1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hand Surgery Experience???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Just found out from the hand doctor that my arthritic thumb need surgery ASAP. They plan to remove some bones and reattach ligaments to the thumb, kind of like Tommy John surgery. This scares the "heck" out of me... has anyone else had this surgery? What about recovery? P.S. I went from a AA shooter to a B shooter in a year due to the pain and loss of strength in the thumbs. Fred

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Fred. I have not had that hand surgery, alothough I have the same condition. Perhpas not to the extent that you do. But I had a index finger middle joint replaced and the first joimt fused 18 months ago and it is only now that I can forget about it. Hands and fingers take a long time to heal. You would think it would be a quick recovery, but just the opposite is true. I hav ethe same on and off pain all day and have found that hand strengthening exercises help me I use a black "Gripmaster" for my right hand and a blue one fo rmy left hand. Too, I use rubber bands to strengthen my fingers (and thumbs) by spreading my fingers out against the bands. If you would like pics of this, holler. You may be able to put off the surgery with exercises. My hand doc said essentially I had a condition that Ihad to live with. I can no longer shake hads due to the pain associated with the process. Now I try and "bump fists". My friends understand.

My most recent trip to the hand doc was about 1 month ago. the xrays show the extent of the wear, the subsequent bone spurs, and th elack of cartilage space. It is a rough bone on bone joint and it is the one that fits into the wrist. But the hand exercises work for me. But I can still use my thumbs in a mostly normal fashion. Sounds like your is worse.

Jack

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Thanks.. I need to do alot more info gathering before I let them ruin my hand and my life. They make it sound way too easy [for them]. The threat is that if I don't let them cut, the hand and grip will become deformed over time. Please keep the information coming in. Fred

4. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

i have never had surgery on my hand, but last year i had surgery for my foot. i had a talo-calconeal coalition. they cut in split the joint and inserted foam in between. long story short, i regret it, i have had nothing but problems, it is worse then before. btw acupuncture didnt work, pain pills are about it. i would suggest getting another if not more opinions, unfortunately i didnt.

Chris Gerber

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My right index finger is "notchy" when I retract and extent it and is worsening to the point that the pain wakes me at night occasionally. Just last night, I woke up with my finger back as if I was making a fist but it wouldn't straighten. The pain was terrible and I had to straighten it with my other hand - when it did straighten, it felt like something let go inside my hand.

My orthopedic surgeon gave me an injection in the hand a few months ago that helped a lot but only for a short period of time. Fortunately, so far the condition has not interfered with pulling or releasing a trigger.

Ed

6. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

I'm nervous as h*** about this also. I'm waiting on a call from the Dr's office now telling me when to come in for my "new thumb". Was supposed to have been done a week ago but other problems arose preventing the operation. Two people have given me conflicting information about the results. I guess it's who does the operation and how well you heal.

I have 12 flats of shells loaded up but haven't been able to shoot this year! Bummer, HarryC.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What will happen is that you over time- change your life because of the pain- you dont realize it but you do in a large way

Pain pills wont help or will be part of this change

I had a bunion surgery where they "cleaned" up the joint- moved my toe over 1/2 inch--- it hurt for awhile but after- it cleared up the issue completely

Now- you still have the possible complications of any surgery and after you wont be superman- you wont weigh any less- look any better- be able to climb tall buildings.

But- this cleaning up the joints- ie remove bone that is grinding together- is a pretty simple concept to grasp- if its cleaned out- your life goes back to essentially what it was as far as the hand goes -- several years ago

Complications are what you need to consider-- and generally the conventional wisdom is the check the doctor out as much or more than the surgery

The more procedures of this type that he has done - the better as long as he hasnt had a room full of complications

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- doesnt sound like Tommy John surgery at all- did your doc tell you that?

8. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Fred,

You might want to consider getting a shot of cortisone in your hand(s). Sometimes the stuff does wonders and actually lasts for a very long time. It is a form of a steroid so easy does it, but a doctor will cautiously control that. Might be worth a try. Good luck.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Gene and John: had the shot of cortisone and WOW that HURTS! Feeling better this morning. The Tommy John reference was my own refering to moving tendons from the arm to the thumb where the bone use to be. Just my way of trying to put a positive spin on doctors taking out my body parts. I understand smoothing out and cleaning up joints... but removing complete bones in my shooting and writing hand frightens me. Fred

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Hey Fred,

I've had hand surgery to reattach tendons, took 2 to do the job, went for a third but under state heath care, they refused to let the doc. do it! (Keep Fed's out of heath care!)

Still paying for their refusal!!

Therapy is going to be your worse experince.

Good Luck!

11. soup

soup Member

FRED ,
    Read your PM . I had this job done about 4-5 years ago. I was 55 or 56 . removed part of the bone in my right thumb & replaced it with a tendon from inside my forearm .
    It is a Godsend. No more pain & use of my hand ,I'd do it again tomorrow in a heartbeat.

you will be back on the forum no more than 2 days after the surgery -but typeing chicken style.

Schedule it TODAY .
    BILL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.