1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Classification ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

A shooter enters a 6 day state shoot and is correctly assigned to the 24 yard line. After shooting unimpressive scores for 3 days, he receives a reduction in the mail. Can he then be reclassified to the 23 yard line for the remainder of the shoot?

Pat Ireland

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Where is this shoot taking place? Must be nice if the guy is local and can go home to get his mail to receive a reduction to the 23 yard line when just 3 days before he was "CORRECTLY" assigned.

BTW ... we all know the real answer is it is up to the interpretation of the classifier and that there aint no set rule at all about it unless of course there is a set rule and then that rule could be interpreted to justify anything they want to do so in all reality ... I wonder what I should have for lunch is a far more important question to be asking.

3. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

I see where it address increases in yardage but not reductions. Would it change his yardage group? And if so how would that effect his HOA?

What is the correct answer Pat?

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

He would have to of shot alot of low scores weeks before the ( big shoot )as the ATA is about four months behind at all times but the answer is yes he would get a reduction .

KEYBEAR

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Personally I think the bait is in the water ....

Pat where is this shoot? Who is the shooter? Come on now ... WE NEED DETAILS!!!

What kind of gun is he shooting? Is he shooting 7-1/2 or 8 shot? Come on now ... WE NEED DETAILS!!!

Does he shoot lefty or righty? Does he ... he ... come on now WE WANT THE FULL STORY!!!

Like I said I think Pat has thrown the bait upon the water ...

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Known Ability and wins or ties have no bearing on Handicap yardage unless a punch was awarded. In Canada it usually takes 10 days to send or receive a letter from the U.S.. Shoot Reports are delivered by snail mail as well. I often have 1800 Handicap targets on my card before I receive notice of a 1000 target review. I think the reduction should be honored provided the shooter can produce the new card to the classification committee but not if he is out of town and his wife says the reduction came in the mail.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

We do it all the time in Minnesota, Pat. We figure it this way. A shooter shows up on Tuesday and enters our shoot, intending to support the the MTA with his attendance and $. He's not home to pick up his mail with the reduction. Another shooter stays home all week, gets his mail, and comes to shoot Sunday's handicap a yard closer. Why would we want to punish the guy who supported us and reward only the guy who didn't (as much)?

Neil

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Neil ... why not just have a solid set rule in the rule book to cover the situation or would that somehow possibly not let you reward those who you are or those you wish to reward for whatever reasons? It sounds like the way you do it Neil is reward those you wish to reward and penalize those you might have a little problem with ... sad that a solid set rule in the ATA Bible does not cover a situation like this.

9. Neil Winston

How I miss Gargoyle!

Neil

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

You never know how blessed you are with the current idiot until a new idiot comes along!

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Why would the shooter not shoot the NEXT day ( new program ) at his new yardage or does it have a later starting date

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well if he knows about the reduction and knowingly shoots at the old yardage isnt he actually refusing the reduction or do you have to actually respond to the letter to do so.

and if he accepts the reduction and shoots the old yardage he is violating the yardage rule, right?

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Neil ... Patrick ... what does the rulebook say to do in this situation???

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

If he got punched during the first three days, they would move him back.... no reason not to move up when he rec'd the reduction....otherwise he is now knowingly shooting at the incorrect yardage

15. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

If he had signed up for all events for all 6 days and paid the total fees when he was classed a 24, One could say he has entered all events at 24 yards. If he had only signed up for the single days events and only paid for those events, the day he receceived the reduction he could then be classed at 23 as he is officially at 23, IF he had not earned any yardage in the previous events. A similiar situation happened to me in Feb. as I didn't have enough qualifing targets. I had to shoot the first day, preliminary not part of HOA, at penalty yardage. Once I established my handicap, I then signed up for the rest of the program.

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

From the Rule Book:

1. A shooter must continue to shoot from the last yardage assigned or
    earned until he/she receives a target review regardless of the length of
    time that has elapsed since that yardage was assigned or earned.

2. A shooter’s handicap yardage may be reduced only as a result of
    a 1000 target review or a special review. No reduction may be made
    in the field. The shooter’s new Average Card will be noted with the
    word “review”.

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Lumper:

I'm not Neil or Patrick, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night; but here is your answer:

The rulebook says he shoots from his assigned yardage. This would be the shorter yardage after the reduction is received, if he chooses to take the reduction; of course subject to the rules about punches etc. received after the reduction is issued.

There is no need to specifically mention this situation in a rule.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

I would think that if you registered for an event at a certain yardage then that is the yardage you will shoot for the event no matter what happens ... unless of course you wish to quit the first registration then re-register for the last day at the corrected yardage but then wouldnt that hurt your average when you dont register all the birds in the shoot?

Man this is a really tough question to answer ... sure wish there was a set answer to it other than ... well ... what is the freakin answer?

19. Neil Winston

Lumper, you wrote:

"I would think that if you registered for an event at a certain yardage then that is the yardage you will shoot for the event no matter what happens ... unless of course you wish to quit the first registration then re-register for the last day at the corrected yardage but then wouldnt that hurt your average when you dont register all the birds in the shoot?"

Understand that what you "would think" is not necessarily right - but would be right if it were in the rulebook - I'm still scratching my head about your reference to an average being "hurt." Could you expand a bit on what you "would think" the effect would be?

Neil

20. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Lumper:

Sorry, but what you just posted makes no sense for Caps. Yes, when you walk up and enter an event as you said above, you do shoot that event at your assigned yardage applied when you were classified. But, that yardage does not necessarily apply to other events at that shoot, as everyone is aware. Your yardage for another 100 can change even when shot the same day.

Again, you do not "register" at a yardage, or at least noone besides you does. You always shoot each event, even events within the same shoot, at whatever your applicable yardage is at the time you start that event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.