The 1145 fps/1200 fps/1250 fps makes little difference for most!

Pat Ireland, try staying in bed longer and in relation to your problem, hopefully this will reduce the effects :-}

Now will all the above said, I'm nobody and without any abilities and the only thing I would put "stock_in" would be the comment related to "Pat".

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Gravity is least about late morning/early afternoon, gets stronger again in late evening--------so I go back to bed. Must be something about the comparative effect of gravitational influence of the Sun vs the Moon?

John C. Saubak

12. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

There are lots of factors involved in the answer, and personal preference plays a big part. There are certain fundamentals that apply, but different shooters see the targets differently and react differently than others. Psycho-motor skills are different from shooter to shooter. I’ve known this for a long time, but Neil’s recent comparison of Trapshooting to the penguin game made it all very clear for me.

With that said… I’ve always stuck with the attitude,

DON’T CHANGE NOTHIN’!

Change is bad…

But I do know there are great shooters out there advocating raising the comb when moving from the 16 to long yardage. They do it and it obviously works great for them. (400X400XTWO! – amazing). But just know that they have shot so much and are so familiar with what it takes to hit any target, that this works very well for them. These are guys who can pick up anyone’s gun, and with a practice shot or two can run straights with it. My only point is that moving the comb around may not be for the average A or even AA shooter whose made their way back to long yardage.

With that said, I personally shoot quite fast and prefer a high shooting gun. The very bottom of the pattern is a couple inches above the aiming point. Why? Because I like it that way. When I step up to the 16 yard line the hard angles take some discipline to stay under, but again, I like it that way. cls

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Chuck, I feel the reason PK does that is to have the same "look" vertically at the bird and bead relationship from both yardages. At least that's what I see shooting 9 inches high at 16s and 15 inches at 27. Works for some I guess. Shooters riding a bird to peak can do just fine with 60/40-70/30 etc.

Raising the comb for longer distance shooting takes less birds shot to get the hang of hitting birds too. Setting the POI and hammering away does take a lot of shooting to master the differences in my opinion. Hap

14. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Understood Hap... But another concern that I have with raising and lower the comb for different yardages is the fact that the comb is usually tapered from bottom to top. Which to me means that when you lower it, you are also increasing the cast off, however slight. I guess there is the assumption that your face simply moves up and down right along with it keeping the cast constant. Meaning your neck is just bent slightly more or less. I don't believe precise gun fitting works that way.

But really the biggest reason I never tried it is because I've always used a PFS. And they're really not designed to make this type of frequent change. cls

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Neil,

I did not realize that the rise of shot can cancel the effects of gravity. Is that one of Winston's Laws of Physics. HMB

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Shot doesn't rise, it begins falling and spreading the instant it clears the barrel. Hap

17. Neil Winston

Hmb, Hap - well Hap I expected better of you. HMB just doesn't know better. I suggest both of you reconsider your posts.

HMB, You did. When I wrote:

"HMB, a 3-dram 7 1/2 drops two inches in 34 yards and 3 inches in 40 yards. Should people change their comb of make up for an inch? And in most cases, won't the rise of the shot over that distance cancel it out anyway?

Neil"

I was not just arguing against your ridiculous idea that you raise the comb to account for shot fall, but pointing out that since most trap guns shoot at least a little high, the shot is higher at 40 yards than it is at 34 yards, or at least no lower at all. aat will supply the numbers.

Hap, point the gun straight up and tell me it roesn't rise.

Neil

18. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i believe grimmie is correct. i tend to be a quick shooter. my scores improved everytime i raise my poi. i will keep it high this season. about 100% high

19. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Neil,

Are you saying the comb does not need to be raised for 27 yard shooting??

20. Neil Winston

I'm saying nothing of the kind, Paladin. If people raise the comb it's to account for time, not gravity, that all.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hight poi for handicap trapguns

poi differences 16 yd and handicap

should you change your poi for the 27 yard line

why a higher poi for shooting handicap