1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap Adjustments

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charles L. Schmidt, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

My position on the topic is that it should be set up properly to shoot Handicap. Then wihtout changing anything you learn to shoot it at Singles (& Doubles if you use the same gun, I have not). cls

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What Chuck said. It does take more targets to learn shooting the singles that way though. The bird and bead relationship is different at 16s when using the higher POI handicap setting. My POI for singles is 9 inches high at 30 yards, 15 inches high at 27. When set like that for my shooting, the bird and bead relationships for both yardages are identical, vertical wise. Hap

3. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

If you smoke birds at handicap one way, lower your comb and smoke birds off the 16 at that setting, why not change it? DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...forget what everybody else thinks. You must have confidence in what you are doing and that it is the right thing for you. It makes no difference to your scores what anyone else does or thinks. There is no place on the score sheet for "how", no penalty for doing something different from everyone else (as long as it's within the rules), and no extra prize money for conforming. Break the snot out of them with whatever works for you and have confidence in the fact that you have found your own secret formula...(my nickel's worth).

4. lancelot

lancelot Member

Jim -

I fought doing this for years, and years. I was determined not to change the comb for an event. This was even after Leo told a friend of mine in a clinic to add a washer for handicap. Frank Hoppe told me in a clinic that an adjustment should be made for handicap. He said it could be done with the comb, the rib, or maybe a change in shells. In Phil Kiner's tape he states he adds washers for handicap.

I finally got it through my hard head that I wouldn't die if I gave it a try. It's a little early for a definate opinion, but indications are that it might be a good solution for me.

Best regards & good shooting, Ron Ireland

5. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

otnot
    Are you sure you want to stick with your story on adusting your comb 1/16 of an inch changed you from shooting the skirt to centering the target at handicap distance?? Not possible!!!

6. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

Unlike some of us trap shooters, Phil Kiner has his head on a straight as anybody in the sport. Adding washers works for him, so he does it. No matter what anyone else thinks. Try it, if you like. Ditch it if it doesn't work out. Go for it man, it won't hurt anybody!!!

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Otnot - you sound like an ideal candidate for gunfitting. Gun fit means that you pick up your gun and you do not have to force anything. Your face fits on the comb and allows a straight view down the center of the rib. Every time. Gun fit means that your shooting pose is the same, shot after shot, post after post. Consistancy problems are caused by poor gun fit or incorrect shooting pose, or both. Honestly, a 10% change on your pattern height has no meaning when breaking targets.

8. BMC

BMC Member

I've been struggling with 94s and 95s in caps using the same gun I use for singles. I set my comb up (over time) based on singles performance. Today at a shoot I felt daring and decided to add another washer to my comb to see what would happen. Ended up winning handicap with a 98, and it felt soooo much easier for some reason. Probably just one of those lucky days though. For the record I have tried it with the same additional washer from the 16 and it definitely raised my POI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.