1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hammer type gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

I have an Old 16gauge single shot shotgun.It is a hammer gun,meaning you have to pull hammer back to fire it.Would you use such a gun to shoot trap,are there any ill effects that could happen.It's just something I've wondered about and was thinking of tinkering with just for fun.But,would the stress of trap shooting take too big of a toll on it.I've seen guns on here modifed to shoot trap.Was thinking of slowly doing the same to it.Just beause I like 16 gauge guns,,I shoot a 12 sportin clay for trap at this time.

Just wondering.

Doug H.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

There are lots of 'dependings' and yes, if you shoot modern loads in it - ASSUMING IT IS PROVED FOR SMOKELESS - you may shoot it loose, but you won't be a danger to yourself or your squad.

Bob

3. shotgunjerry

shotgunjerry Active Member

Arnold Reigger, one of the best trap shooters of all time started shooting trap with a single barrell hammer gun made by Winchester, don,t remember the model # but it cost about 24.00 back in the 50,s and he was winning and beating the shooters with the 300, 400 dollar trap guns. He wore out a couple of them and Winchester built him one with a rib on it, I don,t think he used it though he went to using a Model 12 Trap gun.

4. shotgunjerry

shotgunjerry Active Member

I looked up the gun he Reigger was using, It was a Model 37 and after the war in the late 40,s at the Redmond Gun Club in Washinton state he broke 249 out of 250 in a shoot. Was high for the singles, he said 98,s and 99,s would generaly win in the single events.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I would save the old "16 gauge hammer gun" for other duties like rabbit hunting or still board shoots. Most of those old shooters were very light and had lots of recoil.

I used to have a 30" full 12 gauge Savage exposed hammer gun that was built like a tank. It would would take a squirrel out of the tallest trees and kill a dove almost over the horizon. However, I felt like I had died and gone to heaven when I got my first 12 gauge, 28" plain barrel modified choke Remington 870. In short, the 870 was easy to swing and hit where I looked.

My brother-in-law used to shoot a 16 gauge Stevens pump and my father-in-law shot a 16 gauge Steven double. They were excellent hunters and great shots. I have nothing against the 16 gauge except that the ammo is usually hard to find, expensive and selection is limited.

If you are are on a budget, look for an older 870 trap model even if it is not in "like new" condition, 870's last forever, are easy to repair and parts are inexpensive. 12 gauge ammo is IMO way less expensive than 16 gauge ammo and the cost of ammunition is a major cost in trap shooting

Good luck with your interest in trap shooting

6. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

I had a model 37 win. Whin i was young and killed a limit of greenheads with it one afternoon. One shot at a time At our club hammer guns are not allowed--- should you slip on cocking they will discharge. They can be dangerous in the hands of juniors. If you have one don't take it to the club.
    Marv White Auburn trap club

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Marv, are releaase triggers allowed there?

I have a 16 gauge Winchester 97 hammer gun I coulod be talked out of.

GneJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.