1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Event in Trap Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Why was the Handicap Event started in Trapshooting? What is its purpose or intent? Clyde

2. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

If you are a real oldtimer you know that it was to equalize competition.

How is that working for you?
    I will be your first fish!

ed.

3. turbobike

turbobike Member

To make it more interesting, the farther you move back the less shot to get to use..ie 20-23 1 1/8 ounce, 24-25 1oz, 26-27 7/8 27AAA 3/4ounce....lol

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Why is our handicap system not working? Is it a factor why fewer shooters are playing the money purses?

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

It was created to give 80% of the members here something to argue about.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

who says it isn't working

9. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

Real men shoot handicap targets instead of shooting those sissy-ass 16 yd targets

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There's been handicap since live bird shooting for sport started in Britain. The handicap system works just fine. It would work much better if registered shooters would take their yardage reductions and shoot from where they are competitive instead of kidding themselves that they can at longer yardages.

If you let the handicap system work you will "bounce" to and fro near the yardage where you are competitive. It's not just the money or the economy. It'll work if you let it and some of the money will come back into the game.

I'm not an advocate of mandatory yardage reductions but hate to hear all the bluster about the handicap system not working when thousands of shooters' wont let it.

11. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Why 18,19,20,21-22,23-24,25-26,27?why not 18,19-20,21 ect?might get more shooters.even pi** poor shooters like to shoot hdc's.before someone says get better there are some of us shooters out there that are as good as we are ever going to get.age,eyes,physical problems,ect.just a thought.

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Rich 219 said. Need another cricket, fish got that one.

13. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 Member

The handicap sysyem worked quite well at the Empire Grand. 96 was the high score for the entire shoot. Jr

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jr. just curious how many handicap events at the Empire Grand were won by short yardage shooters???? Are you sure it works quite well?

Bob Lawless

15. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

But isn't the 27yrd line everyones goal? I would love to have a 27yrd pin for my shooting bag that I earned. 25yrds is as far back as I could achive so far.
    Took a 1 yrd reduction last year in may. Haven't shot worth a $h!t at the
    24 yrd line eigther. a couple of low scores in the 90's thats about it.
    I would think a reduction will be coming soon with those scores. My 1000 target review should be soon if not already.

Jason in PA

16. bas

bas Member

Barry...right on, brother...!

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you earned it, the rules allow you to keep it. Only our righteous brethren shall tell you to shoot the next 7000 targets to return to the 20 yard line. Telling shooters they have to move forward if they can no longer shoot winning scores gets a lot of guys out of shooting. How many of you are winning from the 27? If we told all these non winners they have to accept a reduction, many will stay home. I shot about 20 hcp events last year and the common score of the shooters was 80s. We had 1 90 on our long yardage squad Sunday. the rest 80s. Tell those guys they have to move up and they will not show up next time. The system of moving up to to find your non competitive level is just a tired routine. Quit being so righteous if you are sitting at a keyboard.

The true test of a handicap shooter is to practice to get better and then test his/her level on weekends. If you are not out shooting hcp practice and then testing your skill level on weekends you are just a yapper. So leave the guys alone that are actually trying to improve.

18. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 Member

Good point Bob L. They just got lucky. Jr

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jr to that statement I say BS.

Bob Lawless

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

User.

87-01936

Put yours up