1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Handgun ammo information needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Literalist, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I've made no secret of the fact that I can barely tell a hangun from a power screwdriver...so please help the ignorant.

I want to buy some ammo as stocking stuffers for my son. He has a Ruger LCP and a Beretta 96 in .40 cal.

Now, all I know is one is .380 and the other .40. Is a .380 a .380 a .380?? And is a .40 a .40 a .40?? Any specific suggestions as to brand, type to buy? He has plenty of defense shells...so I'm thinking of plinkers and target practice ammo.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Denny:

I have somewhat limited experience in such matters but I believe power screwdrivers make marginally less noise when screwing than handguns do when shooting. Hope that helps.

sissy : )

3. The Literalist

Sissy, I assume that depends on the caliber of the screwdriver. :)

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

A "380 auto" is a 380 period. A 40 S@W caliber is a 40 or 40 auto. The 380 will probably be 85-95 grain full metal jackets---FMJ's. The 40 can be the same just for a stocking stuffer. One should let the owner pick his self defense ammo and you will be fine doing what you are doing.

Stay with Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, Winchester USA. You could even go PMC Bronze line. Independence or CCI Blazer Brass is also ok.

Unless it is YOUR GUNS....stay away from steel cased ammo such as Wolf or Bear that comes from Russia.

We just sold 12,000 rounds of PMC in 45 acp that is pretty good practice stuff. Don't know how much you need but if I can help contact me via PM.

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Try WALMART first, Name brand ammunition at the best prices out there.

I use 100 rnd boxes of Winchester .40S&W. They are currently $28.95/box here in CA.

Most outfits want that much for 50 rnd boxes.

They also have .380 auto ammo.

Shop there first and then look else where, you'll see the differences in pricing. I have not seen any of the large mail order houses match Walmart prices. They are all 20% to 50% higher.

Randy

6. The Literalist

Thanks, guys. Very helpful. Just what I needed!

7. DANNY

DANNY Member

Literalist, as someone that shoots a fair amount of handgun ammo, I agree with what deer creek said. Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.