1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handgun Recommendation for my Wife

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

My wife is looking to buy her first handgun-she is not timid or weak-what would you recommend.She would like something easy to carry in her handbag.What manufactured--Sig-Glock-S&W??What caliber is sufficient??Thanks for your help and info,Dennis.I know shotguns but nothing about hand guns.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

See if you can find an indoor range where she can test drive several possibilities before deciding. Extreme basics include - Revolvers are near bullet proof and are faster to learn and maintain skills than the autos. Auto loaders will generally have more capacity. For a good many years the .357 magnum has carried the crown for the caliber to most likely produce a "one shot stop" on bad guys but the .38 special, which can be shot in the .357 revolvers, served the cop on the street for a good many years and can be down sized for easy concealed carry. Any auto loader should be tested with ammo to see if it always works in that gun. Test drive till one stands out.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Oh, BTW, my wife, pre arthritic hands, could match me all day long with a 5 shot, 3" heavy barrel, .38 special Smith & Wesson while I shot the "far better" guns...Bob Dodd

4. melie

melie Guest

I just bought a PF-9 from Kel-Tec.
    I wanted a small,concealable gun for my daily walk in the woods with my dog.
    It is very flat and fits comfortably in a pocket. I think 9mm is sufficient
    to solve most problems.
    It's not fancy but, for $250.00 it will do.
    Just my 2 cents.

take care,
    Mark

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be a revolver, if she needs to use a handgun you want to have one that is going to work. Auto loaders have a tendency to jam and can some times take a lot of hand strength in order to work the slid to chamber a round. Revolver double action just pull the triger; .38 caliber in a short barrel fits nicely in a purse.

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

357 mag airweight snub nose revolver with 38 special wadcutters for practice, is what i got for my wife and worked out well for her. my $0.02 worth. jm

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

DENNISMASTROLIA1

Smith & Wesson's "Lady Smith" is very nice. It's a .357 revolver with a short barrel. Specifically marketed to the ladies, its stocks are sized for their smaller hands.

A Lady Smith is the right size for purse, pocket, or fanny pack. Add that to its simplicity and absolute reliability and there isn't much not to like. That said, full house magnums run thru ANY small short barrel gun are brutal on the operator's end. You definately want to practice with .38 spl.

If economics are an issue, other manufacturers offer similar sized but less expensive units. However, they are often .38 spl only and may not even be rated for +P rounds.

sissy

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Glock 26 or 27,,,,10 or 12 rounds with the pinky exptender,,,and they don't jam.

Also agree with the S&W revolver,,,,hammerless models only in case she needs to use it while still in the purse.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Lady Smith. In Stainless, it also makes a perfect RV gun.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The new Ruger SP101 in 327 Fed Mag is a great little piece...mine has shown itself to be very accurate and a joy to carry

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I will go with Bob Dodd on this one. If you can let her decide sometimes the way a gun feels in your hand has a lot to do with the confidence. I have a few handguns of my own and she(the wife)doesn't like any of them she says they don't fit right.

Bob Lawless

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Since the gun will be carried in a purse, it can be a bit larger than something intended to be concealed on the person. I would search for a 2 1/2" M19 or M15 (or similar .38/.357 K frame model) S&W round butt. The heavier gun will be easier for her to learn to shoot than the typical 5 shot J frame guns. I would also put a set of small recoil absorbing rubber grips on the gun.

I would stay away from the auto loaders because they are more difficult to learn with and they are generally less reliable. (especially since this gun will be exposed ot purse debries).

I would also recomend some professional instruction to go with that new handgun.

13. larryjk

larryjk Member

In a revolver, my top choice is a S&W Model 60; 3" barrel, adjustable sights, rubber grip, either 357 or 38 Spec. can be used. My daughter had need for a handgun and son-in-law bought her a Model 60. She had tried mine and used it to protect herself. S-I-L liked it so well he bought himself one so she could always be armed. This S&W is a little smaller and lighter than a Ruger SP101. The S&W is also much easier to tune for a lighter pull in DA or single.
    Hard to beat.

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Check out the Springfield XD9mm sub-Compact. Holds 16+1 or the smaller clip 10+1.

Most importantly, is for her so shoot what feels good to her.

Jerbear

15. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I got a S$W J-frame 38 for my wife. Seems like it was a good trade!!!!!

16. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Don't want to be a butthead, but she does not need a gun to carry in her purse. Why give it to the first purse snatcher that comes by or the first person who sees it sitting on the floor by her desk.. Find her a good carry weapon and a holster to carry on her side.

With the assumption that something is better than nothing my wife carries a Keltec .380 or a ruger lcp with a belt clip for ultra concealment. For a side arm it is a glock 19 in a Don Hume holster.

Good luck and stay safe.

17. cls

cls Member

A revolver would be her best choice, they're safe and fool proof. Autos without manual safeties, like a Glock or the original model XD should not be considered. These are not well suited for carrying in a handbag.

The first reply received above from Bob Dodd is a good one. cls

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Lead Man and 1oz make sense.

Although I train with a Glock, for civilian, off duty carry a Smith 640 hammerless in 38 Spl gets the nod. You will not know I am carrying. If I have a mediocre grip on it, it will still shoot. If the gun winds up screwed into someone's belly button or eye, it will not jam. If I have a misfire, the stoppage reduction drill for this is to PULL THE TRIGGER AGAIN. :^)

If her firearm is in her purse, and she does not recognize a threat until it is in her face, she will not be able to access the firearm. She will likely lose the purse AND the firearm, after she gets scuffed up (if she is lucky).

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get the purse with the built in place for the pistol.

And put a 38 snubbie in it. In an emergency situation with a somewhat inexperienced person, the Double action revolver is the easiest to work. With training, more sophisitcated weapons may be feasible, but htis is a good starting point.

HM

20. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Kel-tec P3AT .380 with Corbon 90gr JHPs

Very light, easy DA pull (no single action) and can carry with one in chamber and 6 in the mag. No safety to worry about due to DA only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.