1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handicap 20yd line vs. 23yd line?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm debating whether to shoot targets only @ the Westy Hogans shoot and shoot from the 20yd line or shoot the penalty yardage and shoot from the 23. Is any there difference in lead or anything else in this change in yardage?

2. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I personally have a problem with all the penalty yardage I see at shoots

In a day and age when we need shooters, why run them off OR try to discourage them.

The 23 is different from the 20 for most shooters and if you will send me your phone via PM I will talk to you about some things to think about.

Shoot from the 20 and if you get hot and shoot a good score you would only get punched to the 21, get lucky from the 23 (unlikely) and you are now going to have to learn to shoot handicap from the 24 (not a good idea). pk

3. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

I'm having a terrible time from the 23 yrd line. I only shoot 1 or 2 times to get 1/2 punches from the 20, 21, & 22. The 23 is driving me nuts, and avg 89%. Maybe this new gun will get me past it. Thanks David

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

23 yards? Journeys once put me near a large trapshoot, so I thought I'd stop in and try your handicap. They said I had to shoot on the 25.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

RICH219- How many targets do you have registered?

Gary Bryant

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The shooter who started me shooting said you shoot each yardage the same.

If you swing past the target then squeeze the trigger, keep the gun moving, watch your breaks, keep your head down the results will speak for themselves.

Problem is can you do it 100 times. Not as easy as it sounds.

Regards....Gerald

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Rich,

How many hcp targets do you have registered this year plus last year?

For the Westy you need 1000 combined... does your post imply you aren't close?

Nonetheless, do what Phil suggests.

Guy Babin

8. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I will agree with Phil on this one. I have seen several times a new shooter comes to the shoot only to be penalized and moved back, and all day long he compains about and rightfully so, and then you never see them at another shoot. Not only do them move them back, they make them shoot in a higher class in singles than they belong in.

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I only have 200 registered caps, I just started shooting ATA this year. I've only shot 225 caps ever though.

The 20 it is then.

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

No trubs come on out and enjoy... the Westy targets count for next year giving you a head start on minimums.

It shouldn't be too hard to get 600 or so registered before the weather goes "north".

Guy

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm shooing all events all days so I will walk away with 600 targets on next years card, add to this a local ATA shoot on Sept. 26 and on Oct. 10 and I should have 1,200 targets toward next year before the cold sets in.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

KEVIN56- I agree that the minimum required targets can be a problem for many new shooters. I also know many excellent game and meat shooters who shoot a lot but no registered shoots. These shooters are very competitive from the 27 and shoot for quite a bit of money from that yardage. It would also not be fair to let these "new" shooters with no ATA targets shoot form the 20 yard line.

There are two aspects to good classification. One is being accurate and fair to the individual who is being classified. The other is being fair to the other shooters.

Pat Ireland

13. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Pat,

I will agree there are some pretty darn good meat shooters out there and if clubs know them, they they can use the know ability rule. Its the new league shooters and beginngers that are interested in joining the ATA or trying their luck at a registered shoot, and then the clubs make them shoot in a class or yardage that isnt right for them, and all that does is discourage them. If the go to their first shoot and shoot well and win somehthing, chances are they will come back, if you put them against the better shooters and they dont stand a chance, what kind of encouragment is that? There will be some that fall through the cracks, like the meat shooters that come to win everything, but most clubs know who they are. I may be wrong, but isnt it up to the individual club to determine penalaty yardage and class? I know the bigger shoots like state shoots, etc. they have to follow ATA rules, but cant just small club shoots govern them selves, pleas correct me if I am wrong.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A required number of targets shows the clssification guys your ability, or lack thereof.

If no prior targets were required the sandbaggers would come ouit of the woodwork and all want to be in D.

HM

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rich, We all had to go through the same thing when we started as well. Once you get 500 targets or so most of this penalty stuff goes away for the most part. I too agree to just shoot targets only until you get the min. number at that yardage and move forward from there. On the plus side this will give you some time to look at scores, the betting, and the other in's and outs of the shoot so that you will know how handle things when you start to really go at it. You will also be more relaxed and settled down. So its kind of a good thing. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

KEVIN56- I agree with your position and would add that, to my knowledge, smaller clubs do not utilize penalty classifications. When I classify a new adult shooter at a smaller shoot, his handicap yardage is determined by the ATA rules (20 yards) and I ask him what scores he typically shoots at practice. Together, we arrive at a fair classification. Most frequently he does not shoot doubles so I will stick him in the same class I put him in for singles.

Pat Ireland

17. laura!

laura! Member

At some venues, and unfortunately, Elysburg is one of them, it is very clear the management is not interested in attracting new shooters. My son is in his 4th year of shooting. Last year, due to a move and my cancer, we did not shoot many targets (registered or otherwise). My son went to 2 of the preliminary days at the PA state shoot and by the end of the 2nd day had enough handicap targets in to remove the "targets only" status he had elected to do. According to the shoot management, the last 100 targets would have had to have been shot the previous day in order for him to be able to compete in handicap for the rest of the state shoot. They could not see how illogical this was; that if he had shot those targets elsewhere, and then come to the shoot (even on the very last day) they would have had to classify him differently. Even though they deal with classification and yardage changes EVERY DAY during the shoot, they refused to change his. Apparently, they only want to classify up or further back. After refusing to change his status, they asked us to "come on back tomorrow". We left.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If the ATA wanted to do just ONE thing to promote the sport and encourage new shooters to keep coming back it would be to BAN penalty ydge & classification, IMO.

John C. Saubak

Peerless, MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.