1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hall of Fame trapshooters praise Cardinal Center

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame trapshooters praise Cardinal Center, lament ATA move to Illinois

D'Arcy Egan, The Plain Dealer

MARENGO, OHIO - Hall of Fame shotgunners Brad Dysinger of Grover Hill and Richard "R.D." Smith of Newcomerstown have wonderful memories of competing - and winning - in the legendary Grand American Trapshooting Tournament held for more than 80 years at the Amateur Trapshooting Association grounds in Vandalia, a Dayton suburb.

"The move (in 2005) to Sparta, Ill. was very upsetting," said Smith, who won national titles there, including father-son competitions with his sons, Ron, of Dover, and Richard, of Orrville. "The ATA could have stayed in Ohio if they'd made the effort. They moved a gun shooting championship to an anti-gun state."

Share Illinois offered a new facility after the ATA's Ohio neighbor, the Dayton International Airport, needed some of its property for expansion.

Smith said the Ohio State Trapshooting Association, which held its annual championship at Vandalia, struggled after the move.

"Because of the Cardinal Campground, built by Jack Fishburn, we now have a well-run Ohio State Shoot. Without Cardinal Campground, I don't know if the Ohio shoot would have survived. Now we're the largest state shoot and four of the five biggest shoots in the country are held here."

"The Cardinal Campground facility has not only been the salvation of Ohio trapshooting, but the salvation of trapshooting in this country," said Dysinger, who owns Thorn Bottom Hunting Preserve and Black Swamp Guns. "This is ground zero for our sport.

"We couldn't have expected this. Because of Fishburn, our state association went from the outhouse to the penthouse. The facility went from corn fields to trap fields over three months in 2006. Fishburn is a hands-on guy, and he and his family give us enormous support and are super to deal with."

Dysinger warns that trapshooting still has hurdles.

"On a national level, trapshooting officials have done a poor job of promoting the sport," said Dysinger. "About 35 percent of those competing this week are veteran or senior veteran shooters who are 65 or older. We need more kids to get involved with shooting and hunting."

http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2010/06/hall_of_fame_trapshjooters_pra.html#incart_rh

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

On a national level, maybe Brad could help promote the sport by supporting, or maybe even attending the Grand American, the sport's ultimate event!

3. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I have an idea Brad has done more for the sport than the majority of trap shooters.

Mark

4. rob111

rob111 Member

Before Mr.Dysinger gets crucified, I will tell a short story about this gentleman..Several years ago my grandson 12yrs old at that time asked in awe I will say, some of the pros. standing together. would you help me to shoot doubles..the answer to a man was sure attend on of our classes..At that time Mr Dysinger said Ill teach you for free.. Not knowing him ,I thanked him for the advise he gave my grandson.. Yes I will say he is without attending the grand.a true ambassador of trap shooting . Respectfully, Rob Mize 859-409 8886

5. handlepuller

I doubt he'll get crucified and I certainly don't mean to come across as doing so.

I just wish he and the Cardinal Center bunch that are so vocal on here would support the Grand as, and where, it is. Someone like him is no doubt looked up to by a lot of Ohio shooters as well as shooters from other states and his endorsement of the Grand and ATA might be beneficial to the sport.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I don,t know Mr. Dysinger and I think his words could of been a little different . But still agree with most he is saying .

I have never been to Sparta and have no plans to go . For me the Grand is gone and I miss it but it,s gone . We as members of the ATA need to remember the ATA is not and never was the only game town . Way more game shooters out here and they are trapshooters also (without the B.S).

Do to alot of problems with my health this will most likely be my last year as a member of the ATA . It,s no fun shooting when you hurt .

ALF

7. biff

biff Active Member

It is sooooo hard for some people to get over things, but evidently it is easier to criticize and find fault with something than to try to help fix it. Where were all the bad mouthers when they knew the Grand could no longer remain at Vandalia? Both Sparta and the Cardinal are good places to shoot, it is great to have such choices. The "Grand" is at Sparta and could use the support of all, even the Hall of Famers! Biff

8. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Many people do not attend the Grand in Sparta for a lot of reasons. Accomodations can't begin to come close to those offered in Dayton, Vandalia, or Morengo. This event is, for a lot of people, a vacation. If you have to stay 50 miles or more from the place, why go! There's other shoots that are much more convenient to attend.

The ATA really dropped the ball on this thing. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, Jerry Raacke, a past president of the ATA, Commented that he knew that something was going to have to be done. If you recall, during those times (80's and 90's) you paid a dollar on every entry and on your mandatory shells for a "relocation fee". The ATA collected this money for just such a relocation. In fact, I well remember Mr. Raacke saying that the ATA owned some property up in Ohio, just in case. Where is that money and that property now? I'm assuming that The ATA and Mr. Raacke were telling the truth at that time.

Some folks say that "the Grand is moved, get over it"! Well, thats a real cop-out. The ATA has put the Grand in a horrible location, out of desperation spawned from their own lack of planning and vision. Many people will never accept the "get over it" argument. The heart of trapshooting has always been in the Ohio, Pennylvania, New York and Michigan area. Illinois, with all due respect, isn't at the heart of it all, no matter how hard the ATA tries to "sell" it.

