1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hallowed Grounds - Pictures

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As some of you may know, I was "downsized" last week in a job working out of my home. I am in McLean VA this week on my last business trip. So I played hookie this afternoon and went to Arlington National Cemetery. This is my fourth visit but never in the winter and when the wreaths have been laid. Once again I was emotionally impacted by my visit, perhaps more than ever as I visited Section 60 - Persian Gulf. I encourage everyone to enjoy the pictures and if you ever get a chance to visit this sacred ground, do so. On a lighter note, I observed a burial for an Army General and it was very inpressive. However, the last photo is a ceremony for a Marine 4 star general. Fly overs by helicopters and a company of Marines w/howitzer salute. Boy they always get the glory! :eek:) Enjoy everyone.

blade819

2. Beni

Beni Member

My family took a trip to D.C. three years ago and stopped there. It trully is an awe inspiring place. We spent 5 hours there and did not see everything. Would like to see it now thanks for the photos great job and tribut to our fallen Hero's. thanks Beni

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

blade819,
    I tried to send you a p.m. but it wouldn't go through. I think you mean "hallowed" ground, not "hollowed" ground. Jack

4. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

There are very, very few Marines who have worn 4-stars.

5. blade819

Hallowed Ground...tnx... sometimes it's tuff on a laptop,

blade819

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife and I went to DC for the fourth of July celebration in 2005. We made a side trip to Arlington. It takes your breath away at first glance. It is a beautiful place for a cemetary. The tomb of the unknown soldier, The Kennedys family plot and of course Robert E, Lees home all in one place. Makes you feel very small in light of everything there. Thanks for the pics Blade. Bulge.

7. psfive

psfive Member

Amen. They are all my heroes! Paul in Nebraska.

8. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Thanks for the pictures, I hope to,see it myself someday. What is the significance of the larger headstones shown in one of your pictures vs the smaller white ones I am used to seeing?

Dan

9. blade819

It is my understanding that in the "old" days, the families had a choice of the std. white headstone or their own. Most large headstones, from what I observed, are General Officers, Medal of Honor recepients, or famous people like Joe Louis. The larger headstones are in the upper part of Arlington. I believe they started by burying at the foot of the Lee mansion and worked their way downward. The Army General that I observed yesterday is in an area that is at the door(2 blocks) of the Pentagon which I think is cool. It is also where the 9-11 Pentagon victims are buried in mass with a large memorial headstone. Didn't get to Audie Murphy's grave or the Kennedy for it was getting dark. It was a chance meeting but during the changing of the guard I met a fellow who was stationed in the Korean DMZ the same time I was, just one camp over from me. Once again, I recommend to everyone if you ever get a chance, visit the cemetery and also the Marine Memorial that is a few blocks away.

blade819

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

God Bless all the fallen soldiers. Semper Fi

11. Clay Target SSE

Clay Target SSE Active Member

This should stay athe top for a while.

JP

12. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

THANKS for the pictures and the sentiments!

These Hallowed Grounds exist all over the world. Everywhere we have fought (and won) we have asked for a small bit of land for our fallen heroes.

It has been my great fortune to be able to travel, and I have visited our military cemeteries in Arlington, near Florence in Italy, and near Manila in the Philippines.

It is remarkable how similar they are, all laid out in perfect rows and columns and with uniform headstones. One can sight along the fields from any direction or angle and see the precision in their resting places that they took on the parade fields.

It is relatively easy to provide the honor of these beautiful resting places, much harder to remember to give gratitude for their sacrifices.

Thanks for the pictures and reminder.
    -- Bob

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

May God Bless and Care for Them all. Past, present and future.

14. Donm

Donm Active Member

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. I have never been and don't know if I could emotionally handle it. My wife and I are going to Europe in April and plan on visiting the beaches of Normandy and the cemetary in Luxemburg where Patton is buried. I will try to remember to post some pictures here when we return.

Also thanks for the explination of the different head stones. I was going to ask about that.

Thanks again for your post.

Don Mittag
    USAF 68-72

15. blade819

Another interesting observation. They have maintenance crews with leaf blowers actually blowing leaves off all the gravesites. The entire place is immacilate. I have always been there on a weekend never on a weekday. It seemed that there was a funeral every 1/2 hr. A lighter note, I called my wife and told her I wanted to be buried Arlington. She reminded me that
    1) You have to either die in action or be retiured Military
    2) I'm going to cremated and my ashes shot out of shells during my Gun Club Wednesday Trap Shoot. Oh well.

Also, if you are undecided about what to get for your wife for Xmas, do like me and my wife and donate that money to the Wounded Warrior Project.

blade819

16. blade819

17. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

It has been about ten years for me. Knowing your background, did you make it to the "Wall". That's what tore me up.
    Steve

18. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Thank you,

Back to the top

19. blade819

Will play hookie again tomorrow and do Linciln, Jefferson, WWII and Korea Memorials. Also will do the WALL again for the fourth time but this time pre-Christmas and it will be emotional.

blade819
    US Army 1966-68

20. lacy

lacy TS Member

Betty and I took a tour of Arlington about three years ago, and were surprised to learn there are some Confederate soldiers buried there. Their headstones have a little peak on top instead of the being completely round.
    Lacy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.