1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hand tossed clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kyle Spieles, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I know this is a little off topic but I would appreciate your help. I was watching Top Shot on Sunday night and was real interested in hand tossing clays and shooting them. I have seen several videos of guys tossing them in the air. (trick shooting) Is there a certain technique of doing this? Any tips are greatly appreciated. I am looking at getting a Beretta Xtrema 2 KO with an extension tube for 10 shots. Thanks.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have seen it in person several times. It takes a lot of both shooting and tossing practice.

Pat Ireland

3. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Google Tom Knapp, or just do a search on YouTube. He is truly the master of the clay "chuck." If I'm not mistaken, he at one time, or maybe still holds, the world record for the most hand-thrown targets to be shot before hitting the ground. The guy is incredible.

4. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

I have friend who can break four. I'm lucky if I can break two. Its all about how you get them to spread out, and then seeing how they spread and shooting them in the right order. Its not as easy as it looks but it is fun to try once in a while.

U Tube "Tom Knapp" If you haven't seen him shoot before you might enjoy it.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The trick is to throw them high enough so you can shoot under them. HMB

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

You gotta throw them high, and shoot from the bottom up as they fall....watch Knapp and the others, they seem to toss them so they go up with the top side down. That is, they hold them upside down in their hands and sling them up underhanded.

I've done four a few times but never more than that.

7. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

what type of choke would you recommend for this?

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

mod is my choice...I tried IC and Skeet and sometimes broke two if they were close together (with one shot...don't think that's fair)

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

It has been said that the late Herb Parsons was the best there has ever been at the art of throwing the hand tossed clays. A method that not all have mastered.

In 1957, while putting on a demonstration for the Scout-O-Rama in the Los Angeles Coliseum, Herb's 14 year old son Lynn, who was a Boy Scout at the time, participated with his Dad.

Herb took Lynn's Model 12 20 Ga. and snuck in 6 shells (Normally 5), and for the first time ever for Lynn, Herb tossed up 6 clays to shoot at, all the while without Lynn knowing there were going to be 6. Lynn got them all, the last one 5 feet from the stairs...He said he wished there had been 7...LOL

Look up Theshowmanshooter.com...real interesting reading about Herb.

If I sound partial, I am...I am studying everything I can about this famous fellow Herb. I have learned a lot with a lot of learning to go...

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.