1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hand pull verses voice pull

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by arkolaron, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkolaron

arkolaron TS Member

I need your help i know that a hand poll is a legal target but if half of the houses have voice poll and the other half have hand pulls and the hand pulls are from 1/2 to1 second late is that a fair compition and the put in that all the shooters were from 11 to 18 years old and this was there first comptition i need a number of who thinks it fair comp. or unfair thanks

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'd say it would be un-fair if some shooters had to shoot over hand pulls only while other shooters got to shoot over voice pulls only. OTOH, if all shooters shot over an equal number of voice pulls vs hand pulls during the course of the event, I think THAT would be fair.

John C. Saubak

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Considering that they are 11-18 year olds, then I would agree with John. Though I will say, with experienced shooters, it shouldn't matter; shooting off voice or hand pulls, you shouldn't be expecting the bird to be right where you want it at the same time everytime, you should be waiting until you see the bird, lock your eyes on it, move to the bird, and smash it. Just a little venting from an experience I had with an "experienced" shooter last year. Josh

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Old Cowboy made a fair statement, that shoould be the way it is done.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

This can be a problem at some clubs. If a club has voice release on the first 8 traps and uses hand pulls on the last 4 traps, it would be difficult to have everyone shoot equal numbers of targets on both types or releases.

But, it is not uncommon to find other differences among the traps at one club. Some may have better background, some houses may be a little high and other houses may not be facing the ideal direction. Also, on some days most squads may shoot when the Sun is bright and a few others get to shoot in a rain storm.

The term fair is not exactly the same as the term equal. The best the club can do is a random bank draw system and we should try to shoot our best under the conditions we draw.

Pat Ireland

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

What cowboy says. Were I the trap chairman at a club that had to deal with some automatics and some handsets, some voice calls, some hand pulls, I'd endeavor to arrange the experience so everyone spent as much time on all possibilities as the next....Bob Dodd

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

A radical solution would be to change the traditional call of "PULL" to an arbitrary release of the target based on the judgement of the puller that the shooter was ready to shoot. If target shooting is supposed to mimic bird shooting in the field this makes sense and, at the same time, sharpens the shooter's alert awareness.

It also adds some fun to a game that has become boring to many. We do it occasionally. Don't knock it until you try it.

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Just shoot the target when it appears know earlier know later.

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

Bigheap. That is a really good practice technique to teach people to keep their barrel still until you see the target.

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

A, lesson 1, life is not fair. In my opinion, a less experienced shooter will be less affected by the lag times than one more experienced.

11. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I put my vote with Pat. It's similar to getting a drivers license and not knowing how to drive a stick shift............Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.