1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hand gun sent through mail???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Just interested---How do U send a hand gun through the mail? I was in the PO and there is a sign on the wall ---No hand guns allowed to be sent through the mail---UPS wont send either---How do U do it?---Thanks---George

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

FedX Express...

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

UPS...

You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS StoreĀ® or any third party retailer.
    When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
    You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.

3. philk

philk Member

Don`t ask, don`t tell.

4. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I always ship through USPS .I first go to my FFL dealer and he puts the gun in the book then gives me one of his labels and a paper to show at the counter.Never had a problem.

5. uplate

uplate TS Member

Priority mail with insurance and delivery confirmation. Agree with " don't ask,
    don't tell." Next one I send will be in one of their own flat rate boxes. My
    local post office never asks whats in a box, only if it contains any liquids
    or hazardous materials.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

southjblue- Perhaps you should have asked the question"How do you legally ship a hand gun. Several illegal suggestions have been made above. I don't really care if you send a hand gun illegally through the mail, but my Uncle Sam might care.

Pat Ireland

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've sent and received many dozen handguns through the mail over the years without incident. I usually try to use the flat rate priority mail boxes with insurance and delivery confirmation. I suggest your local post office must have created it's own set of regulations. I'm also a dealer!!

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I thought there was a Fed law that all handguns have to go air???

9. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I am a ffl dealer and ship USPS regestered mail all the time with all guns. I have a copy of my FFL at the PO on file, I also fill out a PO form 1508 statement to ship a firearm they keep that form on file for a year. thanks Ronnie

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

---------

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

--------------------

A good read on USPS rules:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065404

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The only hadgun I would sneak through the USPS would be one I could afford to lose.

Try collecting insurance on an illegal shipment, you might get a vacation at the Crowbar Hotel.

HM

12. SCL

SCL Member

I've shipped a couple of shotguns before but one thing that always struck me as odd was that the package can't be marked as a firearm, which makes sense to keep bad things from happening, but you have to tell the clerk your giving it to, who tells their supervisor, which brings attention from every other clerk and customer in the whole damn place. When I shippe UPS, this happened to me, and the nice lady who was next in line looked at me and said, " I'll bet you never tell them that again!" We both had a good laugh.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

As far as long guns ... it must vary depending on the personnel at your Post Office. At mine, I have shipped long guns with no problem. Their question is what's in the package, I say shotgun. their next question is "Do you want to insure it?" That's it!

Never tried shipping a handgun.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

HM you have more to lose than the handgun- like your personal freedom- in jail they dont allow union meetings

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. oleolliedawg

UPS created their own set of rules because of the high volume of handguns that disappeared while in transit. License holders must ship next day air saver for all handguns while non-licensees must ship through a license holder.

USPS does not forbid shipments between license holders at this time. That means no additional restrictions!!

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Way too much incorrect and dangerous information on here.

CAPS added for emphasis.

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. HANDGUNS ARE NOT MAILABLE. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/27cfr_part478.pdf

Is an extended stay in the gray bar hotel with Bubba, and a hefty fine, worth the $20 or $30 savings to you????

17. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Oleolliedawg

Joe Potosky copied the federal regulations. What part of it don't you get? Your post above says you've sent many dozens of handguns through the mail. You really should not CONFESS here, you just don't know who might be reading.

And remember, don't bend over to pick up the soap.

Bob

18. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

wholesalers send long guns through UPS and handguns through Fed X

19. oleolliedawg

Bob, you seem to have missed a key word "non-licensee". We all should know that non-licensees cannot ship any handgun anywhere. You might also see that statement suggests a non-licensee must ship a handgun through a contract carrier. No contract carrier I know will accept that kind of shipment.

Jerry's Sports Center-the largest wholesaler in the country ships it's handguns by UPS!!

20. oleolliedawg

Bob, I suppose over the last 20 years I should have been spending plenty of time with Bubba in a small cell. It's not rocket science to send a Flat Rate Priority Mail package to Joe's Gun Shop in Timbuctu Iowa from Andy's Guns in PA, insured for $750 with signature confirmation and not know it's a handgun. Post office clerks are not that stupid!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.