1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

handcap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

iwas thinking of reloading havent reloaded in about ten years.i buy my practice loads for 45.00 per case. so i was just thinking about handcap so can i save money and what is a good load .i think i was loading greendot.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

With shot expensive right now, not sure you can do better than 45.00 a case. That said, I love to remanufacture my own loads, regardless of price concerns.

Green Dot would be a great choice for handicap loads if you like Nitro 27 type of performance. I am sure there are others, but I like GD for a slower powder.

If I remember right, I was loading 1-1/8 of 7-1/2's, Win Wad, W209 primer and 21 grains of GD in a Nitro or STS hull. Check the web site of your powder supplier and there are hundreds of recipes to choose from. Make sure you beg, borrow or snag a powder scale, as the bushing recommendations are just good starting points. Especially if you like hotter loads, where pressure can become an issue.

You could save using a cheaper primer and clone wad. The Downrange wads I have sampled from Kevin have been terrific, and I can't wait to stock up on them. I don't believe you would lose any performance using Fiocci and DR wads for example. I plan to when my supplies run down. I buy in volume, thus it takes a long time to run out.

Good Luck!!

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not believe you can find a better powder than Green Dot for handicap loads.

Pat Ireland

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Personally, I like 700X for my 1-1/8 oz. handicap load (1250 fps) and my 1 oz load @ 1200 fps. Very simple changing procedure on the reloader....

Curt

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Green Dot is a VERY GOOD Handicap powder and gives excellent patterns. It is more sensitive to proper hull/ wad configerations(especially in cold weather)than the faster burning powders, and I recommend using the proper recomendened wads such as straight wall wads for straight wall hulls). It is fairly easy on the shoulder and meters well in most reloaders. It has a medium burn rate and is fairly consistant in performance.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Didreckson: That is the exact load I use in my 27 yard handycap load, except I use a AA hull. The best load I've ever shot. I use to use 700x in this load (many years) but, it got to wacking me to much. So, I changed to Green Dot. I have been loading this shell for $4.30 per box.