1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hamilton Teen Hits 200 Targets in a Row

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Hamilton Teen Hits 200 Targets in a Row to win Trap Shoot

<object height="264" width="320"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.kfbb.com/v/?i=98209959" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.kfbb.com/v/?i=98209959" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="264" wmode="transparent" width="320"></embed></object>

The 116th Annual Montana State Trap Shoot wrapped up today. This year's trap shoot was in Ulm and hosted by the Great Falls Trap Shooting Club. Participants compete for the chance to represent Montana in the national competition in Illinois.

One contestant did more than enough to secure his spot at nationals. Keiver Haldorson shot 200 clay pigeons in a row, getting a perfect score and realizing his goal. “I wanted to win state,” he says. And now that he has “It feels good.” He says he was in the zone and tried not to focus on the streak. Saying, “I tried not to think about it but its hard not to; just breath, focus on just that one bird.”

Ray McBride coaches the Hamilton teen and remembers first seeing him shoot. “I remember when he first started, oh he has come miles and miles,” he says. McBride says he's very proud of Keiver. Saying, “Keiver done something that’s almost impossible to do, I mean he shot a perfect score.”

Former champion Jack Hughes says the clay pigeons aren't hard to hit, they're just easy to miss. “[I’m] not doing as well as I liked to be doing, but I am glad to be here,” he says. Hughes says he enjoys coming back for the camaraderie, “I like to visit the people I've known, and I like to shoot,” he says.

The president of the Great Falls Trap Shooting Club says it takes a lot to put on this event, but he takes some time to shoot. “It’s tough to try and shoot and run a shoot at the same time, I mean there’s way too much stuff going on. But if I can’t come up here and shoot I have no business even being here,” Jerry Tabacco says.

Safety is a big concern at the shoot and when you’re not shooting you’re supposed to have your gun broken open with no shell in it. “Most everyone out here is very safety conscious of what’s going on,” Tabacco says. He adds they've had competitors from Maryland, Maine and even Australia in years past. For Keiver Haldorson, the trip was definitely worth it. Yesterday, Keiver turned 16 and hit 100 clay pigeons in a row from 16 yards out, at the 116th Annual Trap Shoot, just a wild coincidence. Ulm hosts the competition every four years.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Veteran outduels Junior shotgunner

After five days of 12-plus hours of shooting, the 116th Montana State Trap Shoot wrapped up with a Junior shotgunner having a chance to become the first Montana overall Singles event winner in six years.

Fresh off his 16th birthday, Keiver Halderson was in place to make a run at the state 16-yard title after two perfect rounds of 100 targets each. The only man standing in his way, Bill Camus, has been shooting clay longer than his young opponent has even been alive.
    The competitors squared off at the Great Falls Trap and Skeet Club on Sunday in a shoot-off for the top spot. Shoot-offs consist of 25-target rounds that last until a champion is crowned, but it didn't take long for the veteran's experience to show.
    Halderson, who traveled from Hamilton to the shoot with his family, fired at and missed a flying disc in the first round, his first unbroken target in two days. He finished with more than 220 successfully busted in a row but settling for runners-up honors.
    "I shot fast on that one that I missed," Halderson said after the playoff. "I had butterflies in my stomach." The teen admitted he was rushing his shots in the head-to-head action because of that anxiousness and it caused him to fall just short of his goal.
    By nailing each of the 25 shoot-off clay pigeons, the Sheridan-native Camus sealed a victory in the 16-yard event with a perfect score. While the younger competitor was feeling the tension of the moment, Camus said after years of shooting, he felt no pressure despite the circumstances.
    "I got rid of the pressure a long time ago," he said. "When it's there though, you've just got to ignore it. He'll get over that (the pressure) in a couple of years."
    The 16-yard winner added that he felt a little bad having to beat his young opponent and break the kid's streak. Not since a Butte Junior named Derek Stringer won the same title in 2004 has someone so young shot so well.
    "He's just starting out and you want him to do good but you can't give it to him either," Camus said.

Even coming in second, Halderson shattered his personal record with the performance. He said he'd never hit more than 50 targets in a row before Saturday, which was also his birthday, when he logged his first of two flawless 100s. Long before his shoot-off with the seasoned veteran the next day, Halderson said he had already battled to calm his nerves just trying to get to that first 100.

"Around that last five shots, I got real nervous," he said.
    He got a little bit of help from the target launcher, which delayed several times on his turn. Those precious bonus seconds were put to good use, Halderson said.

"It kind of helped me out," he said. "I could take an extra breath and calm down a little bit."

Regardless of the outcome of Sunday's overall Singles shoot-off, Halderson had already locked up the title in the Junior category for 15 to 17-year-olds. The victory won him a spot in the Grand American World Trap Shooting Championships in Sparta, Ill., in August and a chance to compete against as many as 6,000 shooters during the 13-day event. The World Shooting and Recreational Complex, which hosts the "Grand," boasts three miles of trap shooting ranges to accommodate one of the world's largest shotgunning event fields.
    Camus, having attended the trap spectacle several times already, said he won't go this year after winning the top Singles place in Montana. He then donated some of his winnings to the Halderson family to help them make the trip to Illinois next month.

"I'm grateful for the money," Halderson said. "That's very nice of him."
    But Camus also walked away from the trap club with more than just the Singles championship. On Saturday evening, the man won the Butte Rod and Gun Club Medal in an unregistered contest. The Sheridan gunsmith became the 113th man to get his name etched onto the trophy that has been annually presented since 1898.

In the battle for the all-around championship, Havre's Jimmy Litzinger and Derek Stringer were tied after each hit 394 of 400 targets and were set for a shoot-off of their own. After an additional 400 targets, they remained knotted up before Litzinger pulled ahead in a third set of 400 shots to win the title.
    Stringer had won four of the last six overall championships before coming up just short this year to Litzinger. Both of the men were past Junior Singles winners — just like Halderson this year.
    It'll be another four years before the State Shoot returns to the Great Falls area and Jerry Tabacco, the local club's president, is kind of glad to see it go.

"I'm very exhausted," he said after trying to run the event and shoot in it at the same time this week. "It'll be like a rest getting back to work." Tabacco, who's been staying in a camper on-sight, added that he's been so busy at the club, he's only been home twice in the last two weeks.
    With the shoot rotating between Missoula, Helena, Billings and here, Tabacco said he'll be relieved to be able to focus squarely on shooting next year when July comes around and it's Missoula's turn to host.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

most clay targets hit in a row in trapshooting

most trap targets broken in a row