1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap driving me crazy!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Sep 4, 2013.

1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

My league shoots at 16 then 22 each week. Struggled all season with handicap. Tonight shot 25@16 and 19@22. No chips. The birds were all dust at 16. I sometimes find myself letting a little pressure off the comb. Other than this I have no ideas why I struggled this year at caps. Raise the comb slightly to help with caps? Any other ideas?

David

2. Crunch

Crunch Member

What ammo are you using?

3. James344

James344 Active Member

Somebody once told my 15 yr old to shoot everything from 16 to 23 the same. Don't change the lead or anything. When he started doing that, his caps scores clibed a bunch. His best score is a 97, which he did at 20 yds.

It seems to work for him.

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Letting a little pressure off the comb? Why? You're most likely shooting over the targets you miss. Letting pressure off the comb = raising your head. Mount the gun the same for handicap as you do for singles.

Steve

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Try using a different hold point - vertically. Personally, I'd try lower, others will likely suggest higher.

Also, until you get your mount consistent, you'll be chasing your tail. Try picking up your trigger elbow a little to make a better shoulder "pocket" for your gun.

Good luck.

Bob Falfa

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Experiment with where you are starting the gun. Usually starting the gun lower will help with what you are describing. 22 yards is not a huge difference from the 16 but since you are having trouble that suggests you are probably reacting to the target differently than you do on the 16. Call it trying too hard or talking yourself into a loss whatever but it usually takes the form of bead checking as opposed to focus on the target.

Starting the gun a bit lower will do a couple of things, one it gives you a better look at the target and that might help you keep your eyes where they should be and the second thing is it will get the poi up a bit high which may be the real issue for you.

Stay positive because the time will come when you are back on the 27 just wishing you could stand on the 22 again;)

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Xanax......

Better Living Through Chemistry....

Happy...happy...happy

8. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Are you missing what appears ot be straight-a-ways?

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Handicap trap is a very difficult game. The further back you go, the more difficult it becomes. It takes a lot of practice, and therefore usually a lot of time to gain some proficiency.

If you want to improve, continue to try different things (some were suggested in this thread) and continue to work at it.

It's a journey with no shortcuts.

bluedsteel

10. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

DaveXT

My 2 cents is that if you are shooting 25 at the 16 yds. You have the skill to shoot handicaps at 22yds. There is really not very much difference in shooting from the 16 and the 22. If you can run them at the 16, shoot them the same way at the 22. don't change how you shoot including your set up, timing or anything else. The difference is just in your head! Just relax, see the bird, let the shot develop and break it.

John

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

David, Its already been said!!! Don't change leads or a thing!!! Keep your head tight in gun and don't come out of the gun and lower it until you finish your follow though. Pratice shooting at the handicap yardage and forget the 16 until you get your "confidence" up to same level as 16. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff