1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hand stress

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Redcobra, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I have been shooting a lot lately. well at least for me, a lot. 15-20 rounds per week. I have been having pain in my shooting hand. It's the ligament on top of the hand connected to the trigger finger. It feels strained.
    I have the trigger moved back as far as possible on my Guerini Impact to shorten the grip to trigger distance.
    Any thoughts, other than "shoot less?"
  2. DanLee

DanLee Member

Apr 19, 2009
    See a doc. You're describing a form of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome known as "trigger finger." I just had surgery for it.
  3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Conrad, Mondamtana
    Get a magnetic pad and set that gun down on the ground when you are not shooting, between shots. You cannot believe how much that makes a difference in a 300 bird day of trap. Scott
  4. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Oct 11, 2008
    I had the same problem earlier this year. First let me say the best advice so far is to see a doctor.

Next, getting the pad will accomplish the same thing I did.

I found that in between shots I was extending my trigger finger straight out along the side of the receiver so all I had to do was drop it down into the trigger guard when I was ready. For a calm day of fun shooting there wasn't any stress but in ATA shoots I was gripping the gun like my life depended on it. This was stretching the tendon(s) and causing my discomfort. I moved my trigger finger down with the rest (gripping the pistol grip with all 4 fingers) and just moved it up into the trigger guard when ready. This takes the stress off and the pain has since stopped.

So, see the doctor or get a pad or check to see if you are somehow causing the problem and can solve it by changing how you rest in between shots.

Hope it helps and break 'em all...

5. Franktri

Franktri Member

Mar 30, 2009
    If it's carpel tunnel, take care of it immediately. There is a point of no return as it progresses. That has happened to me and I have a permanent numbness in the thumb and forefinger..
    Hand stress: I have extremely weak wrists and I use a soft wrist brace and it helps. Give it a try!!
  6. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Could be that you just need a girlfriend!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.