1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hand tightening chokes????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

FWIW: Have Briley extended chokes in the BT-99. Have been snugging them down by hand. Last night while cleaning the gun/choke found the choke to be a little too loose for my taste. Pulled the choke during the cleaning and found a small dent in the back edge. The edge was bent inward...nothing drastic but enough to concern me. Don't want any constriction in the bore. At the range today showed a few fellows and two of them concurred - always use a wrench to tighten the chokes. Loose choke can cause this problem. Have been snugging them down by hand until it can't be tightened down anymore. Guess it wasn't enough. Just cleaned the gun again after today's four rounds and used the wrench this time. btw: was able to put the back end of the choke against the ball peen of a hammer and gently tap it back into shape. Very little effort brought it back to snuff.

That is all. Carry on.
    Billster

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There are special choke skirt flaring tools made for this exact purpose.

Sporting clays shooters usually hand tighten only so they can swap chokes between rounds. But they also hand tighten chokes after every stand, which is fewer rounds fired than what trapshooters shoot.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I was shooting sporting clays in a tournament when a fellow shooter asked me if he could borrow a choke wrench for his Beretta AL-390. He said his choke was "stuck". He further explained that there was a piece of plastic between the choke and the barrel. Being a curious fellow I asked to see his gun. There was indeed a piece of plastic wad protruding between the extended choke and the barrel! I removed the barrel and you could see that the base of the choke was pushed inward away from the bore when viewed from the breach. I told him that he should stop shooting the gun which he did. He had been hand tightening his chokes and when the choke came loose plastic from the wads was driven between the choke and the bore for the complete length of the choke!

He returned the barrel to Balistic Specialties and they replaced it (lucky for him as it was a expensive aftermarket barrel).

I would expect similar damage could occur if you damage a choke by dropping it.

Jim Skeel

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I always snug 'em up with a wrench, never had one come loose------FWIW

John C. Saubak

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Little tiny dent in a choke tube can result in the tube being blown off the barrel with resulting irreparable damage to the barrel. Been there done that unfortunately. If you ever drop a choke even a little distance you should make darn sure it is perfect or don't use it. Jake

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Didn't some English champ sporting clays guy named "Smoker" use water to "rust in" his chokes for that reason?

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks for the responses on this. Always used to wrench the chokes in until someone told me the knurled end of the ext. chokes were for hand tightening and eliminates wrenching. I think to play it safe i'll order another choke and park this one. cheaper than a barrel/emergency room visit. that plastic debris story convinced me.

btw: watched a guy pull the choke out of his beretta the other day and was amazed that the threads were on the muzzle end of the choke leaving an entire unsecured skirt back into the barrel. thought that looked like bad design.

cheers all
    bill

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Nothing wrong with the Beretta (with an upper case B)tube design. The skirt end can't go anywhere the threaded end can't go....

By the way, my factory Beretta (with an upper case B) extended tubes have no provision for a wrench, even though it came with a wrench for the flush tubes.
    I have no problem with hand tightening....but, perhaps skeet shooters have stronger hands than you girly-men? :eek: :)

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Choke wrench tool: (1) Go to home improvement store. (2) Go to section where wooden dowls are sold. (3) Firstly, look in the trash can for a free sample of dowl size. (4) Buy/take the piece of wooden dowl. (5) Go home and sand in a taper...(6) And you have a "poor man's" choke wrench. Yeah, I try to be cost effective which is absurd, I know, 'cause I like to shoot at trap targets...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hand tighten chock tubes

hand tighten extended choke tubes