1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handguns cc--What are the best for consideration??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dt-em, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dt-em

dt-em Member

Here to listen to your opinions. Buying a handgun for cc that is not dependable or accurate,and buying one just because it is cheap does not make sense. So my question is what are the best for accuracy, dependability, safety of the smaller size pistols. Mainly considering small size automatics as I have a berretta 92. Also have 9mm ammo now but any calibur is ok as long as meets above requirements. Again want smallest size of the best. price ---try and keep around 1500 and under.
    Thanks,
    Harold

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I just got a Springfield Arms XDS in 45 acp, 1 rd in the chamber & 5 in the magazine. grip & trigger safeties. Very accurate, with a very good trigger. Great carry gun, I live in Fl & its very comfy in shorts pockets.

Phil Berkowitz

3. dt-em

dt-em Member

Eddie I appreciate what you wrote and I agree practice is critical-----BUT I do not want to adjust my shooting to a gun that is inherently inaccurate. I want every edge I can get and as I shoot competitive trap I understand the getting married to your firearm thru practice.

Harold J

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd look at any of the Kahr, or Kel-tec brand handguns for small, easily carried, potent calibers.

also, the ruger LCP....

dependability? any of the J-frame smith and wesson revolvers...

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Forget the auto's and get a Smith J frame .38 with alloy frame.
    It's the one gun you'll carry every day. Forget the bulky auto's
    that may or not be reliable.

6. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

Take a look at the Beretta Nano...Go to www.youtube.com type in Beretta Nano. There are several reviews on this gun that demonstrate its effectiveness and accuracy as well as an easy to conceal carry....The S & W airweight is another revolver alternitive. The Nano is a 9MM six shot auto and the S & W is a 38 special 5 shot revolver...good luck...Ron

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have a S&W 642 with a Crimson TRace, The trigger is an abomination, my new XDS puts it to shame--I' currently pulling the trigger with snap caps, to get it to smooth out.

Phil Berkowitz

8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I second the nomination for a Kahr. I have one in 9mm DAO. Seven in the magazine + 1. The weapon also comes in 40 S&W and 45ACP. The 40 and 45 are 6 + 1 DAO and the same physical size as the 9mm. Trigger pull is long but very smooth and does not pull you off the target. I can only speak to the 9mm about accuracy which is excellent. 200 consecutive rds. without mal-function is recommended before it's considered a reliable carry. Mine passed the first time.
    [​IMG]
    Kahr CW9

$350 @ Cabela's for each.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, back in the day....

.442 Belgium copy of Webley "

British Bulldog"
    [​IMG]

10. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

I would avoid J-Frame S/W's as well. I own a 642, and put crimson trace grips on it because the iron sights are basically useless. I shoot thousands of rounds of pistol per year, and have the most difficulty managing the 642 due to its recoil. My friend reminds me that it's a "get the f**k off of me gun" - not intended to be effective beyond a few yards. I think he's right. Also, 642's have TERRIBLE triggers - very long, very hard trigger pull - which further affects accuracy. And trigger modifications should only be left to a professional.

Personally, I carry 1911's. But I DO NOT recommend those for concealed carry for most people. (I'm the rare 1911 lover who actually admits that 1911's have inherent reliability problems. And besides, the ammo capacity is limiting.)

My recommendation? Go Glock. I've never had one fail or malfunction. Find one that suits you and practice a lot with it. 9mm is a good caliber as well.

If you like .45's, I've spend a lot of time behind my Glock 30 (.45 cal), and it's surprisingly easy for me to shoot well, despite its compact size.

My friend is a fanatic about the "P" series Sig Sauer pistols. They're also worth a look.

Finally, if you have a local range that lets you rent or borrow guns, take them up on it. You'll quickly find out what works for you, and you'll become a biased fanatic like the rest of us!

jh

11. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

johnhefley,

1911's DO NOT have inherent reliability problems, as long you don't buy a piece of shit, and you use decent mags. Buy a KImber and use Wilson mags, and you will get a cramp in your hand before that gun malfunctions.

dt-em,

If you are a wheel gun fan, buy a Ruger LCR. The trigger is unbelievable and the accuracy is outstanding. It weighs about as much as a cellphone.Only thing is use some QUALITY 110gr. ammo. Hornady Critical Defense is grat ammo, and available in 110gr.The recoil in that little gun is pretty significant with 158 gr. bullets.

12. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

Like I said, I'm the rare 1911 lover who actually admits they have reliability problems. I own several of them, and I wouldn't call any of them (Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory) "a piece of shit". And I HAVE replaced my mags, but with Chip McCormick mags.

