1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hand gun ??More info?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have a Russian made handgun---Makarov 9 mm---Bought several yrs ago and never shot the thing--It's NIB-I'm not a handgun guy and wondering if this gun is any good---Any info appreciated---You can't hurt my feelings---Just wondering and what's it's value---Thanks---George

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Is it any good? It's Russian. It's not glamorous. It's made to work.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I want to buy a good hand gun for protection that is good---smooth---accurate and info on suggested caliber---and suggested price---Thanks---George

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

George--Are you looking for one to carry or just have at home/vehicle? That should play into your decision as some guns are harder to conceal and too heavy to be comfortable.

Matt

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Matt---I don't have license to carry so thats out---This Russian one is not smooth---Maybe cause it's new---Just got the bug to have something thats nice and easy to use---I have a p-38 and this 9mm---Never shot either and never shot a handgun since the Navy---George

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

That Makarov is a good pistol design. Unless it is damaged, I do not see any reason not to depend on it. Mine was a very dependable pistol. There are replacement barrels that can convert the pistol to use .380 ammo, that is easier to find and available in hollow points. The old barrel taps out with a brass hammer, and the new one installs with a piece of threaded rod, a couple washers and nuts. Mine was brand new and only cost $150.00. The conversion barrel was ordered out of shotgun news for about $60.00. I ended up with a good shooting .380 for just over $200.

7. grntitan

A handgun for home protection i would recommend a .45 of some sort. They are more expensive to shoot than 9mm if you don't reload but the power is no contest. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a 9mm. I had a S&W Sigma 9 and it was a nice shooting gun and not real expensive. It looks like a Glock copy. Tough to beat a good revolver in .357 as well. I wouldn't go smaller than the 9mm especially if its not for carry. JM2Cents

Matt

8. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Matt is right. And once you answer that question you'll get around a thousand recommendations, LOL. The Makarov was the standard Russian military sidearm for many years. I own one made by Baikal and it has never misfired. Some will say that the caliber is too small as always, but I think it makes a fine sidearm. They tend to sell in the $150-200 range in good condition. Dave

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Dave---Mine is Baikal IJ-70 what ever that means---It's not smooth like my P-38.
    Guess because it's never been shot---Thanks---George

10. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Same as mine. Put a few boxes thru it with only a light lube between boxes. Then clean it and lube it up good. It will smooth up. Per above, 9mm or bigger for home defense. If you plan to school your wife on one, the .357 revolver recommendation is a good one. Easier to teach, simpler to use.

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks to all so far---George

12. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

By the way George, that P-38 is a hunk of junk. I'll give you $50 if you want to get rid of it. :)

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Hawk---Do you think it's worth that much?---George

14. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

I'm feeling charitable tonight.

Truth be known, my home defense gun is a 18" barrelled Mossberg 500. 00 buck with the third and sixth shells being slugs - for that finishing touch.

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Hawk---Aren't you supposed to have a plug in that gun???

16. grntitan

George--You only have to use a magazine plug when hunting. When hunting you cannot have a shotgun capable of holding more than 3 total in the gun. At least thats the way it is in IL anyway.

Matt

17. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Plug? You're talking to a guy who wanted to set up a black market claymore with a trip wire leading into my gun room, but my wife threatened to have me committed. What a wimp.

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Matt---When someone breaks into your house is that called hunting?Just wondering---George

19. grntitan

George--I call that target practice. I keep a loaded Colt .45 close by. My main home protection gun is my AR15 with Hornady TAP ammo. May be a little overkill but makes me feel safe.

Matt

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Hawk---I was thinking of a bear trap---The one with claws and chained to the studs---Then what do you do?George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.