I would like to see the ATA get involved in the promotion of trapshooting like they were after and before the second world war. I was a youth right after WW II, but the ATA was THE organization at that time. Articles appeared in various magazines and newspapers. EVERYBODY I knew at the time, knew what the GRAND AMERICAN was. Press releases, before, during, and after the Grand were commonplace. People like Roy Rogers, Dan Orlich and so on, shot the Grand and they did a lot to promote the sport.

Maybe we can get back to that point someday. If the ATA will listen to the membership, it can happen. If they keep the "we know what is best for everybody" attitude, it won't happen.

For those of you who never experienced Vandalia, I hope that you enjoy Sparta. Vandalia and Dayton had more resturants than you could eat in, in a two week period. They had more motels to stay in than you could want. Until Sparta can match that, there's a lot of us who will just go to other shoots, like the one's at the Cardinal Center!

Jim Holian

9. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Well for me I go to the "GRAND" to shoot. And the Grand is in Sparta. Nuff said. Jake

10. handlepuller

LOL at Russ25.

Exactly!

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just can't let go and get on the same page. Just have to keep picking that scab and making it bleed.

I'm sure when Vandalia was started they had all kinds of motels, hotels, restaurants and no inconvenience at all. When you can build a trap line two miles long and can do in a metropolitan area without land cost out of sight please let the ATA know how it can be done.

Joe P thanks for stirring this pot up again, it's just what the shooters needed so they can get into another pissing match.

I'm off to a 100 year old state shoot on grounds which they OWN. HOORAY for Michigan.

Don

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The ATA didn't make a bad choice, they made the only choice they had left to make after they treated the folks from Texas like they were from a third world country ... The shooters have since responded loud and clear with the attendance dropping off more every year and there appears that there will be no change in site for the future unless they can get a Sugar Daddy or Sugar Momma to donate big time like Bill and Lee Ann Martin have this year ... The ATA will never be able to take the creidt for the $100,000 shootout but they are sure going to try and make it look like they were the inspiration ... Cardinal Center is run the way its run because its run by trapshooters, the IDNR runs the Grand and the ATA is only a figure head so to speak and it shows from the people I have talked to ... The bigger Cardinal Center gets, the smaller the WSRC in Sparta will get until it won't make sense to host a shoot there ... There are a lot of shooters who feel as Brad Dysinger feels and the silence is being ignored by the ATA, now that should come as a big surprise ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

SOS,SOP,DD- Same old S#!t, same old place, different day. "Sparta sucks,Cardinal center is great"- ok, got it for the millionth time. LET IT GO! The Grand ain't EVER gonna be in OHIO again..

Larry

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The Grand ain't EVER gonna be in OHIO again (And I don,t care)

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the ATA would of dealt with the people in Ohio like they dealt with the people in Texas, they would of ended up in Illinois, wait a second they did end up in Illinois ... NEVER MIND ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I am glad that Ohio was lucky enough to have a gentleman like Mr. Fishburn step up and build them a fantastic facility. Ohio had the great benefit of the ATA homegrounds for years, and facing the reality that the other 49 states always dealt with as far as facilities, surely was a shock.

I hope to get to Cardinal Center sometime to shoot. Great facilities, regardless of the state they are in can only help build interest in our sport.

As it stands they are only awarding Grand American trophies, and 100 Grand in Illinois, and that is where you must go in August for a chance to win.

17. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

No matter how you feel about the Grand being in Sparta, let's keep the facts true....Just so Noodle and everyone else will know, there were only 3 motels in Vandalia, one just across from the homegrounds, one at the airport and one where National Road crossed I-75. Morengo, to my knowledge doesn't have any motels. So you had to drive when at Vandalia, anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour (I know this as a fact, because we never had a camper at Vandalia, always had to stay at a motel.) Sparta has 4 motels in the city limts and three times the camping spaces. There are lots of motels along I-71 south of the Cardinal, but you have to drive. There are camping/cabins on the grounds and it is a very nice campground, but still not of a size equal to Sparta's number of spaces. At the present time, the Cardinal Center does not have enough traps to accomodate the Grand. That could change in the future, but for now, we are going to enjoy having two great places to shoot.

18. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

We are sitting at Cardinal Center this evening, and have been here since last Saturday....

We couldn't ask for a better run trapshooting event, and people who are involved. These facilities are spotless and beautiful...and every one of the staff have a huge smile on their face..."Friendly" is the only word to discribe this place.

Sure won't ever be able to attend Sparta because of location but after being here, we will return year after year...

Thank you Ohio, Cardinal Center and all the people who made this wonderful place happen.

Dave and Judy in SC

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Here is what I find funny, inconsistant, and false - "The ATA could have stayed in Ohio if they'd made the effort." This statement is total BS - the ATA was out of business in Ohio. AFTER the grand had moved, the Ohio Association found a sugar daddy to build a facility. People who are posting here have zero concept of development and construction costs. If Mr. Fishburn was trying to make money - he would not have build the new club cause he will never get his money out of it. The ATA never had enough money to put up a facility like Fishburn did, much less one as large as Sparta.

To claim the Cardinal Center is "salvation of trapshooting in the US" is really over the top. But Dysinger was excited and he should be. Ohio found a guy who does not care about money to build large trapshooting facility. Absent this billionare throwing money around, building a new club with private bucks is impossible unless you charged 15 bucks a round (25 shots). But cardinal center is not saving trapshooting in the US.

20. bubba at ohio

bubba at ohio TS Member

well said carla great post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.