1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap help...any advice!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by books, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. books

books TS Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Bought a new to me Ljutic and shooting great singles with it, high 90's but shooting terrible handicap from the 20 yard line, low to mid 80's. What am I doing wrong? What should I be changing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Todd
  2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Its kind of hard for anyone to tell you what you're doing wrong without them seeing you shoot.

But if you really want an answer, you're missing targets. Quit doing that and your scores will improve.
  3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Glendora, CA
    Make sure the gun fits.

Pattern it to make sure the shot is going where you think it is.

Keep your head down. Let the score keeper watch the bird break.

Don't be in a hurry but don't wait forever either. Try to break the shot when the bird is still rising.

Experiment with your starting hold points. I hold much lower than most or so I'm told but break them just fine none the less. If I hold above the house, my scores drop like a rock.
  4. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

Mar 29, 2011
    After reading your post and the one where the gentleman was having trouble at 22 yards--made me think back to a similar problem I had.

Back in 1970-ish I used to shoot (without knowing what to call it) with a swing-through lead at 16 yards. Worked ok for a weekend league guy. BTW, still works great on light guns that don't "track" very well. I still use swing through with my wife's 28 ga cynergy.

My BT-99 tracks just fine--problem I found was I didn't have to back up very far for handicap targets till the swing through leads weren't right anymore & I missed about half of them.

Had to switch to a visible, sustained lead at 16 yds. to have it work from anything past 18 or so. I don't shoot much from handicap distances any more but it used to work.

I don't want to ruin your 16 yd shooting by thinking about it, but this helped me.

I think I got the idea from one of James Russell's Trapshooting books, but I lost my copy so I can't give you a reference to look up.

Wray Paul
  5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Apr 28, 2006
    NW Wisconsin
    You are shooting under or behind the target. Dedicate your practice sessions to handicap alone and you will be good at it. and shoot a tighter choke so yo can see which way the pieces go as a rule. That tells you where you are shooting often.
  6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The age-old advice as follows:

Stand on post 3, lock the trap on straighaways, see where you have to shoot to break the target, and in order to make this a cheaper experience, benchrest your new Ljutic on paper at 13 yards (40 feet is fine) before you go to the trap. I wouldn't be surprised if your new piece isn't set at about 90% high and you have changed from a flat shooting 1100, 870, BT99, or many of the P-guns. You may be surprised at what you see on the paper.

Cheers and good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.