I'm not interested in debating this point, and like I said, I conceal carry 1911's. But I'm also quite proficient in malfunction clearing should a malfunction occur at the worst possible moment.

I certainly won't bash Kimbers, either. They're fine guns as far as 1911's go. But I've read LOTS of complaints of Kimber owners about their 1911's and Kimber's poor customer service (again, I'm not bashing).

I suppose if one wanted a 1911 as reliable as a Glock, one should plan to buy a Wilson Combat or Les Baer - both well above the price point of the original author, or the Kimber for that matter.
    jh

13. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

My vote is for a GLOCK.

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

M&P45C if you can find one,

or,

M&P357C (if you can find one).

15. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

John,

You would be welcome to shoot either of my Kimbers at the IPSC match of your choice. One has about 500,000 miles on it, the other bout 100,000. No jams. Kimbers are full of McCormic parts. The mags are decent, but not Wilson quality.

I meant miles in the abstract, not actual rounds fired.

As far as the guns you listed, I would agree none are pieces of shit. Springfield, however, is notorious for heavy recoil springs to mask other issues that cause jams. These problems are easily fixed, but have to be dealt with.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Buy a Kimber and you won't have any problems! Tell that to the Marines!
    They had so many problems with their Kimbers that there going to
    buy Colts.

17. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You should carry the best one that you can afford to practice with and be proficent with and NOT leave at home because of size or any of the other reasons. Personally, I carry a Colt Commander with 8 round mags and I do carry one spare mag. More are in each car I own too, just in case. John

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Kahr CW9, in 9mm. They are VERY reliable, Very accurate, Very well made (Here in the good old USA), Very fairly priced, and, for me, just the right size. The trigger is the only knock I had about this gun. I didn't care for the long, stiff pull back to the trigger and the 7lb trigger pull, while very crisp, was just too much for my style of shooting.... I just couldn't take it. I knew what it needed so I looked around to try to find a gunsmith that would work on the trigger for me to get what I wanted, but to no avail. Seems most smiths don't really care to change, or modify, the action and trigger on this gun (probably due to liability?) So, I took on the job myself. I just completed a complete trigger and action job on this little gun, and I've got to tell you, the difference it made is amazing. Now, the pull back to the trigger is silky smooth and has been reduced down to 5#. Once it gets to the trigger, the trigger crisply lets off right at 41/2#. This has made the gun, in my mind, perfect. Easy to conceal, and very shooter friendly should I need it. Don't be mislead regarding the price of this gun. It's as well made as many of the higher dollar guns, and I would put its reliability up against any of the off the shelf autos in this class. You can surely spend more, but, dollar for dollar, this one gets my vote...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The best handgun you can get for concealed carry and self defense is the one that works best for you. One that fits you, that you can shoot with reasonable accuracy, that you can (and will practice with) and that you can (and will) carry regularly, considering your mode of dress and lifestyle. It does not matter what works for me, or works for someone else. You need to look at all the factors that apply to you. Able or willing to train to clear jams(tap and rack) or do you prefer the simplicity of simply pulling the trigger again (revolver). What is your regular mode of dress-coat and tie, cargo shorts, something in between. That 17 round Glock is a marvelous handgun, but pretty hard to conceal under a t-shirt and shorts. Also weight. How much are you willing to carry for hours on end, all day? Again, that Glock may be great, just a a full size 1911 might be, but they are heavy, and perhaps bulky. A great defensive pistol that sits at home because it is too big or heavy after a while is of no use what so ever when the SHTF.

Just about every pistol sold these days for self defense is going to be accurate enough for the job. The average combat distance is 3-7 yards. You don't need something accurate enough to compete in IPSC. Just something you can reliably hit center of mass with at combat distance. With multiple shots if necessary.

Best thing you can do is sit down and make yourself a list of requirements. Such as "can I, or will I, be willing able to carry a 35 ounce pistol all day"
    What size gun is practical for me considering how I normally/usually dress. If, for instance you dress such that you can wear/conceal an OWB holster, then you can probably carry a larger pistol comfortably. But if you must carry IWB, then a large pistol will likely be uncomfortable after a short time. List out all your needs, wants, abilities, and so forth and then see what types/sizes of handguns best fit those.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The Ruger LCR has a very long trigger pull, but I doubt you'll notice it in the heat of the action.

If you have to fire from your pocket, which often happens, a hammerless LCR is better than an auto or hammered revolver. They'll grab cloth and jam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.