1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HALL OF FAME ALTERNITIVES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Sep 7, 2013.

1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

How about putting it some place where it will get the most visitors it does not need to be at any shooting venue. Somewhere sane would be nice I did genuinely enjoyed going to the hall of fame when I did in Ohio and look forward to seeing it again. An example if in ILL make it Chicago a great city to sight see and visit with multi family places of interest. The EC is probably to mi optic for a vision like this makes too much common sense. A good example was the Art of the Motor cycle at the Museum of modern Art in NY the artsy fartsy crowd disapproved of the show. It turned out to be the biggest show in MOA's history by more than triple of any other showing. Trap shooting is a major part of America's rich history in shooting when huge crowds came to watch the shooters and big purses were paid. I would like to educate more people as to our place in American History and days gone by. I encourage anyone to think about this when placing the HOF in a spot that it will have greater access and family/tourist appeal not at a facility in the hinder land that only Grand shooters will attend. We owe it to the past shooters and history of the game to expose our history in a place of access and showing our best to anyone with the interest in history. I have visited the Cody Museum in Wyoming a commbo of fire arms and western history the best I have visited in the country that is a special Museum but we belong in a venue like that in my view.

This is not a anti Sparta thing but what I feel is a better idea for my/our sport and it's place in History there may be reasons this is not possible that I am not privy to but would like to here what you think.

2. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I attended the Grand in Vandalia in 2002 and visited the HOF on the Grounds. I plan to visit the new HOF on the grounds at Sparta where the Grand American Clay Target Championship events are held.

FRedmon

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

IMO the HOF permanent collection should be located near the ATA HQ. However, that said, I would think that a traveling HOF display for viewing, at the Satellite Grands would make for an added value attraction and the dollars spent would be a member benefit.

Have the permanent collection in Sparta, but send a representative collection for that season around the country...

Jay

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What does the EC have to do with HOF??

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Once again, the ATA (EC) and the HOF are separate organizations. If you look back at the old museum, it was located at the crossroads of two major interstates and near a major US city (Dayton). The number of visitors outside of shooters/attendees of the shoots was nearly zero. Trapshooting is not a national spectator sport. In my opinion, the museum should be where the new shooters come for their AIM/SCPT national competitions and where the Grand shooters come together. I agree that a traveling exhibit would be wonderful.

6. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

A traveling show would be FANTASTIC !! I personally think that would be a great job for Kenny Ray Estes.. I so enjoy his visits, I learn new things about our past history each and every time I visit with him!!

Jerry B

PS. As for location .. I agree it needs to be whereever the Championships are held.. (aka Sparta, for now)

7. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I look forward to seeing it in Sparta, and perhaps other trapshooters who do not participate in the Grand will be lured to visit it there as well.

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Flagarto,

You have to go a long way to beat Kenny Ray Estes. A walking, talking, history book of Trapshooting. Kenny Ray recites the history from it's beginning with pigeons under Top Hats, to today's modern equipment in use.

I personally know that Kenny Ray put on what he was hoping to be an annual Traveling THOF display. This first one was at the Canadian National Championships at the Hamilton Gun Club in Ontario Province (2008). This show went over so well he couldn't believe it. Canadian shooters came from all over with articles to DONATE to the THOF. Kenny Ray had his car full of donated articles to take back to the Vandalia facility. Truely amazing to see wives coming through to visit the history of Trap Shooting also. They told Kenny Ray that they never knew the rich history of the sport. Then there was an elderly gentleman by the name of Albert Hall (if memory serves me correctly), who came up the stairs with his canes, and waited to tell Kenny Ray HIS story of Canadian trap shooting history. It was just wonderful to take in all of this that would never had surfaced if it wasn't for the traveling THOF show that Kenny Ray put on.

I along with the others, would love to see a traveling display continue in the future.

Dave in SC

9. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Why were there no visitors to the H.O.F when it was located in Vandalia? I don't believe it was because no one was interested. One very important reason was who knew the Museum even existed except the ATA members?

Sitting right at the crossroads of America. The old Rt. 25 Dixie highway and Rt. 40 National Rd and being very close to interstate 75 and 70 the potential for a good number of visitors was there, but there was absolutely no advertising to promote the Museum. If nothing more than billboards along the 2 interstate highways North, South, East and West I'm sure that there would have been visitors to the Museum but there was nothing done to promote visitation. Our history could be a big factor in increasing our trapshooting membership, but if only trapshooters ever see our HOF how will it be able to help our sport grow?

Dave Berlet

10. JT 27

JT 27 Member

No way it would get into Chicago, it has guns in it! Too much to be in 1 semi but would it not be great to take it to every State Shoot and rotate around the conflicting states.

11. BigM-Perazzi

What a great addition to the satellite grands!

A traveling HOF.

12. BigM-Perazzi

which also neither the ATA or OSTA own....

13. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Big M who ever you might be you are wrong. The offer at the Cardinal Center was for the parcel of land to be deeded to the HOF,and it also included a sizeable monetary donation to go towards the building. This has been posted on here several times before.

Dave Berlet

14. BigM-Perazzi

Thanks for clarifying that.