1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hammer Spring Removal on TM1?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I would like to remove the hammer spring on a "coil spring" TM1 trigger. I have looked at it closely and need some guidance. Thanks, Rick ~~~~Texas

2. setter

setter Member

Rick,

It's best to use the special tool for same, its like a pair of needle nose with a U shaped end. Check with Whiz above, he may have them. Else check with your trap shooting buddies, bound to be one nearby.

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

My son had one replaced recently. The gunsmith removed the hammer and it's pivot pin. He then slid the new spring into position, worked the hammer into place with his bare hands, and inserted the pivot pin. Took all of about two minutes. It seems to me you better have strong hands to try this. Marc

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Marc: You are certainly right....he has stronger hands than me.

5. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hi Rick:

You can cut a groove in the blade of a flat blade screwdriver, use that to hold the end of the rod that goes into the spring and lever the spring and rod into the hammer. Takes patience not a lot of brawn. G.E.G.

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Thanks GEG ....will make one tommorrow. Appreciate your input, as always. Rick

7. Barry

Barry Member

This is the TM spring tool. Works like a charm. Takes just seconds to remove/swap springs.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/dedapr/?action=view&current=TMTOOL.jpg

Interestingly, this tool was given to me by Danielle Perazzi from a post I did on this web site about 12 years ago. He enclosed a note to the effect that he's amazed that with all the TM guns in the U.S., he initially made a run of only 50 of these tools for Perazzi dealers and when they sold out he never got any further requests! Said he constantly wonders if Americans ever change their springs or how they could service TM triggers without one!

Barry
    [​IMG]

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tool Barry has above is better. But the screw driver works. Jus make sure to smooth all the edges of the nock. And hold a shop cloth over the spring and pin. You lever the screwdriver against the top of the hammer.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Why Perazzi never had to make more of those tools?

It is called, good old "American ingenuity".

We simply figured out how to do it and do it cheaper.

It may not be as handy as one of his tools, but it gets the job done.

Hauxfan!

10. Barry

Barry Member

MIA: It looks like your screwdriver tool would make easy work of removing the spring, but getting it back in might take some creative energy!

I've used the Perazzi tool on MT-6's, Brownings and other guns that use a coil hammer spring. It hasn't let me down yet!

For what it's worth, sometime around 1985 Wendel Schroll offered a hammer spring guide rod kit for this purpose. The rod had about a 1/16" hole in it about 5/8" from the pointy end. With the hammer cocked you could insert a paper clip through this hole and capture the spring and remove the spring and guide rod as a single unit. Reverse the process to install the spring and hammer guide rod as a single unit.

For replacing the spring he recommended using a the chuck of a drill press to compress the spring over the guide rod and then insert a paper clip (through the hole in his hammer guide rod) so that it could be re-installed as a single unit as described above.

It worked and I used it for years until I got the Perazzi tool.

One of the many things Danielle Perazzi explained to me about TM's, is that the coil spring is superior to a leaf spring in that it's faster, but the down side is that it's harder to remove/install than a leaf spring and it looses power and gets soft over time. Midway and others carry the hammer springs and they don't cost much. I replace mine every 6 months as I shoot my TM's quite a bit
    (I have 2 and shoot about 2,000 shells through each every month).

Enjoy your gun as it's the best true single barrel ever made!

Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi hammer spring tool

tool used to compress leaf spring guides